Big news..but HORBA needs your help >

Big news..but HORBA needs your help

Notices

Big news..but HORBA needs your help

Old 08-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would probably be easier to hire a transporter and see who could donate $ to help out with the cost. Just my opinion
Old 08-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by frankenstein
It would probably be easier to hire a transporter and see who could donate $ to help out with the cost. Just my opinion
We are open to any and all suggestions. We just want to get it back east.

Maybe we could come up with some HORBA items we could put up for auction....and try to raise funds that way and outright donations.

It would be great if we could get it back for the OFF racers reunion in October at Cadilac's place in florida.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

I second the idea for whats it gonna cost and taking donations, I'm in for 50 towards it
Old 08-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
We have just been notified that the owner of Thunderballs, the 32 Cary originally owned by Peter Rothschild has been donated to HORBA.

As far as we have been able to tell this is the last remaining 32 Cary race boat built in 1968 from those original 6. I asked the owner what the boat looked like now. He said the only difference is someone added a windscreen in front of the instrument cluster on the deck, but it could be easlily removed and the boat would look just like it did when it raced in 1969....
Congratulations HORBA and Mr. McCarthy.

When you change Thunderball to look like The Cigarette the boat will not be the original anymore and the "restoration" will be a destruction of an original state. The changes will not be according to ethics of the National Heritage Conservation agencies. Those professionals would only clean the boat, remove the windscreen and use a minimum of clear paint without colour pigments there where it is needed in order to protect the material and the original paint during the next decades.

http://www.heritagepreservation.org/...ms/TASKFER.HTM

Great news, the former owners obviously new the ethics of conservation and did not try to change too much.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ducktail
Congratulations HORBA and Mr. McCarthy.

When you change Thunderball to look like The Cigarette the boat will not be the original anymore and the "restoration" will be a destruction of an original state. The changes will not be according to ethics of the National Heritage Conservation agencies. Those professionals would only clean the boat, remove the windscreen and use a minimum of clear paint without colour pigments there where it is needed in order to protect the material and the original paint during the next decades.

http://www.heritagepreservation.org/...ms/TASKFER.HTM

Great news, the former owners obviously new the ethics of conservation and did not try to change too much.
Good point and one to consider. There are no pictures yet so we are not entirely sure what she looks like - I am skeptical that she is really in that great of shape - but who knows??

Lets see what she looks like....in my opinion, either color scheme will be a significant contribution to our offshore history. Its not like we want to cut off the deck and make it into a center console...
Old 08-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Registered

OKAY.....it looks like we have a workable situation.

Bobby Sheer has agreed to move the boat and trailer on top of one of his rigs so even our trailer won't get any more wear....Fantastic.

Now we need the good people of offshore to help out here with donations for the fuel and tolls that Bobby will have going from..... San Diego to Napa Valley and then back to Florida.

All donations may be sent to:

HORBA
PO BOX 8625
Warwick, RI 02888

Everyone who helps will be part of the record of the restoration of this boat.

Any donations of $500 or more will get a special signed copy of SEARACE.

I still have a few of those around that John signed before he died. Any extra money left over will go towards the restoration of the boat in Florida.

Thank you for your help with this project....it is all of our sports history that we are trying to preserve for the next generation.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:05 AM
Registered

The first part of the project is done......THANK YOU CATASTROPHE !!!!!!!

Our Canadian friend has agreed to pick up the entire cost of the move of the boat from California to Florida with Bobby Sheer.

He has encouraged us to move ahead with the drive for donated funds and help with the restoration......I will start a new thread for that. HORBA RESTORATION PROJECT