Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Catalina Ski Race - 62 miles while dragging a piece of meat from a rope in the ocean >

Catalina Ski Race - 62 miles while dragging a piece of meat from a rope in the ocean

Notices

Catalina Ski Race - 62 miles while dragging a piece of meat from a rope in the ocean

Old 07-16-2010, 10:22 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or a whale surfacing.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tbanzer
A friend of mine who is now 84 has a trophy from 1958. At that time they had a water skiing contest around Grand Island NY. The distance around the island was 28 miles and the boat at the time had a top speed of about 28 MPH. He completed the round trip in just over 1 hr. Pretty cool story when he tells it.
That is cool....! Now the times are less than 50 minutes.......do the math! FAAAAAAAAAAAAAST (over 70MPH average). I have watched the start many times.......my hands get nervous and wet just watching it! Sometimes over 100 boats at the start heading for a 1/4 mile opeing in the break water called Queens Gate (where the Queen Mary is). Crazy stuff!!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by E Colby
It's fun to cover the distance when you're the only one on the water practicing, but raceday is a whole other story. I attempted the race when I was writing for Powerboat and when 100 boats are headed for the Queen's Gate opening all at once to start the race, the water conditions are nothing short of hellacious. I wound up with a partially separated shoulder and cut my cheek on the tip of the ski. Have to admit that it felt pretty good covering the distance in practice and it was definitely interesting to learn that the rollers I went over when there were no boats around were caused by a submarine.
Nice....come on out next year! We'll get you a boat! You be the meat. They have all classes....over and back it good.......ski only one way and womeone else skis back.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Registered

Check this link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-el1H3PUG0
This record was set in the 80's and still stands.
I think attempts now have now been banned due to several deaths since.
Grant Torrens is behind a drag boat with no observer, i understand he used to just tell the driver before the pass how fast to go and the driver would just run the pass and look back at the end to see if Grant was still there!
Efin crazy!!
Old 07-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kurt Hamilton
Check this link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-el1H3PUG0
This record was set in the 80's and still stands.
I think attempts now have now been banned due to several deaths since.
Grant Torrens is behind a drag boat with no observer, i understand he used to just tell the driver before the pass how fast to go and the driver would just run the pass and look back at the end to see if Grant was still there!
Efin crazy!!
No one has died at this race. There are many records since there are many classes being raced at the same time, but that person you mentioned is not on the record list that I could find. See attached or go to http://catalinaskirace.net
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
recordholders.pdf (93.6 KB, 117 views)
Old 07-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Registered

Sorry
That link isnt about Catalina, its the World Water Ski Speed Record.
When i said people had died i didnt mean Catalina i meant attempting this record.
It was just ski race related so i posted it.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:01 AM
Registered

Pete Procter wins Catalina from multiple time winner Todd Haig in a drag to the finish! Some good photos of the finish at "River at Daves Place".
I got Pete lined up for next race over here in OZ. Cant wait. This kid can ski!
Check this footage
P.S. Its not footage of Catalina! So no confusion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BZxkx6DD0U
At the 3min mark things get interesting. Yes that ship is under steam!!
Old 07-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Registered

One of the coolest things I've ever seen. Didn't even know it existed. Where do you get a handle and ski like those?
Old 07-29-2010, 12:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
That is cool....! Now the times are less than 50 minutes.......do the math! FAAAAAAAAAAAAAST (over 70MPH average).
We got to hang out on the Victory Dock this year and watch 'em all come in, incredible endurance run!

Coolest thing to watch... they're pushin' hard on the last 1/4 mile to the to the Queen Mary...
Old 09-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Registered

Found this video on the SCOPE site. WOW!!!!

[youtube]<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V8LQKXLLujw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x234900& amp;color2=0x4e9e00&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V8LQKXLLujw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x234900& amp;color2=0x4e9e00&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>/[/youtube]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.