Notices

Just Once....

Old 07-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cigboat1
1.When the transmission went south the first time did the same company rebuild the transmissions again?
2.Was there a warr.with the rebuild???
3. Did you buy a new trans.? or just have it rebuilt again?
Thanks

Jim
1) Yes they did the rebuilt...
2) Not anything that they would stand behind
3) Yes I bought a third new trans. as a spare and it needs to be rebuilt...

Jim
Old 07-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Jim --- Call these people on monday :Kalamazoo Marine Gear 2706 Portage st. Kalamazoo Mich.49001
Phone :1-269-345-0629 Ask for Mark Gernsback-- not sure he is still there , he might have retired but they will help you with your problem. I think you never should have taken the tranny back to those guys , but I dont have to tell you that now.Good luck

Jim
Old 07-26-2010, 05:54 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 155 Likes on 85 Posts

Assuming the linkage is adjusted properly the only reasons for failure in reverse are either too much throttle, shift at too high RPM, or using reverse to go forward.

If they are ours they have an additional plate in reverse and special friciton material. There is not much more that can be done on that style transmission.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Mbam
Assuming the linkage is adjusted properly the only reasons for failure in reverse are either too much throttle, shift at too high RPM, or using reverse to go forward.

If they are ours they have an additional plate in reverse and special friciton material. There is not much more that can be done on that style transmission.
I'll have to check the linkage again but it appears to be working and going completely in reverse when the shifter is moved.

Yes they are your 1350's and they were not shifted at too high of RPM at anytime. They were only shifted and operated at idle and used for docking only.

I make it a point to do things at idle and not use the throttle because you have said in the past that this is a cause for their failure in reverse and slow is good when moving around boats and docks.

I haven't even come close to the 2,500 RPM limit you have on your warranty sheet, Eddie Young has the idle set at around 1,000 RPM.

I do not use them to back off of the lift the boat is walked back until we clear the slip and then the motors are started so that's not a cause.

I know you have stated that you've added an additional plate but they just don't seem to be able to hold up for more than a couple of weekends at best.

I'm just guessing but was the additional plate necessitated due to an inordinate amount of failures of the reverse in the transmissions or was there some other reason for this addition?

Either way this is very frustrating and has a way of putting you off to a certain product. Especially when it causes you to miss a boating weekend and cost several thousand with each incident.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Jim, I can clearly understand your frustration. What you describe is not normal. We have, without exaggeration, multiple thousands of our transmissions in use.

A number of years ago we did have more reverse failures than I like to see. And I like to see zero.

At that time we were using 2 reverse frictions. In fact the driveline style housing was only machined for 2 max. Conventional wisdom was that an additional friction would sacrifice horsepower when in forward.

We did extensive testing and figured out that with some additional mods we could add another friction and not lose any more power in forward. Since then all our units are machined as needed and have 3 reverse frictions which is the most that can be physically accommodated.

In addition we have our frictions made with better steel for the core of the plate. Since then we just don’t have that many reverse problems.

I need to see your dead trans to try and figure out what happened. Also I would like to see a photo of the linkage/cooler lines & vent hook up. There is something else going on here.

If you want call me when you get a chance, please have the serial numbers handy so I can look up the history.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

call Hubber ask for Earl vary smart man did a complete rebuild for me and still going strong he might have some idea
Old 07-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Marc,

I'll see if I can get the information and some additional pictures, the only problem is the boats down at the lake which is 350 miles from my home but I might be able to have someone get the info..

I should have one of the linkage it's pretty straight forward but don't have many of the rear of the motors..Not sure if this one is the new one I bought last year or the one that was just rebuilt, but I'm sure you can tell by the Serial Number... I have a total of three of them but didn't get the last one that broke rebuilt yet and have it at my shop...

Once I get the information and I'll give you a shout. I'll also check with Eddie Young he built and rigged the new motors so he would be able to answer a couple of your questions on the coolers and such...

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Just Once....-transmission-rear-1.jpg  
Old 07-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Jim, not that i think this is the cause of your problem but I don't like to see the cable anchor on the drive shaft tunnel. After watching a video of an engine compartmant I realized how much that stuff moves around at speed. This would not be an issue at idle, unless the cover was really loose or something.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

I have only seen a couple bams with reverse burnt up and both times were when a guy was trying to get his boat off a trailer in too shallow of a ramp and was at 4-5k rpm and it was probably blowing out the prop and then biteing which is probably what burnt it up.. My transmission has 5 reverse clutches that are 7 1/2 inch in diameter with a big piston that pushes on them so they should handle in 1000-1200 hp range in reverse. Mine are alittle bit overkill for your application probably. I would say send your trans back to bam so he can take a look at it and not just replace parts like some places may do. he will probably dig till he finds a reason for the failure. maybe a reverse piston o-ring with a nick in it that lets the pressure off and has just enough pressure to make the prop spin backwords but be slipping the whole time and just wears out..
Old 07-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

The trannys got new oil coolers when I installed the engines. In fact, they are much larger than the previous ones. I installed dual cooler Eickert bell housings since they come with my engine package. The trannys previously had 2" tubular bundle coolers. They now have 8 plate coolers with all new #8 plumbing, so there is no problem there.
The cable clamp is on the driveshaft guard, since that is where Nortech puts them. I have done numerous Nortechs in the past and they are all located on the driveshaft guard. Not saying it couldn't cause a problem, I just haven't seen it happen. I simply put it back where it has been.
I have seen them smoked in reverse, but it was strictly from to much throttle and driver error. I have had excellent luck with the 3 plate trannys.
I checked the linkage and can say with 100% certainty that it is engaging fully in forward and reverse.
By the way, the engines are my 925 EFI's that make just over 1000 hp and 1050 ft lbs of torque.
Sorry to hear about that Jim. Do not hesitate to call me if there is anything that I can do. I will do whatever is neccessary to get you back on the water. Talk to you soon.
Eddie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.