Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
anybody know about digital SLR's >

anybody know about digital SLR's

Notices

anybody know about digital SLR's

Old 05-02-2002, 06:15 PM
ssherman

Default anybody know about digital SLR's

I am looking at a cannon d-60 with 100-400 and 28-135 IS lenses but my concern is will it handle action shots? like poker runs and racing and can i shoot from a moving boat like i can now? and how large of an image could i produce with a six megapixel camera?

Old 05-02-2002, 07:20 PM
SunseekerNY

I'd like to know the very same thing. I'll give Tom Newbie a call at Powerboat and ask what he is using now.

I spoke to a photographer from the Daytona newspaper at last year's race. When I saw the equipment he was using (Nikon D4), I went right over to him and gave him the third degree. He said that the top of the line digital SLR's function the same as any SLR camera that uses film. I never used the camera, so I can't say for sure. If you can shoot ice hockey (low light/high speed) with it, you can shoot anything. I WANT that camera.

Maybe we can get a good deal if we purchase them together - Canon/Nikon/Minolta, any good SLR. FYI: as of last year, Minolta was the only one that had the zoom/tilt flash available. Just something to think about. I'm sure we can get one aftermarket.

Jennifer

Old 05-02-2002, 07:37 PM
SunseekerNY

Dear Sherman:

I just spoke to Tom Newbie from Powerboat. He is still shooting on film. He said that the digital SLR's have not completely caught up with the speed of film cameras, but they are close. He recomended the Nikon D1 and the Canon D something.

He said that we can get the best prices at http://www.bhphotovideo.com

I hope this helps,

Jennifer

Old 05-02-2002, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicked on the web site and

looked at the HP printer I just bought from Dell and it was the same price.

Check out www.ubid
They have a fuji 6x going for about 450
It's a 2000 model but new
Old 05-03-2002, 12:21 AM
SunseekerNY

Jeff uses 4x4 format. If you talk to him, ask him to E me.

It sounded like I interrupted Tom during dinner. There was a baby crying in the background, so I kept my conversation short. His business number is 310-545-1276. He's a great guy. Handsome too!

I guess I'm stuck on film for another year. I'll check the cameras out at the TechExpo again. Maybe someone reinvented the wheel.

Jennifer

Old 05-03-2002, 10:05 AM
SunseekerNY

Default Re: anybody know about digital SLR's

Originally posted by ssherman
I am looking at a cannon d-60 with 100-400 and 28-135 IS lenses but my concern is will it handle action shots? like poker runs and racing and can i shoot from a moving boat like i can now? and how large of an image could i produce with a six megapixel camera?
Dear Sherman:

I just spoke to both Ike and Erika Levine. They own Sportsprobe.com and Underwater Images Unlimited (http://www.uuii.com).

They use the D1 series, and they both told me that the digital cameras are great for offshore. However, they stressed the point that it is not necessary to spend $5,000 - $8,000 on this type of camera if you are only going to shoot for the internet. They said that Sony and Fuji make great cameras that can capture offshore for about $1,000 - $1,500.

I'm only doing this as a hobby, but I require the flexibility that only an SLR can provide. I do a lot of night photography, existing light photography, and depth of field shots. I think I'm going to get the $1,500 camera and just shoot my artsy/fartsy stuff on film.

Ike and Erika will most likely be at the NYC poker run. I'm sure they will let you check out their equipment if you ask them nicely.

You can view their offshore photography at http://www.sportsprobe.com. They have some fantastic air shots from last year's Point Pleasant race.

Their underwater shots are amazing too. I messed around with underwater photography for about a year until I realized that I can't swim. I'm going to hire them to do the tunnel shots of the Seastar 65 and 145 as soon as they arrive in the US for the brochures. I'm really impressed with their work, and I don't hand out compliments easily.

You can call them at 410-453-0699 if you have any more questions.

My best regards,
Jennifer

Old 05-03-2002, 10:19 AM
Registered

I wanted an slr digital as well. Talked with a lot of folks. Guy who shoots for Hot Boat and a friend who does the off road ralley series both use the Olympus E-10. I bought one and love it. It's now been replaced by the E-20 which just now has 5 megpixel vs. the 4 on the E-10.

Craig
Old 05-03-2002, 01:30 PM
wilerty

You are dealing with several issues here.

First is how many Megapixels do you need to produce whatever size print enlargement you need. For the internet megapixels is not an issue. If you're only going to enlarge up to say 11X17 then a 4 megapixel camera should be about equal to a film camera.

The bigger issue is how quickly can the digital camera respond to your pressing the shutter and how quickly can it recycle for the next picture. I don't think digital is there yet. I've kept my Canon Elan for action, long zoom, and short recycle pictures and bought a Canon S40 (4MP) as my digital camera.

Good luck

Old 05-03-2002, 02:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have a Nikon D1 It is great, In continuous mode it will take 15 frames just as fast as any other film SLR I have seen. I would guess about 3 per second. They do have a D1X out that has higher resolution. Both are based on I believe the F body. I have 1 256Mb Card and in normal high resolution it can store 170 or so pictures. Dont get the Micro drive as I have heard they break often. Check out my website I have taken almost all the picts with it. But these are low resolution too. I do use it at wor for full color brochures. The biggist size is about 8 x 10 wher it still looks good.
Old 05-03-2002, 02:51 PM
SunseekerNY

Originally posted by Raypanic
I have a Nikon D1 It is great, In continuous mode it will take 15 frames just as fast as any other film SLR I have seen. I would guess about 3 per second. They do have a D1X out that has higher resolution. Both are based on I believe the F body. I have 1 256Mb Card and in normal high resolution it can store 170 or so pictures. Dont get the Micro drive as I have heard they break often. Check out my website I have taken almost all the picts with it. But these are low resolution too. I do use it at wor for full color brochures. The biggist size is about 8 x 10 wher it still looks good.
Ray:

If you plan on coming up to NY over the summer for the race or a poker run, please give me a call. I'd really like to do some shooting with that camera before I make the decision to purchase one. If it is at all possible, that is. I'd really, really appreciate it.

PS: Do you know Ron DiBartolo?

Jennifer

Quick Reply: anybody know about digital SLR's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.