Like Tree0Likes

Mercruiser, Cummins & VW marine alliance

Reply
Old 08-13-2010, 05:48 PM
  #21
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Denmark
My Boats: Formula 292 Fastech 2002 Scorpion engines
Posts: 352
Default

From this: http://www.vw-m.de/index.php?L=1 it seems the VW marine engines are manufactured in Germany.

Do you really think it is more expensive to have such engines manufactured in the USA compared to Germany ?

I don't think so, but I am no expert in this.
Phazar454Mag is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:51 PM
  #22
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: LITCHFIELD,IL.
My Boats: SPORTCAT
Posts: 470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazar454Mag View Post
From this: http://www.vw-m.de/index.php?L=1 it seems the VW marine engines are manufactured in Germany.

Do you really think it is more expensive to have such engines manufactured in the USA compared to Germany ?

I don't think so, but I am no expert in this.
WE HAVE HIGHER TAXES
schnydo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:47 AM
  #23
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Posts: 3,888
Default

In our company we had plants and engineering in both the US and Germany.

It is cheaper here on both ends. The biggest reason we built up Germany was the Germans in upper management, they try to take care of there own.

But it still is MUCH cheaper in Countries like China, India, or Turkey, so they started moving what they could to those Countries, engineering and production went to Turkey, China and Mexico, engineering China and India.

You know another reason so much production moves to third world countries has a lot to do with Environmental and safety laws, when you don't have to comply it makes it cheaper and easier.
Wildman_grafix is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:44 PM
  #24
instigator
Platinum Member
 
BUIZILLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Miami, Fla
My Boats: 1980 Donzi Criterion 22
Posts: 1,420
Default

CMD has alienated every company it's joined in bed so far.... not a trustworthy track record.... especially from a consumer viewpoint... they hung out to dry everyone that bought their derivatives so far.. no support what_so_ever
BUIZILLA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:54 PM
  #25
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ft Lauderdale
My Boats: 2008 Donzi 38 ZR
Posts: 180
Default

We could solve a lot of this countries money and workforce problems with one simple step- tell all of the countries in the world we will charge their products the same tariffs as they charge ours! If i remember correctly, the Japanese charge our auto imports a tariff of like 45%, yet pay a 3% tariff or something like that to bring their products here. This would spur local production, who would buy a Camry if it was an extra $15,000 because it was made overseas? Let them build more factories here if they want to be competative in this market. (yes I know they have some factories here, but most of the cars are brought over) Or a t-shirt made in China if it was $28 if the American made version was $20? Maybe then we can start putting American workers back to work- we still have some of the greatest minds, lets put them back to work here instead of around the world.
GoFastScott is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:07 PM
  #26
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,067
Default

A high revving lightweight marine diesel like the v12 in the r8 would be sweet with a multispeed tranny!
I've been waiting for something like this for years!
stainless is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:54 PM
  #27
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member
Thread Starter
 
LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NorthEastern, PA
Posts: 2,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFastScott View Post
We could solve a lot of this countries money and workforce problems with one simple step- tell all of the countries in the world we will charge their products the same tariffs as they charge ours! If i remember correctly, the Japanese charge our auto imports a tariff of like 45%, yet pay a 3% tariff or something like that to bring their products here. This would spur local production, who would buy a Camry if it was an extra $15,000 because it was made overseas? Let them build more factories here if they want to be competative in this market. (yes I know they have some factories here, but most of the cars are brought over) Or a t-shirt made in China if it was $28 if the American made version was $20? Maybe then we can start putting American workers back to work- we still have some of the greatest minds, lets put them back to work here instead of around the world.

Absolutely.. This is what I was talking about in my earlier post.. This would solve much of the issue rather quickly.. J
__________________
www.LakesideRestorations.com 570-639-2628
We Make Fast Toys Faster, Cool Toys Cooler and Old Toys New!.. Performance, Custom & OEM Parts & much MORE![/CENTER]
LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:38 AM
  #28
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 119
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFastScott View Post
We could solve a lot of this countries money and workforce problems with one simple step- tell all of the countries in the world we will charge their products the same tariffs as they charge ours! If i remember correctly, the Japanese charge our auto imports a tariff of like 45%, yet pay a 3% tariff or something like that to bring their products here. This would spur local production, who would buy a Camry if it was an extra $15,000 because it was made overseas? Let them build more factories here if they want to be competative in this market. (yes I know they have some factories here, but most of the cars are brought over) Or a t-shirt made in China if it was $28 if the American made version was $20? Maybe then we can start putting American workers back to work- we still have some of the greatest minds, lets put them back to work here instead of around the world.
Isnt the real problem Americans are buying Camrys because they are what they want rather then the locally produced cars?
Pretty embarrasing in a country that makes cars and the best seller is a foreign one!!
You think BMW VW and Mercedes would stand around doing nothing if a Citroen was the best selling car in Germany?
powerabout is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:17 AM
  #29
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Arlington Tx
Posts: 9,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless View Post
A high revving lightweight marine diesel like the v12 in the r8 would be sweet with a multispeed tranny!
I've been waiting for something like this for years!
Gale Banks should call Pat Weismann and see if his twin turbo supercharged Dmax can be mated to Pat's transmissions and drives. I think Pat would be open to such a marriage...
Catmando is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:17 AM
  #30
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ft Lauderdale
My Boats: 2008 Donzi 38 ZR
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
Isnt the real problem Americans are buying Camrys because they are what they want rather then the locally produced cars?
Pretty embarrasing in a country that makes cars and the best seller is a foreign one!!
You think BMW VW and Mercedes would stand around doing nothing if a Citroen was the best selling car in Germany?
No, they are buying them because for a number of years they were a superior vehicle to the crap domestic manufacturers were putting out, for the same price. There are a fair number of domestics out there now that rival the quality of the imports, imagine if you could get a comparable quality domestic for $10k-$15k less than the import, which one would we buy?? I have no problem with import vehicles, and actually work for one, but believe our country is taking it up the rear by trying to compete in other countries paying massive tariffs while we let them get away without much of an import penalty. This country needs to look at the future, where if it continues going the way it is now we will have no manufacturing left due to EVERYTHING being outsourced.
GoFastScott is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.