Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New guy - 84 Formula 3 project boat. >

New guy - 84 Formula 3 project boat.

Notices

New guy - 84 Formula 3 project boat.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy - 84 Formula 3 project boat.

Hi everyone!
I am 30 from NE Ohio. I have spent my life on lake Erie, my father was an AVID boater who has been with a couple local yacht clubs and was Comadore @ one also. So I know the lake and some about boats. I even worked for Fairport Marine Company who was the builder of Tartan and C&C Racing Yachts.
I spent most of the summer on my 19' V-hull Mirrocraft bow rider... It seems its RARE since all other Mirrocrafts I find are fishing boats with 50 or so HP... Mine has a 140hp IO. Its in GREAT shape for a 76 but I needed a cuddy for the kiddies! So...
I just picked up an 84 Thunderbird Formula 3 - 21'-6" with a 350 Merc Alpha 1. I paid about 2k$ for it but it needs cleaned up, the engine put back together (head gasket that guy gave up on) and some cuddy work (a racoon made a home but got chased out before the babies came - thank god).
It has trim tabs, depth sounder, radio, tv hookup, and all the cockpit totally intact. I figured it was worth it!
Anyone know what to look for on the 80s Formulas?? I have a 30 day 100% refund gaurentee. He also gaurenteed the engine would run fine or he would give me running one from another boat!
Any other help is appreciated!

Thanks guys/gals!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DieselWeasel
Hi everyone!
I am 30 from NE Ohio. I have spent my life on lake Erie, my father was an AVID boater who has been with a couple local yacht clubs and was Comadore @ one also. So I know the lake and some about boats. I even worked for Fairport Marine Company who was the builder of Tartan and C&C Racing Yachts.
I spent most of the summer on my 19' V-hull Mirrocraft bow rider... It seems its RARE since all other Mirrocrafts I find are fishing boats with 50 or so HP... Mine has a 140hp IO. Its in GREAT shape for a 76 but I needed a cuddy for the kiddies! So...
I just picked up an 84 Thunderbird Formula 3 - 21'-6" with a 350 Merc Alpha 1. I paid about 2k$ for it but it needs cleaned up, the engine put back together (head gasket that guy gave up on) and some cuddy work (a racoon made a home but got chased out before the babies came - thank god).
It has trim tabs, depth sounder, radio, tv hookup, and all the cockpit totally intact. I figured it was worth it!
Anyone know what to look for on the 80s Formulas?? I have a 30 day 100% refund gaurentee. He also gaurenteed the engine would run fine or he would give me running one from another boat!
Any other help is appreciated!

Thanks guys/gals!
Welcome to OSO, make yourself at home =) I'd love to see some pictures, but currently your (and my) membership level cannot post pictures, so you can put them on photobucket or someplace and link them to here.

Sam
Old 08-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Registered

i think you should just give me the boat....u dont need anymore projects!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Registered

This from the guy who won't let me drill 2 4" holes in his transom! BAH! LOL!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to OSO DieselWeasel. I'd get the boat surveyed even though you only paid 2 grand, to make sure there is no dry rot in the stringers or transom.