Guest Etiquette

Old 08-24-2010, 11:37 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by moses0324
"... I invite guests onboard my go-fast boat."
Well there's your problem right there!!!!!
Old 08-24-2010, 11:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

I never ask nor accept gas money. I'm going out no matter what. My friends and I usually fight over the lunch bill,but thats about it. The funny thing is nobody ever hangs around on sunday night,when I'm still cleaning the boat at 9pm. I did a Poker Run a few weeks ago,a buddy with a 382 Formula couldn't make it, but let his 21 year old son take the boat.( He is very responsible).I have to commend him,dad said you pay for gas and you can do the run.He got about 9-10 of his buddys to pony up $100 each and had a great time. Quite the entrepenuer.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
My point was it costs 5 to 6 hundred bucks to fill my boat with gas. I will burn that easy on the average poker run so is the 20 spot really going to make a difference. Someone who doesn't "get it" might think 20 bucks is alot of gas. To those who do "get it" would for the most part, not bother offering you 20 bucks for gas as they would realize that might be enough fuel to warm up the motor and get off the trailer. They might offer to pay the entire gas bill for the poker run though. Thats all.

Good point.
Since it costs me + 3500.00 to fill my boat I wouldnt have any company if I started asking for splits on fuel.

To me, inviting someone on your boat equates to inviting them into your home, and all the same etiquette applies.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Everyone I boat with has boats, so it's a no brainer.... `
Old 08-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

I like all the feedback...this has turned into a good thread. thanks.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my invited guests pay for nothing on my boat gas , lunch ,cocktails I expect nothing. If you need guest to pay for your fuel you prolly dont need to own a boat .
Old 08-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

my invited guests pay for nothing on my boat gas , lunch ,cocktails I expect nothing. If you need guest to pay for your fuel you prolly dont need to own a boat .
i disagree...finding fellow offshore boaters is hard enough. to put restrictions and guidelines as to how a boat owner affords there boat makes it even harder. just my opinion.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in my early twenties and we are all still in college. I am boatless but a couple of my friends have boats. They aren't big and I know what it cost to run them on a given weekend. I don't make a lot since I work part-time but I always make sure I give them half of what the fuel cost (we only burn about $100 a weekend) but to a college student thats a lot. I always pack my own cooler with food and beverages. I'm there during the week cleaning the boat with them when it's all over. I just always thought this was proper way of doing it.

I love the water and can't afford a boat right now, so I figure this is the next best thing to making sure I get invited out time and time again. I knew how much they appreciated the help and they knew how much I appreciated them welcoming me onboard every weekend. I guess when you get older and have that income to where you don't have to worry about people helping you out anymore, makes it kind of nice to treat your friends to a fun day on the water.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
+1
Old 08-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I can honestly say I have seen BOTH worlds on the fill up issue. I just went from a single 496 22 ft bowrider to a twin 496 32 ft boat. For years I could run the whole weekend and burn maybe $100 worth of gas. Now however, it costs me on average $250-$350 a weekend for gas. I'm still in the consensus that I will not ask nor accept gas from guests. The food and beverages are up to the individual, but gas in on ME. Most of my guests are boat owners as well, but they are in the $100 weekend category. Boating is just more fun with FRIENDS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.