Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Cig sponsored race car driver arrested in Ponzi scheme..... >

Cig sponsored race car driver arrested in Ponzi scheme.....

Notices

Cig sponsored race car driver arrested in Ponzi scheme.....

Old 07-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts
Default Cig sponsored race car driver arrested in Ponzi scheme.....

ORLANDO, Fla. — A former race car driver suspected of running a more than $5 million Ponzi scheme has been arrested on additional charges in central Florida.

A Florida Department of Law Enforcement spokeswoman says Henri Zogaib was at the Orange County Jail on Friday on 26 new charges of grand theft. His bond was set at $2.2 million.

Zogaib was a driver in NASCAR's Grand-Am series. Florida law enforcement agents say he encouraged more than a dozen associates to invest in iron ore, promising returns of 40 percent but instead bilked the profits.

Authorities believed there were more involved and had been encouraging other alleged victims to come forward.

Attorney Cheney Mason had represented Zogaib in a previous case but did not know if Zogaib currently had a lawyer.

The article had a picture with the Cig logo prominently displayed on the door of the car.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Presence of a logo does not mean "sponsored." I'm wearing a Cigarette shirt as I type this. I bought it from Cigarette. Could have bought a decal for the truck, too.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FasterFaster
Presence of a logo does not mean "sponsored." I'm wearing a Cigarette shirt as I type this. I bought it from Cigarette. Could have bought a decal for the truck, too.
Exactly BIG Daddy
Old 07-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

he was teammates with raul boisell who had a relationship with lipship... this guy bilked drivers families and team owners so he could place race car driver... i know of a lot that got really screwed
Old 07-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...D_AM/100219940

michael shank racing was my old pro team in 97
Old 07-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dreamer
he was teammates with raul boisell who had a relationship with lipship... this guy bilked drivers families and team owners so he could place race car driver... i know of a lot that got really screwed
Maybe so. Maybe a total slime. I don't know. Sad to see anybody bilked. Just sayin': not Cigarette sponsored. (Lipship, even if somehow involved - which I doubt, is a dealer, not Cigarette.)
Old 07-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 2,831 Likes on 951 Posts

Before this gets out of hand, Lip-Ship Performance nor Raul Boesell had anything to do with this guy or his schemes. Further more, Cigarette didn't really "sponsor" him, at the time Zogaib wished to race he went to Cigarette and ordered a new 38. He raced one race in Homestead with a Cigarette sticker on his car, then disappeared. Never showed up or paid for his boat.

Raul's car that displayed the Lip-Ship logo is a different car, different team, different race (24hr Daytona) and was a legit partnership of Lip-Ship (Cigarette) and Raul unlike this Zogaib character putting a sticker on his race car because he was in the process of building a Cig. Here's a pic of Raul's car just to put the rumors to rest.

No big shocker here, reporters love drama & sensationalism. Digging up a pic of a race car owned by a scammer with a sticker of a predominant Florida based company on it makes for a better story than just another scammer getting busted.

Now you all know the facts and this can be put to rest.

Glad another douche bag scammer is behind bars where he belongs.
Attached Thumbnails Cig sponsored race car driver arrested in Ponzi scheme.....-2.bmp  

Last edited by thisistank; 07-24-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:56 PM
TeamTaboo
VIP Member

there have been a lot of them over the years in car racing