Notices

Guest Etiquette

Old 08-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ckin62
At a car show many years back I saw a tiny sticker in the corner of a passenger window. It said: Cash, gas or ass nobody rides for free.

I've seen that same sticker on a boat before. We watched him untie, & pull away from the marina by himself roughly 30 minutes later. Coincidence?

I'm 100% with the others that do not ask for a dime from their friends to go boating with them. I'd feel like the tackiest POS on the water, if I felt comfortable telling people they have to pay me to ride on my boat.

It's always nice when others decide to bring drinks, etc. Or when people offer to pick up the lunch/dinner tab, or something similar. I definitely do not expect that out of someone though.

I invite people to ride with me, so that I can show them a good time. I don't invite them to ride with me, so that they can show ME a good time by paying MY way on MY boat.

I can understand someone that's younger getting to use their family boat, having their high school or college buddies throw in a few bucks to do an event, or run around all weekend. I can't jive with someone that bought a boat though, & cant afford to take their friends along, without asking them to pony up some cash. You'd be burning the gas anyway, so why can't your friends ride along without having to pay your way, on YOUR boat? Is it more fun to ride around & burn the gas by yourself?
Old 08-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee
I've seen that same sticker on a boat before. We watched him untie, & pull away from the marina by himself roughly 30 minutes later.
ROF
Old 08-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to side with the ones who say they dont expect anything from guests but it is nice when they offer, I dont always accept, some friends have gone as far as going in to use the rest room while I am fueling and giving the attendant their gas card. And I have a very reliable rope monkey that goes on poker runs with me that always splits the gas, again its not expected but it is nice to have someone who takes care of your things like its theirs and appreciates the fact you let them enjoy it.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Well, since my boat hasn't seen the water since I started school, Im basically amongst the boat ride moocher crowd. Also being back in school and not working much I am pretty poor. Even at being poor, I try to be generous to the extent I can, offering what I can. whether its a place to crash in the motr home, some beverages (at races I usually have a cooler of beer nd offer freely, I drink capt. so I buy the beer for the purpose of handing out). As for the boat rides, it really depends on who I am boating with. Within my circle of local friends, they know my situation, they know I will help tying up etc. and that if they ever need anything whether its boating related or not, all they have to do is call. With extended friends etc. I do try and offer what I can. I have done a few poker runs with the patriyachts and given gas money, Last weekend I went up to Charlevoix to hang with Wrinkleface on his Nortech, and picked up dinner and drinks. Next summer I will be done with school and either have the nova back in the water or a new boat and I would't expect nor ask anything from my friends for going out on the boat with me. They are my friends, I enjoy spending time with them, thats why they are my friends. I only expect them to have a good time doing something we enjoy. I will invite them because I want to spend time with them and as their host the boat will have gas and the cooler will have beer. Worrying about who chipped in their fair share or who brought what to drink only detracts from the whole purpose of going boating with your friends.

It's been said that 'Thanks Man! doesn't put gas in the tank, but it's that ear to ear grin when a friend says thanks that boating with friends is all about.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll never ask for gas money but I also won't turn down free dough!! That said just bring what you want to drink and don't break anything.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

I trailer my boat and I pay for all the gas. I enjoy having my friends go out boating with me cause its more fun. I don't expect anything from them except for helping load/unload the boat, put fenders out when docking, help "catch" the boat when docking, and help anchor when we hit the cove. If they offer to buy drinks or food, its cool but I never expect anything more than a little help.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BLee
I've seen that same sticker on a boat before. We watched him untie, & pull away from the marina by himself roughly 30 minutes later. Coincidence?

I'm 100% with the others that do not ask for a dime from their friends to go boating with them. I'd feel like the tackiest POS on the water, if I felt comfortable telling people they have to pay me to ride on my boat.

It's always nice when others decide to bring drinks, etc. Or when people offer to pick up the lunch/dinner tab, or something similar. I definitely do not expect that out of someone though.

I invite people to ride with me, so that I can show them a good time. I don't invite them to ride with me, so that they can show ME a good time by paying MY way on MY boat.

I can understand someone that's younger getting to use their family boat, having their high school or college buddies throw in a few bucks to do an event, or run around all weekend. I can't jive with someone that bought a boat though, & cant afford to take their friends along, without asking them to pony up some cash. You'd be burning the gas anyway, so why can't your friends ride along without having to pay your way, on YOUR boat? Is it more fun to ride around & burn the gas by yourself?
Well said
Old 08-24-2010, 07:25 PM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

The way I look at it my wife and I will be on the water regardless if we have guests with us or not so gas is never an issue. We enjoy the company of friends and that is what makes our weekends so memorable. We normally all work out who is going to bring what as far as food and drinks.

I had several friends out with me this past weekend that had not been out before and while they all offered money for gas, I turned it down. At the end of the day, the fun we all have together is worth far more than the money I would put in the tank.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Well, since my boat hasn't seen the water since I started school, Im basically amongst the boat ride moocher crowd. Also being back in school and not working much I am pretty poor. Even at being poor, I try to be generous to the extent I can, offering what I can. whether its a place to crash in the motr home, some beverages (at races I usually have a cooler of beer nd offer freely, I drink capt. so I buy the beer for the purpose of handing out). As for the boat rides, it really depends on who I am boating with. Within my circle of local friends, they know my situation, they know I will help tying up etc. and that if they ever need anything whether its boating related or not, all they have to do is call. With extended friends etc. I do try and offer what I can. I have done a few poker runs with the patriyachts and given gas money, Last weekend I went up to Charlevoix to hang with Wrinkleface on his Nortech, and picked up dinner and drinks. Next summer I will be done with school and either have the nova back in the water or a new boat and I would't expect nor ask anything from my friends for going out on the boat with me. They are my friends, I enjoy spending time with them, thats why they are my friends. I only expect them to have a good time doing something we enjoy. I will invite them because I want to spend time with them and as their host the boat will have gas and the cooler will have beer. Worrying about who chipped in their fair share or who brought what to drink only detracts from the whole purpose of going boating with your friends.

It's been said that 'Thanks Man! doesn't put gas in the tank, but it's that ear to ear grin when a friend says thanks that boating with friends is all about.
and thats why your always welcome on my boat Rob. . . . . and I secretly want a ride in the Nova when she hits the water.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Registered

Interesting thread. Most of our friends own boats and I never ever ask for gas money. I have had some literally outrace me to the gas pump or attendant and I ***** but what can you do. I dont boat to break even, I boat because I enjoy it and enjoying with friends makes the experience better. I wakeboard with a relatively fuel efficient boat weekly after work and people bring drinks, ice and snacks, I buy fuel. Most newbees offer to pay for some fuel and I never accept. Only exception is if we do a trip with people then everything is split, hotel, fuel dockage etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.