Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
ethanol eating fberglass fuel tanks >

ethanol eating fberglass fuel tanks

Notices

ethanol eating fberglass fuel tanks

Old 08-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are in NJ, talk with Jack at Hydrotech. He has done at least one Skater. I do not have his contact info.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

We've done a few retrofits at the INXS Motorsports (Paint and Bodywork arm of the Active Thunder Factory) on Skaters and other non-performance boats.

It's a messy PITA job, but not overly complicated.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanmcd53
skater, motion, ocean express and Im sure there are others
I thought boat makers got rid of glass tanks many years ago.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by VtSteve
I thought boat makers got rid of glass tanks many years ago.
i believe Yellowfins are having ethanol issues as well with their glass tanks..
Old 08-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Registered

Just went threw the same thing....

A quick fix....I don't know what size tank you have....but Rob from WYD's racing team...pulled the pick up tube....then cut off a 1/2 inch off the bottom..then drilled a couple holes just up from the bottom of the pick up....the guys from Ilmor brought us some thick screens....he sewed the screen on with wire to cover all the wholes and left the screen go 1/2 inch passed the bottom of the tube..and he also sewed the bottom of the screen..so if any of the fiberglass got stuck from the bottom...the fuel was still being picked up from the other holes...since then 2 months ago...the boat runs perfect....fuel pressure exactuly were it should be...no matter what water conditions are..we have a 110 gallon tank...and we can run the fuel down to 30+ gallons...before we need to fill up again...but we also drilled the holes higher then needed to be....
I have checked the fuel filter after evey time we run it..and it is clean as new...
cost....around $15...and around 30 minutes of labor...

We even joked about making pickup tubes for just this reason with more and more boats having this issue...

Last edited by MANITIE; 08-28-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MANITIE
Just went threw the same thing....

A quick fix....I don't know what size tank you have....but Rob from WYD's racing team...pulled the pick up tube....then cut off a 1/2 inch off the bottom..then drilled a couple holes just up from the bottom of the pick up....the guys from Ilmor brought us some thick screens....he sewed the screen on with wire to cover all the wholes and left the screen go 1/2 inch passed the bottom of the tube..and he also sewed the bottom of the screen..so if any of the fiberglass got stuck from the bottom...the fuel was still being picked up from the other holes...since then 2 months ago...the boat runs perfect....fuel pressure exactuly were it should be...no matter what water conditions are..we have a 110 gallon tank...and we can run the fuel down to 30+ gallons...before we need to fill up again...but we also drilled the holes higher then needed to be....
I have checked the fuel filter after evey time we run it..and it is clean as new...
cost....around $15...and around 30 minutes of labor...

We even joked about making pickup tubes for just this reason with more and more boats having this issue...
Great quick fix, temporary for some & maybe permanent for others, thanks for sharing.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:01 PM
CAB
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Agree 100% about the farmers.

We have a special gas at our marina called valvetec er something like that. It has ethanol in it, but they use chemicals to cancel it out. Basically a ethanol gas treated for marine use.
You two must be some of the people that thinks your food comes of the shelf at the grocery store.