Cobalt 360 & 496 HO Questions >

Cobalt 360 & 496 HO Questions

Notices

Cobalt 360 & 496 HO Questions

Old 07-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cobalt 360 & 496 HO Questions

I have a line on a 03 Cobalt 360 that I'm might try to make a move on... Here is the link, also listed on eBay.
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...T-360-96377848
I talked to the guy today and he told me the engines have 1000 hours on them. He said that the compression test came back good but was unsure if the risers or manifold had ever been changed (boat has been in salt water most of it's life). He also has no documentation on any kind of maintenance that has been done to the boat (might be a repo, probably is). Question is what is the rebuild intervals on 496 mag HO? Does anybody have experience with this boat? It might be a little early but if I can get it at the right price then I might have to go for it. Other boats I have been looking at are both the Formula 330 SS & Formula 370 SS (either Volvo 8.1's or 496's), any idea how these would compare? Top speed is not a major concern...comfortable ride, maintenance, maneuverability, and cockpit space are.
Before anybody jumps on me I did tell him that if I get the boat the sale would be pending a survey.
Finally it's listed through Internet Marine Sales IMS in AR, has anybody dealt with them before?
Thanks,
Aaron
Old 07-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1000hrs on 496's HOLY SHIATE.Maybe he means 500 and 500?

I'd count those as done....that's a crazy amount of hours.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Registered

If that is true you just made up my mind... Also keep in mind this is an express cruiser not a "go fast"...
Thanks,
Old 07-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a ton of hours. Not impossible in cruiser duty cycle, but I would budget for the worst. Unless you are really lucky, and the hour meters have a tenths digit, and they are really 100.0 I know I would never be so lucky...
Old 07-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok couple of things First I would have the engines scanned if they have 500 hrs each @1500-2000 rps they have a ton of life in them if they have 500 hrs each @ 5250 different story!they are close cooled (Plus) and if its a salt water boat you are most likely going to have to put manifolds on it !(Minus) also its a cruiser someone may have left the keys in the on position while at dock .. I know a boat on a Local lake here in nh 35 Regal that the guy did not have shore power at his dock and it has 800 hrs on each motor 695 hrs at idle recharging his battery's and running his A/c.. Look a little deeper 496s will break down the rpm and time cycle .. I worked for a Cobalt dealer the 360 is not a bad boat a little shallow in the Deadrise so if you run offshore hard ride but a well appointed day cruiser!I think where I worked had a 360 Listed or a guy who was going to list Give Rick or Dan a Call 978-777-1721 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************978-777-1721******end_of_the_skype_highlighting they may have a 323 also..
Bob Jordan

Last edited by blownincome; 07-15-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Might be a consideration for you here.

WWW.hutchinsonsboatworks.com

Check in the used boats for the Cobalt 360, fresh water only, clean boat. Call 315-482-9931, ask for Mark Lalonde, he is the owner and will treat you right. Tell him Peter B gave you the tip.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:43 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the leads & info guys... I'm sure that both are priced fair but for me to make a move right now I would basically have to steal one. I think I would be able to pick up the one I'm looking at for around 65K which makes it a no brainer provided I don't have to rebuild the engines in the first 2 years. I would be interested in seeing what the engine scans looked like. 1000 hours seems like a lot for an 03 but it's certainly not impossible. I wish I had that much time to spend on the water. Considering I did tell him that sale would be pending a survey I'm still going to pay attention and if I can get it at the right price, worst case cenerio I would be out the cost of the survey and a trip to AR if it doesn't check out.
How much does it cost to overhaul a 496HO? No upgrades just to bring it back to factory specs?
I'm also still interested in a real world comparision between the Cobalt and the Fromula 330SS and 370SS if anybody has info that would be great.
Thanks again
Aaron
Old 07-16-2010, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good friend of mine is looking to sell his 360. Its down in Lake Lanier Ga. I doubt he'd let it go for 65k, but might be willing to work with ya. pm me if you are interested.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alindquist
Thanks for all the leads & info guys... I'm sure that both are priced fair but for me to make a move right now I would basically have to steal one. I think I would be able to pick up the one I'm looking at for around 65K which makes it a no brainer provided I don't have to rebuild the engines in the first 2 years. I would be interested in seeing what the engine scans looked like. 1000 hours seems like a lot for an 03 but it's certainly not impossible. I wish I had that much time to spend on the water. Considering I did tell him that sale would be pending a survey I'm still going to pay attention and if I can get it at the right price, worst case cenerio I would be out the cost of the survey and a trip to AR if it doesn't check out.
How much does it cost to overhaul a 496HO? No upgrades just to bring it back to factory specs?
I'm also still interested in a real world comparision between the Cobalt and the Fromula 330SS and 370SS if anybody has info that would be great.
Thanks again
Aaron
Aaron
I S/W Dan At Eastcoast Flightcraft this morning He has a customer with a 360 looking to trade up to a 37 Cobalt Call him I told him your # budget wise might be workable I know the boat Extreemly well maintained.. 978-777-1721 Dan is also a formula dealer so He said he would answer any question you may have..
Bob
Old 07-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Registered

thanks for all the insight guys, the Cobalt sold for about 10K more than I wanted to spend... Hopfully I'll be in a bettter position to upgrade around the 1st of the year, untill then, I'll be hanging on with my current boat.