Notices

Starting my Boat Search

Old 08-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting my Boat Search

Hey guys, I was recommended to this forum by a few friends because I am starting to look at buying a boat, specifically a Baja (25 to 30ft Outlaw). Out of all the different "go fast" boats I've seen, I like them the best. I see a lot in classifieds, but some are far. I'm willing to go anywhere on the east coast to pick one up when I find what I'm looking for, but I'm curious if anyone has some insight on finding local surveyors and how loans make work in this case. It would be a waste to travel so far and then get denied a loan for some odd reason. It may be better to ask a lending company on their policy, but I figured people on here have dealt with travel time and surveyors. I've also been looking at dealers, but they may be a bit more expensive and I am looking at all options.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

First, welcome to OSO.

There is a lot that goes into finding the right boat. If you plan on borrowing money, I would recommend getting pre-approved. Dealers and sellers are more willing to talk if they know you are approved for funding.

Where are you located? I was in your position about a month ago. I was looking at 29' Baja Outlaws and ended up with a Formula Fastech 292. Some of my opinions...Keep an open mind when looking at boats. Dont have your heart set on a particular brand or model especially if this is your first. Some things you should know about though inlcude: twin or single engine, trailer or no trailer, size, etc. You should sea trail and look at as many boats as possible. One brand or model might surpise you.

With regard to a surveyor. They are your best protection. Make sure you hire a certified, respected surveyor. Again they are your protection for purchasing a boat. Note: No bank will lend you money without a survey so it is required.

Good luck on your search. Let me know if you have any other questions. Again welcome to OSO
Old 08-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Registered

I do keep my options open. My main requirements are:

Trailer
25 to 30 foot
cabin with head
single or double engine doesn't matter
Expect to spend $60-$65k
Years 2003 to 2007
Old 08-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sleev-les
I do keep my options open. My main requirements are:

Trailer
25 to 30 foot
cabin with head
Expect to spend $60-$65k
Years 2003 to 2007
What kind of water/climate are you going to be running in? If you think you'd be comfortable in a 25' boat I would aim low if its your first boat (a 25-29' with a single screw), especially in cold winter climates. I'd rather screw up a winterizing job with one motor than two! Some people will tell you to go big because you'll outgrow it quick, but IMO its better to learn on something cheaper and smaller.

If you've driven and maintained a bunch of boats before this one, then I would agree with the "go big" crowd. I absolutely love the 33' Outlaw, I just don't like that I would have to switch marinas to get one...
Old 08-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Registered

I live in Maryland, so salt water during season, and stored on a trailer when not in use and during the winter. So it can be fairly cold in the winter. If winterizing isn't too much different than a jet ski, then I should be good and if not, my uncle is a boat nut and he is always willing to help. Everything I've ever owned, I upkeep myself and if I can't, I go out to learn how to. I am also keeping a close look on length as the marina I plan to store at has a pretty tight load ramp, but don't forsee that as a problem. Biggest boat that I ever got to run was a 40' cruiser.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Registered

the good news is your expectations are right for your price range...bad news is you really need to weigh the pros and cons of a single vs twin engine...this will obviously change the cost of the boat both to purchase and own...this is a major factor when buying a boat
Old 08-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by moses0324
the good news is your expectations are right for your price range...bad news is you really need to weigh the pros and cons of a single vs twin engine...this will obviously change the cost of the boat both to purchase and own...this is a major factor when buying a boat
I know the big con is more maintenance, more fuel. I think around my size, the closer to 30 I've seen will have the twin. I'm in no rush to buy (looking to finalize by next spring) and that has been a thought on my mind. Trying to figure out single vs. twin. If everything goes as I plan, I will pretty much be debt free (only my truck payment left) at the time I purchase so the extra on fuel, maintenance and other concerns may not be too bad. What else is good to gain off of a twin, other than the performance increase or am I thinking too much into it and that is the big gain?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Registered

well some pro's of a twin engine boat include...

ride (weight distribution)
performance (faster, acceleration)
reduced engine stress (twin engines dont work as hard as a single, esp a 27')
better docking manuvability (two outdrives)
less likely of being stranded (limp home on one motor)

fuel is an issue but twin engines dont consume 2x the amount of a single...twin motors dont work as hard.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sleev-les
I live in Maryland, so salt water during season, and stored on a trailer when not in use and during the winter. So it can be fairly cold in the winter. If winterizing isn't too much different than a jet ski, then I should be good and if not, my uncle is a boat nut and he is always willing to help. Everything I've ever owned, I upkeep myself and if I can't, I go out to learn how to. I am also keeping a close look on length as the marina I plan to store at has a pretty tight load ramp, but don't forsee that as a problem. Biggest boat that I ever got to run was a 40' cruiser.
Welcome...
Where on the Bay do you live and plan on boating? The Bay can be very angry at times. there are alot of guys on this forum from the Maryland area. I would recommend checking out our local club (link below) also for events,, raft ups, gatherings, Poker Runs, and our Annual Race that is in October this year.

www.cbpba.com

Thanks Pat
Old 08-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Registered

I think I may lean toward twins.. That is definitely some things to look at. I am a speed junkie, between the cars Ive built, bikes I race.... So the faster accel is a perk I would like to look for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.