Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
deadliest catch and phil harris >

deadliest catch and phil harris

Notices

deadliest catch and phil harris

Old 07-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

During the whole show I was thinking about my Father who had a commercial fishing license on a very small scale. fished to pay for the boat,fuel,ect. I can say there where tears on my cheeks remembering fishing with him.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I do have to say...

As much as I have come to re-like the show, I think it's on purpose. The editors can make timing and story come together however they want. The storm and timing of Phil's death may not have coincided. The viewership tends to "legend-ize" these guys; and I'm not saying without reason. For those of you who have watched the show for years, I think you can tell that the show changed from a documentary to a real-life drama series as the producers and editors tuned their learning curve. It's still well done, and those fisherman have balls that clank.
deffinently true

but i have to say that this is the only tv i know of that has actualled followed it's documentry/reality cast to a death. no other show has lasted that long to attach itself to the viewers.

it is a great show and a sad loss
Old 07-21-2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by skaterdave
deffinently true

but i have to say that this is the only tv i know of that has actualled followed it's documentry/reality cast to a death. no other show has lasted that long to attach itself to the viewers.

it is a great show and a sad loss
I agree
Old 07-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I do have to say...

As much as I have come to re-like the show, I think it's on purpose. The editors can make timing and story come together however they want. The storm and timing of Phil's death may not have coincided. The viewership tends to "legend-ize" these guys; and I'm not saying without reason. For those of you who have watched the show for years, I think you can tell that the show changed from a documentary to a real-life drama series as the producers and editors tuned their learning curve. It's still well done, and those fisherman have balls that clank.
While I agree with that, I think there is also a learning curve by the guys. They have found what will get them more air time and I know for a fact have staged "incidents" to make some drama. Whether this is done with the approval of Discovery or not I have no idea. They still do everyday business and some of the stuff that happens is part of that, but there is an effort to make the show more interesting, not knocking it, it is a great show.

Interesting fact: It was Mike Rowe's idea. He developed it and did a season as a greenhorn to make a show called "Greenhorn" . As it was coming to production they also decided to make Dirty Jobs and wanted him to front that (also his idea) so they cut all his footage from the crabbing show and that is what became "Catch".
Old 07-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Sun, sand and sea!
Gold Member

I will be the first to admit I was a cryer last night. Capt. Phil Harris took the adage "Live like there's no tomorrow" to heart. Jake and Josh now have a lot of video of their time with their dad on the boat thanks to Discovery.

You have to admit that Phil Harris was a he!! of a man to have touched so many lives.

RIP Capt. Phil
Old 07-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Registered

He was by far my favorite of the show. He seemed like one of those guys that would sit and talk to you for hours if you bumped into him on the street. I know other boats do it too but you have to respect a man who is willing to risk his sons lives not just guys he hired off the street, if I was a deckhand I'd have even more confidence that he'llget me home alive knowing his only children are working alongside me. He is going to be missed, but he left a mark on this world that means so much to so many people that he will never be forgotten.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

RIP Captain Phill. Last night was a sad episode. It was very cool to see his life from a kid until he passed away. You could tell from the other captains and crew members he was respected. In my mind you can't make that chit up. The expression on Cig's face "Captain of the Northwesten" was gut turning after he found out Phill passed away.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
RIP Captain Phill. Last night was a sad episode. It was very cool to see his life from a kid until he passed away. You could tell from the other captains and crew members he was respected. In my mind you can't make that chit up. The expression on Cig's face "Captain of the Northwesten" was gut turning after he found out Phill passed away.
Great shows last night and agree with what was all said.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:55 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

RIP Captain phil you'll be missed.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen
Watched the shows tonight and that sea was incredible while he was sick.

after he passed away the sea was dead calm.

Just incredible how things happen sometimes.

The tribute show was very cool as well and really showed how great a guy he was and how well respected
I watched the show periodically. I was sad to see that captain Phil pased away

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.