39'  Nayy Seal HSB outboard options? >

39' Nayy Seal HSB outboard options?

Notices

39' Nayy Seal HSB outboard options?

Old 08-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DMOORE
Well said. Ya have to remember that these boats are implements of war, and built for that purpose. I'm a former SEAL and also was assigned at Special Boat Unit 12 in Coronado. We had HSB's at the time. Before the USMI boats were online, The unit had Fountains. And while they are great boats, and fast, they simply are not built to withstand the rigors of Combat. The HSB's will handle tasks that would simply crush a normal pleasure boat. Imagine slamming a pleasure boat up against a 900ft ship in the black of night, traveling at 15knots, with 10ft swells beating against it. This would crush the gunwales of a normal pleasure boat.The HSB took it in stride.They are great boats for the mission they were assigned. No, they are not the fastest boat out there, but they will handle SERIOUS weather with ease, and still get ya home. I've been in the HSB's maintaining 60 knots in some very, very nasty seas. Just a few cool features of the boat... each motor had two separate ignition systems. If one failed, simply switch to the secondary ignition and keep running.

As for the outboards, I'm not too sure on that. These are very heavy boats, and I don't think outboards are the way to go.

BTW. I still have a copy of the US Navy maintenance/service/ rebuild manual for the Innovation 557 motors for the HSB's. I could copy it if any owners were interested.

Darrell.
Darrell

Were you a part of the team that use to bring the boat(s) to Innovation for service? I had met several of the gentlemen that brought the boats in. I was there in 2000. I remember my boss asking me if I saw that boat (the HSB) and I simply replied, Yes. He said No You Don't, because, that boat doesn't exist. The SEALs had a lot of neat toys to play with.

Big Andy
Old 08-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BattleCry
Darrell

Were you a part of the team that use to bring the boat(s) to Innovation for service? I had met several of the gentlemen that brought the boats in. I was there in 2000. I remember my boss asking me if I saw that boat (the HSB) and I simply replied, Yes. He said No You Don't, because, that boat doesn't exist. The SEALs had a lot of neat toys to play with.

Big Andy
I never delivered a boat to innovation while I was at SBU12. Your right though, we had some awesome toys. It's like being a boyscout with better toys. oh ya, one other thing, when ya break the toys, ya don't have to pay for them.

Darrell.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys broke a lot of toys!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darrell
Thanks for the background. It was fascinating to read your posts. I am looking for the simplest way to get this boat powered, which will sacrifice some horsepower and top end. Going back to the whole inboard/outboard setup is not an option given the complicated logistics involved. Stainless marine makes a multi engine bracket that also gives some lift (how much?) to the back end to offset the weight of the outboards.

http://stainlessmarine.com/index.php...emart&Itemid=1

The outboard option is a much simpler, more fuel efficient one, given my limited experience of having only rebuilt my main boat, Jerry Langers 27 foot, 1966 magnum #10.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...5214-1,00.html

I just found out that there are 4 bladder tanks in the boat, with the understanding that those bladders have a limited life (10 years?). That will be a pain to rip those tanks out and replace with a couple aluminum ones. It will though make it easier in the end than having to deal with the fuel control panel that has a bunch of valves that looks like a real mess to get working again if the four bladder tank configuration was replaced.

Last edited by scanshift; 08-25-2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: wrong link
Old 08-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DMOORE
Well said. Ya have to remember that these boats are implements of war, and built for that purpose. I'm a former SEAL and also was assigned at Special Boat Unit 12 in Coronado. We had HSB's at the time. Before the USMI boats were online, The unit had Fountains. And while they are great boats, and fast, they simply are not built to withstand the rigors of Combat. The HSB's will handle tasks that would simply crush a normal pleasure boat. Imagine slamming a pleasure boat up against a 900ft ship in the black of night, traveling at 15knots, with 10ft swells beating against it. This would crush the gunwales of a normal pleasure boat.The HSB took it in stride.They are great boats for the mission they were assigned. No, they are not the fastest boat out there, but they will handle SERIOUS weather with ease, and still get ya home. I've been in the HSB's maintaining 60 knots in some very, very nasty seas. Just a few cool features of the boat... each motor had two separate ignition systems. If one failed, simply switch to the secondary ignition and keep running.

As for the outboards, I'm not too sure on that. These are very heavy boats, and I don't think outboards are the way to go.

BTW. I still have a copy of the US Navy maintenance/service/ rebuild manual for the Innovation 557 motors for the HSB's. I could copy it if any owners were interested.

Darrell.
As Darrell said those boats are built like brick s---houses. They are extremely heavy, usually have had the snot kicked out of them, before they are sent to DRMO, and as Phragle said frequently "tuned up" several times with a fork lift. I would check it out thoroughly (ie: stringers as they were kicked out out of airplanes occassionally)before you go any further. If your familiar with the govt auctions you can also pick up some motors that were original equipment however you have to buy them in lots. I have some friends that have made good money off of buying and reselling them however they knew what they were looking for. Does yours still have the exhaust? What Team were you at and when were you in Darrell?
Old 10-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Registered

Default Hsb Crew

I was the last boat guy in the HSB det at SBU 12 before the program was decomissioned in 98. the boats weighed 14,600 lb dry. they had twin innovation marine 557 chevy engines , (ours were carburated but later models had fuel injection) this looks like a 4th generation hull to me. is it under water exhaust? there was a borg warner 1 to 1 transmission and mercruser speed master 3a out drives. running rolla 21 degree pitch semi surface piercing props. it also had 3ft long k planes. The interesting thing about that hull is it has 25 degres of dead rise vice the full race 23 degres which made it handle the seas a little better but slowed them down a bit. It should have 4 100 gallon fuel cells. Proper paint is a light blue and grey tiger stripes top speed was 60 knots in smooth water and a lot of tab and kplane adjustment. engines put out about 600 hp, 600 ft lbs of torque, and would max out at about 5200 RPM, we would cruise at 4k and do about 40 Kts feel free to contact me [email protected]

THIS IS THE BEST BOAT I WAS EVER ON

Last edited by rcantrelle; 10-09-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Too cool! Lots of neat info in this thread, thanks to all for sharing.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gnarly boat! Its a wonder the SSMIII's took the beating put on them!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by machloosy
Gnarly boat! Its a wonder the SSMIII's took the beating put on them!
They did'nt they are running #6's now only the older boats have #3's
Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 208 Posts

Somewhere I have a picture of about 5 of them docked in Fishermans Warf in Key West...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.