Notices

Lake Erie Boat Week ??

Old 08-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look, I am not a friend of Janie, nor do I even know her. But I've heard in the PAST she "refused" to work with those that know boating.

WELL, it looks like she got the message and partnered with OPA, and I think we can all agree that OPA knows what they are doing with boating events.

So maybe, just maybe this has potential...even if it is too little too late this year, then at least there is solid ground work for next year.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Well, I'll do my part to support it as a fan, and try to bring others. I would really like to see a big boating event held in this area.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, well ... just check this out:

http://morningjournal.com/articles/2.../mj3147162.txt

Is this Vogel any relation to Sunkin?

:cuqui:
Old 08-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BlackJack58

Not a bit surprised......
Old 08-14-2010, 02:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlackJack58

As expected.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Registered

Good lord...guess there is really a history of this.

Maybe a miracle will happen and this will be pulled off
Old 08-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

hmmm . . . didnt see this coming. What a joke

you know whats the real shame is this would be a fantastic event, Sandusky or Port Clinton would be a great site for a large weekend boating event like this.

got this in email today

Personal note from Lake Erie Boat Week Creator & Director, Janie Vogel:

“The 2010 Lake Erie Boat Week event, scheduled for the Huron (OH) Boat Basin September 7-12, 2010, has officially been cancelled,” stated Event Creator & Director Janie Vogel.

“I would like to thank the City of Huron, including City Manager Andy White, Mayor Marilyn Shearer, City Council Members, City Administration including Terry Griffith, Laura Alkire, John Majoy, Steve Osterling, Doug Steinwart, and the rest of the City staff and community who agreed to host Lake Erie Boat Week at the Huron Boat Basin this late summer.

“It is with great heartache that I am announcing this spectacular Lake Erie Boat Week event won’t take place in Huron this year, “Vogel stated. “All efforts were made to create a situation where this event could happen in that community, but it was not possible due to difficult circumstances beyond my control that made it impossible to continue.

“Thank you to all of my sponsors, supporters, vendors, suppliers, and supportive media that have kept this amazing event going this year. I was so close, and we almost got it done!” Vogel exclaimed. “I hope you will consider continuing your journey with me in getting a major boating festival off of the ground on Lake Erie in the future.

Please check out www.LakeErieBoatWeek.com for future information regarding a new location for the 2011 Lake Erie Boat Week event.

For more information on Lake Erie Boat Week, please contact Event Director, Janie Vogel, (440) 915-7627, [email protected], www.LakeErieBoatWeek.com (currently under construction to adapt to the recent cancellation of this year’s event – check back soon)
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
hmmm . . . didnt see this coming. What a joke

“Thank you to all of my sponsors, supporters, vendors, suppliers, and supportive media that have kept this amazing event going this year. I was so close, and we almost got it done!” Vogel exclaimed. “I hope you will consider continuing your journey with me in getting a major boating festival off of the ground on Lake Erie in the future.
Whats your problem Dave? We ALMOST got it done!

Old 08-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I copied this from the other website.

Boat Week organizer cancels event, demands money back from Huron
By Heather Chapin-Fowler..07:07 AM
Aug 18
Huron
The organizer of Lake Erie Boat Week has abruptly canceled the event, despite her ongoing promises that she would hurdle any obstacle to make it happen.

"We regret very much that the event has been canceled," Mayor Marilyn Shearer said, when told of the cancellation Tuesday evening. "The promoter failed to live up to her end of the contract. We were unable to work with her."

Janie Vogel, the event organizer, didn't participate in a statement issued by the city about the cancellation and didn't return a call seeking comment.

Vogel sent notices Tuesday to the city, canceling the event "due to a lack of financial viability" and demanded her money back.

On Aug. 9, Vogel gave the city about $9,000 as a down payment on the lease agreement she signed with officials late last month.

"Ms. Vogel offered no explanation as to the specific circumstances leading to this outcome and refused to comment on an exit strategy to inform the community of the event's demise. Her only statements were to advise the contract does not require her to provide explanation and to demand a return of funds," stated a news release issued Tuesday afternoon by city manager Andy White.

During the past year, negotiations between White, other city staff and Vogel were at times strained and contentious due to an inability to agree on many aspects of the event and its preparations.

"The city, and greater Erie County community, worked for over a year with Ms. Vogel to support the event's establishment. Miscommunication and misunderstanding became commonplace throughout this period, culminating with today's abrupt cancellation and demand for return of funds," White stated.

"As recently as eight days ago Vogel pledged publicly, '(I) do not feel the event is being diminished by any means and . . . could draw even larger crowds.' It should be noted Vogel was attending a meeting to address three breaches to the event's contract with the city -- most notably the absence of appropriate insurance to conduct the proposed event's activities on water," White stated.

Within a week after signing the contract with the city, Vogel terminated her contract with the American Power Racing (APR) Powerboat Super league "despite her responsibility to the city to produce an APR event as part of Lake Erie Boat Week," the release also stated.

"While the city understands each and every proposed event may not come to full and immediate fruition, it is with grave disappointment this release is issued independently without input from Vogel... In fact, the event's official website is still advertising a full scale operation for next month and references a 2011 event despite the contradicting action taken by Vogel this morning," White stated.

As of late Tuesday, Vogel's website remained unchanged.

"We're just very sorry it has been canceled," Shearer said. "Our entire administrative staff has worked very hard to make this happen. But it's just been an uphill battle."

The disappointment of local officials likely mirrors those in Port Clinton, where Vogel also failed to establish a boat week last year.

Vogel signed on several local sponsors for the event, which was slated to begin Sept. 7. Whether monetary donations and support will be reimbursed to the local businesses remains unknown.

Police Chief John Majoy said he isn't sure what to expect.

"Everything is really still in the infancy stage at this point," he said.

Most likely, the police department will refer the matter of any potentially unpaid funds to the civil court to mediate, Majoy added.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by TEAMBAJA
Whats your problem Dave? We ALMOST got it done!

well thats good because i almost thought it was gonna happen and i was almost gonna go

its truly a shame that this person has specifically engineered failure into any attempt to get this thing off the ground. I really think it would be a great event but having met Janie theres no way it will ever take place with her at the helm. Clueless is the best word i can come up with.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.