Big news..but HORBA needs your help >

Big news..but HORBA needs your help

Notices

Big news..but HORBA needs your help

Old 08-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 209 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Big news..but HORBA needs your help

As many of you know, HORBA was started a few years ago as a non profit organization with two goals:
1. Save the old race boats before they are cut up and thrown away.
2. Try to get real open ocean racing started again and get the boats off the beach.

Well thanks to California HORBA members, we have just been notified of a most generous donation for our someday to come museum.

Everyone remembers Don Aronow's 32 foot Cary that he called The Cigarette after the famous Brooklyn rum runner of the 30's.

He built that boat in secret and actually had three of those boats built for himself. There was also a boat made for Peter Rothschild, Thunderballs and an outboard version for Willy Meyers, Cigarillo and another outboard for Bob Magoon, Andrea. Six boats in all.

We have just been notified that the owner of Thunderballs, the 32 Cary originally owned by Peter Rothschild has been donated to HORBA.

As far as we have been able to tell this is the last remaining 32 Cary race boat built in 1968 from those original 6. I asked the owner what the boat looked like now. He said the only difference is someone added a windscreen in front of the instrument cluster on the deck, but it could be easlily removed and the boat would look just like it did when it raced in 1969.

Incredible. It has rare number 2 Speedmasters and two sets of, the then cutting edge, 2 blade racing propellors. It has the open front bolster that was used at that time. It has the same tri cornered fuel fills and low air vents on the rear hatches.

Our intent is to restore the boat to look exactly like...The Cigarette. It is the last of that 1/2 dozen and is so original as to be an example of offshore racers of that period.

HERE IS WHERE YOUR HELP IS NEEDED

The boat is in California, Napa Valley. We need to move it to Florida for the restoration.

Would it be possible for any teams coming east to LOTO take an extra truck and bring it there....and then if any Florida teams could bring an extra truck and bring it back to Florida. It is sitting on a triple axle trailer that is currently registered in California.

If that is not possible could we arrange a Pony Express transfer of the boat. Somebody in California bring it to Arizona. Someone in Arizona bring it to New Mexico. Someone in New Mexico bring it to Texas..etc etc until we get it back to Florida.

Everyone who helps along the way will be named and acknowledged as part of the permanent display and in all the literature re the boat in the future.

This is the past of the sport of offshore, it is important, please help.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Big news..but HORBA needs your help-aronow.jpg   Big news..but HORBA needs your help-bahamas-5000001.jpg   Big news..but HORBA needs your help-horba95060001-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 08-19-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

awesome news cant wait to see pics! Sorry i cant be of any help with the transportation.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charlie I will donate my truck from Texas. Let me know if you need me.

(I just thought of something; the pony express will likely go I10 through Houston so someone down there will take it).

Last edited by Catmando; 08-19-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Registered

I'd offer some help, but I could only get it from Florida to Well...............Florida

Seriously, if ya get it this far I will help, maybe get someone to tag it from N. Florida to Orlando, then I can head up the turnpike and get it from there.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charlie,

I'll be going to Florida from Houston to pick up a boat and trailer here in the next month or so. When do you estimate it will be running through Houston?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 209 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by wstultz
Charlie,

I'll be going to Florida from Houston to pick up a boat and trailer here in the next month or so. When do you estimate it will be running through Houston?
We will have to wait to hear from the west coast members to see when we can get it out of California to Texas....stay tuned and thanks so much.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Charlie I will donate my truck from Texas. Let me know if you need me.
I think he'll need more than a solar powered VW microbus to pull it.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ron P
I think he'll need more than a solar powered VW microbus to pull it.
That's my commuter vehicle.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

That's great news, Charlie. Can't wait to see how this project turns out...I'm sure it will be something to be proud of!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it comes north i can haul south a bit from chicago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.