Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
40' skater built fountain testing for shootout >

40' skater built fountain testing for shootout

Notices

40' skater built fountain testing for shootout

Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

If you were running a boat like that why would you want to compete in the non professional class? That would be like an NBA player lacing up to play hoops on a highschool team. Or better yet, me entering in my boat knowing there is no one else in my class so all I have to do is run down the course at 50mph and win my class.

Last edited by baywatch; 08-23-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baywatch
If you were running a boat like that why would you want to compete in the non professional class? That would be like an NBA player lacing up to play hoops on a highschool team. Or better yet, me entering in my boat knowing there is no one else in my class so all I have to do is run down the course at 50mph and win my class.
We call that "sandbagging" where I come from.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:16 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So here's my add: Capable driver/throttleman who has never competed in any sanctioned APBA/SBI/OPA/ offshore event willing to either drive or throttle anybodies full canopied race boat for your shot at winning any of the Non/prof. classes. All I ask in return is a ride to the event..

Yes that's mostly a joke, however its a bigger joke to me to say that any of you guys who have fast race boats /ex-race boats whatever that not only run the piss out of your boat, but know your boat from front to back, inside out better than anybody would be any slower in your boat under the same conditions than if "J.T." jumped in your boat to throttle.. I say that not only as a compliment but with much respect for anyone that statement would apply to.. I'm also in no way saying that experience or talent is not necessary b/c that would be a Completely ignorant statement.. Nor am I saying that in the case of the extreme "hypothetical" of a dude who can bank roll a high-end offshore boat capable of winning whatever class he enters but has never been in anything faster than his previous buddy davis sportfisher would be able to run as quick as a well experienced professional driver/throttleman b/c that's just as ignorant of a statement.. However my point being that if "hypothetical dude" doesn't want to compete with other race boats he shouldn't buy or build a race boat be it retired or brand new..

It would be equivalent to me going out & buying either a new or a 3 or 4 year old retired big tire "outlaw streetcar" from a touring outlaw street car team with fresh power, getting me some good seat time in the car then heading to my local drag strip for friday night 10.5" tire street races and expecting them to let me run in the same class with a bunch of guys who have 10.5" street cars just b/c I have never competed in an NHRA or IHRA event.. Could I run as fast as the car is capable of with absolulty no experience or seat time no way !! However with a little seat time under me and of course if they allowed me to run in the same class would the street cars get a toasting ? Well absolutely !! Would I feel like I'm the king of the streets ? Well not really..

Final point being that's its kinda silly to me to class boats together by whether or not you are a "professional" driver or throttleman.. Am I saying that they should throw a 100 page rule book at it with limits & classes for CID, compression, Carb or throttle body size, Blower size, ect.. ect..? NO WAY !! B/c the lack of that for the most part is a HUGE reason the shootout is as successful and great as it is but what I am saying is that Full Canopied boats v/s other Full Canopied boats along with Open Cockpit boats v/s other Open Cockpit boats whether they are a V or a Cat would not be a bad addition to the rules.. If people were looking for classes that actually showed "Top Dog" of the year..
And lastly if some dude shows up with a high end V or Cat with his "pro" at the sticks or behind the wheel of his ride then by all means let him run with the rest of the boats in his class.. B/c lets face it if its Top Dog mph in a V or Cat whether its open or closed cockpit NON of these boats are attainable or should be driven or throttled by the average Joe.. We all know that.. That being said should a 110-120-130-140-150 +++-mph race boat of any configuration be it a Cat or V hold their head low b/c they got outrun by another race boat ? No Way !!! However if those same race boats outrun an open cockpit pleasure boat should they feel like "Top Dog" ????

Last edited by littledcsrodshop; 08-24-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:31 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread totally got hijacked away from Andy's original post and the cool boat that he has been busting his tail getting ready for the shootout.

So, with that said the boat looks and sounds great Andy and I can't wait to see ya run her this weekend. I also look forward to seeing you out running her in the slop on the way to and from the shootout course.

One of my best memories of last summer was you blowing the doors off my old resin bucket in your old resin bucket after the shootout..

-Josh
Old 08-24-2010, 06:36 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 591 Likes on 271 Posts

NOW we are talkin. Bring on the SLOP!!
Old 08-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I was under the impression that any boat with a canopy was considered Professional. That would seem to be the correct way to do it, no?
That's how they drew the line for the Bimini Ocean Challenge...it was based on the boat and canopies were considered race; there were also some opens that were obviously race as well. Pretty easy to tell the difference. For those of you who have obviously forgotten what this means:

Sportsmanship: The "golden rule" of sports — in other words, treating the people you play with and against as you'd like to be treated yourself. You demonstrate good sportsmanship when you show respect for yourself, your teammates, and your opponents, for the coaches on both sides, and for the referees, judges, and other officials.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I showed the results to clearly show the different classes. That is all. First of all Mike's Fountain (world record setting hull) does not have nearly the power that Reggie had to set the 171 mph speed record. Second Mike is going to have his wife throttle. You guys scared of a low hp canopy boat with a woman throttling? LOL. It just a fun event for all.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I showed the results to clearly show the different classes. That is all. First of all Mike's Fountain (world record setting hull) does not have nearly the power that Reggie had to set the 171 mph speed record. Second Mike is going to have his wife throttle. You guys scared of a low hp canopy boat with a woman throttling? LOL. It just a fun event for all.
Seems to me that Mike's the one who is scared to run against the other canopied V's. And what does the wife have to do with it...try telling that to Jeni Dunbar or Shelly Sutton and see where it gets you. It is a fun event so why not run in the appropriate class?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
NOW we are talkin. Bring on the SLOP!!
Yes sir time to play!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by omerta one
It is a fun event so why not run in the appropriate class?
He is in the appropriate class, you want to change the rules to your interperation. Chill out. You do not a horse in this race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.