Notices

Stern Lifing Prop

Old 07-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stern Lifing Prop

Question on a stern lifting prop.

I have been running a Bravo 1 24p for some time now and just moved to a 23p Hydromotive quad IV, which everyone I talk refers to as more of stern lifting prop.

My question is with a stern lifting prop will it put a higher load on the drive if is lifting the boat higher. Right now I have a bravo 1 and 575 ponies so I have been trying to baby the drive and don’t want to put the added stress on it if that is the case.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:52 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Man if I had my notes from Tres Martin's course I could tell you right away but I will have to check them and try to answer later, specially on a V-Hull.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JBoat
My question is with a stern lifting prop will it put a higher load on the drive if is lifting the boat higher.
Man that is a good question I never thought about that! I would ASSUME it doesn't as the stress is on the gears from moving the boat forward. But that is just a guess.

Try posting it the prop section and Brett or Julie will probably chime in.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say less load due the lower pitch. If the boat runs with less wetted surface there will also be less load on the gears. If the prop is lifting the stern there may be more load on lower bearings. With 575 HP i wouldn't be too concerned.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:31 AM
Registered

It will not do anything to the drive. The transom lift from that prop will only be felt to a small degree. Drive just transfers power to the water. Only if the diameter is alot bigger it will load the drive more on accel and deaccel.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Registered

Question on a stern lifting prop.

I have been running a Bravo 1 24p for some time now and just moved to a 23p Hydromotive quad IV, which everyone I talk refers to as more of stern lifting prop.

My question is with a stern lifting prop will it put a higher load on the drive if is lifting the boat higher. Right now I have a bravo 1 and 575 ponies so I have been trying to baby the drive and don’t want to put the added stress on it if that is the case.
the stren lifting props seem to work good on cats and stepped hulls. if you boat has a deep drive 6'' or more the stern might put your bow down making you trim more and getting a loose felling or walk more at top end. if it is deep a rev 4 by merc with a 25 might be faster than the b1 and it has a small dia, I know it works well on deep drives. good luck.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
the stren lifting props seem to work good on cats and stepped hulls. if you boat has a deep drive 6'' or more the stern might put your bow down making you trim more and getting a loose felling or walk more at top end. if it is deep a rev 4 by merc with a 25 might be faster than the b1 and it has a small dia, I know it works well on deep drives. good luck.
I agree my boat LOVES the Rev4!
Old 07-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have run the rev 4 on a test prop before and the difference was ever so slight. I went from the bravo1 24p to a rev4 23p and it basically ran the same.

Going to run the hydo this weekend and see what it does, seems like the drive is going to be just as safe either way.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Registered

I have run the rev 4 on a test prop before and the difference was ever so slight. I went from the bravo1 24p to a rev4 23p and it basically ran the same.

Going to run the hydo this weekend and see what it does, seems like the drive is going to be just as safe either way.
Yep I would try the Hydro. Never pass up a chance to try a prop!

On my boat the handling between the Bravo and Rev was night and day in sloppy water.