Like Tree0Likes

40K Budget 7500 LBS Tow Capacity Which Boat

Old 07-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Registered

My Boats: 05 35 Fountain EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj676 View Post
Of course!

I'm finally in one I could win too! Tough to top 150 gallons in a 28.
Ok we are done with fuel.Now lets move to Chevy,Ford or dodge.That should take about six months then we can finally help chose a boat.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Registered

My Boats: 28 Powerplay - HP500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expensive Date View Post
Ok we are done with fuel.Now lets move to Chevy,Ford or dodge.That should take about six months then we can finally help chose a boat.
Well anyone that's seen my posts on this matter knows he needs a D-max (or 496) 2500, but I'm a little more "involved" then the avg brand loyalist here......
Old 07-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2001 33 Wellcraft Scarab AVS

I appreciate all the comments. Going to keep all these boats in mind. Like I said I'm not even starting to look until after August/September as I will be too tied up at work.

Still top running is probably going to be a 29 Scarab single screw or if I can find one a 28 Nordic Heat. Fountains and Formulas are also an option, but we will see what the wintertime east coast market comes in with.

I feel that the Porsche is pleanty capable of towing the boat. Of course people will defend the fords, chevys, dodges out there; and if I could I would get a Ford F series duelly for my tow pig.

But with a 340HP V-8, 369 torque, and a tow capacity of 7700, I think this will work for a ccouple weekends of towing 20 to 30 miles.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned

It's not a matter of "defending" one brand of tow vehicle or another; it's a matter of;

1. Will I be legal both from the mfgs numbers and from an insurance standpoint to tow the boat I select?

2. What will it cost me if I have an accident and I'm NOT legal?

Last edited by Catmando; 07-27-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmando View Post
It's not a matter of "defending" one brand of tow vehicle or another; it's a matter of;

1. Will I be legal both from the mfgs numbers and from an insurance standpoint to tow the boat I select?

2. What will it cost me if I have an accident and I'm NOT legal?
You worry too much, that is why they have attorneys for those issues/situations. Wait...I am an attorney who specializes in those situations (in New Jersey traffic violations, DWI, BWI, criminal matters)....!!

Sort of a sales pitch isn't it?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Necessary Evil .............Donzi 38 ZrComp.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
Wait...I am an attorney who specializes in those situations (in New Jersey traffic violations, DWI, BWI, criminal matters)....!!
Good to know!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2003 Advantage Victory 32

I'm with the crowd here on tow ratings. Several years ago I bought my 2500HD in anticipation of buying a bigger boat. Alot of folks told me it was overkill for my 23 Crownline, but like they say, you can't have TOO much truck. Not too long ago, I saw a VW Toureg towing a 28 MC at our local lake. Talked to the owner and he said he was looking for another tow vehicle cause it just wasn't "comfortable" towing. The VW is rated to tow 9600!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2001 33 Wellcraft Scarab AVS

Looking at the figures, most of these boats (28 Heat, 28 Velocity, etc.) are around the 4500-4700 lbs mark. Add 1000 for a trailer and 1000 for gear (never ever will I tow with a full tank of gas any distance then a couple of miles) and we are looking at 6500-6700, still well under 7700 pounds.

On a side note, I used to tow my 21 Scarab which was 3500 dry, plus 1000 for trailer, plus 500-750 gear with my Pathfinder and had 0 problems even when towing it over 300 miles. Also brought that boat acrossed country from CA to MD on the back of a trailblazer with no issues.

However, didn't mean for this to be a tow discussion, the car will stay no matter what, and for the amount I will actuall tow the boat (litterally a couple times a year) I am confident the Cayanee will do the job. No chance of me buying a tow pig as then I'm paying for ANOTHER parking spot, insurance, etc, for something that will just sit there.

So back on track, may increase the budget a bit to get into a little newer boat. Again thanks for all the advice. Gotta wait until after September now when work calms down
Old 07-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: 29' Fountain Fever

Its not if it will tow the larger boat ok. Its about stopping it.

If you insist on that much boat in front of the Porsche, let me know when you're in my neck of the woods so I can stay out of the way.
Or when that 17 year old girl in her Honda surprises you with a lane change.

If you cant afford a tow vehicle thats safe to tow and STOP the boat, you can't afford the boat.

I run a GMC 2500HD Duramax single axle in front of my 29, and IMHO thats barely enough. I'm dually shopping.

If you think less, you haven't towed a boat that size often enough to have someone scare you.

Its not about how safe or careful you are driving. Its the other idiots on the road who have no idea what it takes to stop or manouver that mass who will get you in big trouble.

Not if, but when.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: 02 Formula 353 - Notorious

I've towed the same 6000#+ car/trailer and boat/trailer combos thousands of miles with both my 3/4 ton Suburban and a Cayenne S. Whether you believe it or not, the Cayenne is a perfectly capable tow vehicle, even with the shorter wheelbase, especially when it has the air suspension. As for stopping, I'll take the Cayenne *any* day of the week in *any* situation over the Suburban. The only thing I miss about the Suburban is the extra space for hauling people and stuff.

Back to the topic...