Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How snug on trailer axle nuts? >

How snug on trailer axle nuts?

Notices

How snug on trailer axle nuts?

Old 05-05-2002, 10:46 PM
Intolerant1

Default How snug on trailer axle nuts?

After a full week of scrubing, tuning, stereo installing etc. I was just finishing greasing the last wheel when the inner seal blew off shooting a big glob of axle grease on my new driveway. I got it all pulled apart and hope to locate a new seal at my local auto parts store tomorrow. Heres the part I always have problems with. How snug do you tighten down the axle nut. It was pretty loose when I pulled it apart. The cotter pin was holding it in place and there was no noticable play. So do I go finger tight? Or half turn one way or another?

One other question, getting the cotter pin out when its down inside the hub (I have the bearings with the zerk fittings) was a real *****. Is there an easy way to get it back in or do I just have to keep bending it and feeding it through?

Old 05-06-2002, 01:01 PM
Intolerant1

Old 05-06-2002, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I do bearings almost every day . Rotten job isn't it ? As for how tight ... If you installing what was already in there (not new bearing or race) turn in down pretty snug with a wrench or I use channel locks . Make sure to wiggle wheel up and down and side to side to make sure it goes on all the way . After it is tight ,back it off and retighten it about 2 or 3 times to make sure it is seated right . Figure out where the hole is for the pin, loosen it a little until pin goes in . You want ti to end up just barely snug with the pin in . If it has to be a HAIR loose that is fine .Don't over tighten it .Bearings heat up and swell .If they are too tight they will bind .

As for getting the pin in past the hub , I have never seen one that was that much of a pain . Are you sure that the end of the hub doesn't come off to make it easier ? Some of the bearing caps with open ends are push in type . Is there a seem about 2" in from the end .the end might come off to access the bearing nut . Hope this helps .E-mail me if you need to [email protected] or call me if you need to 908-782-0688. Good luck ,JOE
Old 05-06-2002, 06:15 PM
Intolerant1

Thanks for the reply. I got it all together. The cotter pin was a pain. I had to bend it and slowly work it down onto the hole. There is no way to get to it. The chrome sleeve that fits around the zerk fittin and spring assembly is pressed into the hub. I was also suprised to find two sets of bearings inside the hub. A large tapered bearing at the back and a smaller non-tapered one just behind the nut.

Old 05-06-2002, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

BOY I HOPE YOUR KIDDING ! THose bearings you discovered are called wheel bearings . Thats where all that grease is going ! THat chrome cap on the axle end comes off with a little help from a hammer and a pry bar . Good luck !
Old 05-07-2002, 01:41 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

You did this without taking off the bearing buddies???? Bearing Buddies would be the chrome sleeves with the zert in the middle that you're talking about. All you needed to do is tap them on the side outer edge with a hammer to get them off.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:07 AM
Intolerant1

Well my bearing buddies wouldnt budge. I tapped a bit to see if they would but chose to contort the pin and get it through instead. All is well.