Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   need answers to "how much does your boat cost?" (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/23513-need-answers-how-much-does-your-boat-cost.html)

elimi 05-02-2002 02:13 AM

need answers to "how much does your boat cost?"

My wife and I own a 2002 26' eliminator daytona with tribal flames and a 1050 hp motor. Its very shiny and looks cool.
Since we are fairly new at owning a boat like this, we are surprised at the number of peiople that gather at the launch ramp and dock and ask questions. We answer all questions politelyand truthfully and talk to everyone who talks to us.
When someone asks how much we would tell them to guess and we would say higher or lower depending on their answer but not not actually saying the cost.
Anyways,last weekend at the dock I spent about 5 mins going over the boat with a lady who I never met before,taking extra time out of my day to answer all of her questions(before leaving to go boating all day too!)and then answered her question as to how much it costs with the usual guess and i'll telll if you are close.Well, after she learned the approxmate cost she blurts out in front of about 20 people "you guys must be drug dealers cuz' that the only kind of people who can afford something like this"
My wife and I work about 16hrs a day at our business and odn't have a lot social life or time off because we are choosing to make money instead and our new purchase made us feel really good about working our asses off.
We won't be telling anyone any cost now or even ballparking it because of thr rude comment of this lady.
I need a good response to "how much does it cost?" that doesn't come off sounding rude,arrogant or snotty but is also truthful because we are very honest and truthful people who don't like to lie(that's why we used to give ballpark figures when the cost question came up)The response needs to say I don't want to tell you,but not in those exact words.
Please assault us situations that you have been in and different experiences with the price situation.
We would like a lot of ideas so we can put together a good line or lines as summer is coming and so are the questions. Thanks in advance.

Bill272 05-02-2002 02:41 AM

I usually say "Less than a house on the water." Then again, ours is an 89 272 Formula, so it cost quite a bit less than a 2002 new boat (Must be nice...don't you worry about the cops raiding your house in the middle of the night???:eek: ) I've had a couple people say that the boat must cost a fortune, but I point out that they take a couple of weeks vacation, maybe to Disney and a cruise or Cancun every year. My boat costs less per year, I'm out every weekend and sometimes during the week, and I can write off the interest. And I'll get some of my money back down the road, since I bought it used and won't take that new boat depreciation when I sell it (something you drug dealers don't have to worry about.) :D :D ;) :rolleyes:

On the boat is one place where I feel none of the work week stress, get to hang out with friends, watch my kids grow up having a blast in the water, and that's worth every penny.

Audiofn 05-02-2002 02:46 AM

How do you put a price tag on this kind of joy :D:D

NASTY HABIT 05-02-2002 06:29 AM

Just tell them it's less than 10 kilo's :D

I u sually say " more than i care to admit"

mama tryed 05-02-2002 07:01 AM

When asked, I usually reply with" Cost? I'm not sure, but its 500 a month, for the rest of my life":D :D :D

wilerty 05-02-2002 07:22 AM

I usually say it costs less than one very very nice vacation a year but I get to use it all summer.

jbrauer 05-02-2002 07:43 AM

"More than I thought it would, but it's worth every penny!"

RedWarlock 05-02-2002 07:55 AM

Response...

At that point I usually ask what their annual salary is, and base my answer on how they react to that. Most people usually don't feel comfortable discussing it any further, as they usually get the point. If they're comfortable discussing their personal finances, then I usually tell them, IF I feel comfortable with them. :cool:

BadDog 05-02-2002 08:05 AM

I usually say, "less than it is worth to me".

CigDaze 05-02-2002 08:29 AM

Re: Response...

Originally posted by RedWarlock
At that point I usually ask what their annual salary is, and base my answer on how they react to that. Most people usually don't feel comfortable discussing it any further, as they usually get the point. If they're comfortable discussing their personal finances, then I usually tell them, IF I feel comfortable with them. :cool:
That's the same way I approach it...Immediately after the Q, I blurt out "Well, how much do you make a year?" No one actually responds, but they get the point and we usually laugh about it...