Notices

More bad news

Old 05-21-2002, 08:43 AM
Tigerlily

Unhappy More bad news

It started out to be such a beautiful day yesterday....the water was calm...the lake was pretty empty...exactly what I was wanting ..we cruised up to the dam and back (we're at Lakewood) taking our time so I could mark stuff on my map that I wanted to go back to ...gotback to the bridge about 2ish and i said..."Let's check out the PitStop for lunch & grab some gas so we dont have to worry about it later" (plus I figured since it was dead I could practice getting in and out of the slips without worrying about other boats)

At the entrance to the cove she sputtered & died. It sounded like we were out of gas, even tho the gauge said quarter tank. I thought it could be wrong since we bought this boat as a repo and have spent the last 6 months fixing shi.uhh stuff as we discovered what was wrong. Got it started for a minute but ended up drifting in.

Never got it started again.Gar went & got the explorer & trailer while i stayed at the boat & we pulled it out of the water and off we go to Kelly's. Soooo here's the scoop on us:

Apparently there had been a fire on our boat...(it's a 99) They had rigged it up just enough to get it so it ran smooth long enough to rope in a couple of rookies. They did cosmetics to hide the fact of the fire & rigged up the whole ignition area with stuff from an 82-84 boat. Modules were cooked..harness....etc etc "lucky you found out before you had to replace heads etc"

Bottom line $1100 in parts....$400 in labor....and if we are Really lucky they will have it done Thursday. I felt so bad for Gar as the guy at Kelly's went through the list; but couldn't even let myself feel miserable about it until I could be alone... so this mornign as I watched the sunrise I could just go ahead & cry it all out. Unfortunately this made my cheeks sting from the sunburn I got waiting for Gar to get back with the trailer

i was really looking forward to meeting everyone this weekend; we'll still be here, but we are just too green to do anything on the lake without these next few days to get to know our boat and the lake better. It would be like having great golfers forced to play behind the group from the *retirement community* that all have to bring their oxygen on wheels with them. I wouldn't do that to anybody.

I can't wait to read all the stories-and versions of how the weekend was!

Old 05-21-2002, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! I am really sorry to hear that. Hey wait a minute...are you at LOTO? If so, that's where GORDO is from! Hey, Captn. Gordo, time to save the day my man. Maybe a little boat driving lessons are in order for Thursday or Friday? I am sure if cannot help you, there are hundreds of OSO members from LOTO that would jumo at the chance to assist. Come on OSO, time to help TWO family members in NEED! Best of luck to you two. Thanks for being so understanding for him as well. You are truly and unique and special lady. I hope you are all put back together and running well soon.

Shane
Old 05-21-2002, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear that Tigerlilly, It's always disappoointing finding things like that out in such a way. I hope you can get everything straightened out eventually.

Could the possibility of structural damage exist or was the fine mostly contained in the engine compartment?

BTW, nice avatar!
Old 05-21-2002, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn. My heart goes out to you and Gar. This may not be the kind words you want to hear, but this wont be your last time to be dead on the water and drift/towed in. I've had it happen on brand new boats on the maidian voiage (boy that is really spelled RONG!) and old boats too. It is part of the activity. Make sure you have supplies on hand for the next time. Make a list of what you wished you had then, and use it to stock your boat.

That your boat is worse off than you thought when buying it also hurts. (I have empthy for you, as Bruce is rebuilding my engines now. When I bought the boat last year, had compression tests done on all 16 cylinders, and each were within 5 psi. But there wer other problems undetectable, kind of like yours. You don't have to be a green horn.) The good news is, for both of us, that when done, our boats will be better than before. Just keep mumbleing that to yourself while riding in borrowed boats.

Also, these experiences become battle scars and good stories. For example: Years ago, in May, during the week, I took my boss out for a cruise. the engine failed in the main channle just south of Port Arrowhead's cove. The East shore is a steep cliff going virticle into the water. There is very little other than rock. A gentle breeze was drifting us slowly that way, but it would take a couple of hours. There was no traffic to flag down. (Finally a water patrol boat came in sight, and we started to wave, but after sitting there for an hour and a half drinking the beverages we had aboard, I didn't think the water patrol was the ideal boat to save us. Explaning to the judge that I was sober while driving and not while rafting didn't seem like a good idea). An hour later we drifted upto the ONLY dock for hundreds of yards along the cliff. It was a small private dock without a boat, and we were unbelievably lucky to have drifted to it instead of the cliff. While tieing upto it, the owner walks down the stairs with a telephone book and a cordless phone. What a classy action. For the most part, I've found that people on the lake are this nice and willing to help. There are a few jerks, but very few.

If you are new to the lake and boating, then not driving on Mem. Day Weekend is a pretty good idea. On a normal weekend the lake is crazy. On holiday weekends it is borderline dangerous, and if your boat is under 25-28 feet, it just hurts.

Boat gas gauges are not very accurate. You might not want to run to a 1/4 tank without making sure it is right.

Hope to see you down there. We'll have fun and console each other.

Chart
Old 05-21-2002, 10:52 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your toubles, but it happens and its just part of the fun of boating. Read Waterfouls' engine woes.
I bought a boat with a fresh engine and it went south in about 15 hours, they reused some old parts. Currently Bruce has my engine, but his shop is under water, sometimes you can't buy a break.

I agree with everything chart said. It will be plenty rough this weekend. Get some numbers of board members that will be at loto this weekend a I'm sure someone will get you out on the water.

mike
Old 05-21-2002, 11:06 AM
Tigerlily

Default Shane, Thanks for

the compliments and sympathy. it really is a tough break for us especially since we have waited months for this week. Now that I got a chance to feel sorry for myself I'll bounce back & find ways to make the rest of the week fun for him. With the biz you are in I know you'll understand what I mean when I say that Gar actually *SHUDDERED* when the boat guys were giving him a rundown on what had to be done. (he's the CFO of the firm he works for so the "math" is everything

He just finished his breakfast in bed & is reading a book he brought in case the weather turned on us....so at leat he can ease into the day.

I've been wondering if this is some Karma come to get me cause I teased nort yesterday ...or if it's because I made the mistake of saying the other night---- "what do people do that come here and DON'T boat???"" ughhhhhhhhh now we're gonna find out. Poor guy, he can't even golf cause he didn't bring his clubs and they never have em long enough for him at the courses...

Thanks though...you really made me feel better

melissa

Old 05-21-2002, 11:22 AM
Tigerlily

Talking Timing is Everything Nick

HAHA after I posted my sad tale I went looking for a more appropriate avatar....something that fit my mood a little better

As for structural damage..........nothing from the fire...and nothing really major (relatively speaking) but some naasty gouges in her and one where it looked like they DELIBERATELYran aground....so we already had it at another place for the body work & gel coat stuff...I chalked that up to a deadbeat guy who knew he was gonna get repo-ed so he just abused the hell out of it before they came it got it.

And it is a really good thing that it turned up now instead of later in the week or worse, this weekend. And not only that; but we are in a good location as far as wrench help.... not like where we live...which is down in Mayberry

And it could have been worse...i could have had to swim to shore to get help while gar *guarded the horses* BRRRRRRRRRRR

Old 05-21-2002, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the relpy!
Well, it's a good thing that a potentially explosive situation didn't get any worse!...Close to dockage and a ride. And like you said, be glad you found out when you did! Best of luck with everything!
Old 05-21-2002, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Re: Timing is Everything Nick

Originally posted by Tigerlily
Timing is everything...
You absolutely right!
Old 05-21-2002, 11:46 AM
Tigerlily

Default Chart..WOW I know that has to be hard

when everythig had tested out well. And I appreciate so much you sharing your war story with me about your boss. That cliff area is really "picturesque" and lethal looking if you were adrift. I'm glad it had a happy ending too.

Dorsey came out and checked over some stuff while gar was getting the trailer...he was so nice about it. He had a lot on his hands with all the remodelo type stuff he had going on and even went up and called Randy Kelly who got us looked at even tho "all the guys were off the clock" by the time we could get there. I found out later last night thatone of the guys in Dorsey's had run Garrick back over to Lakewood so he didn't have to walk. mile by water owuld have been ....geeeeze 8 miles by land???

Everyone went out of their way to be kind to us and I will never forget to add that when I tell the story...and with my "ceative license" i will probablt be adding capes & big S's on their chests.

As for getting on the water... our intro to LOTO was 2 years ago at Shootout..... we were with my sister and bro in law who has boated here his whole life. The sheer numbers of big boys intimidated the crap out of me...and he maneuvered like it was no big deal. We've been out here quite a few times with them over the last couple of years...but we have always been passengers on this lake. We got ours the end of last summer and have stuck to less trafficked lakes the half dozen or so times we have gotten to take it out. I would never in a million years have dreamed of bringin ours out here for Mem weekend without having this week ahead to get used to the lake. I had told gar that our 22 would have felt like a wave runner next to the power on this lake!

We have all the time in the world to get our boat out on the lake and I am determined to be philosophical about it.but I will allow myself the luxury of missing Lake Michigan (where I learned to boat) Interesting thing...I USED to think Grand Haven was a little busy

Quick Reply: More bad news

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.