Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is the used boat market dead? >

Is the used boat market dead?

Notices

Is the used boat market dead?

Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the input. Bob Madara sent me all the important parts (cams, heads, and carbs), and I had the engines built locally by my preferred machine shop that builds almost all my motors. They have been in the racing business for over 30 years.

On the pics..... I have videos that can be emailed on request that detail every inch of the boat including running the motors, etc.

I guess the 725hp does scare some.... but my theory is, it is nice to have it but you don't have to use it. Better to have and not need, than to want and not have. hahaha.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Registered

In general, it seems like used market is still very slow. Stuff that seems to move is being given away.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

niceguy, what motors were originally in the boat and what drives are you using? I thought the add mentioned Bravo 1's, but that seems like a lot of HP to be going through a standard Bravo. By the way I am asking because I have a buddy looking to upgrade. He currently has a an 03 Stingray 230SS with a 496 HO. He is a little leary about going with a boat older than his, but wants something bigger and is hoping to get something at least as fast as what he has. Are you at all interested in a partial trade or do you want cash only?

Last edited by fastestbowtie; 08-31-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Registered

I am a potential buyer, but am not starting a serious search until closer to spring, but when I look at an ad, pictures are a big thing I look at. Ads focusing strictly on a stereo upgrade or built engines without knowing who built them or if they are reputable is a turn off to me. I would rather have something stock. Seeing how much went into building a motor does make me think "How many problems is this going to cause?" As a buyer, I also don't want to have to email a seller and request pictures and waste your time or mine or give false impression. I want to see as much of the boat and description in the ad that I can. If it looks good, then I will contact with the intent on a potential purchase. Price is a big factor too. I've seen a couple boats that are almost identical but may be the difference in a few thousand dollars. If by chance they are both in the same condition, of course I would go with the less expensive. Why spend more money for an identical boat?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Registered

Seems the sub-30' singles are still selling strong which, seeing as I have a 29' coming on the market I'm glad to see!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

Price is a big factor too. I've seen a couple boats that are almost identical but may be the difference in a few thousand dollars. If by chance they are both in the same condition, of course I would go with the less expensive. Why spend more money for an identical boat?
big differences in price are due in large part to how much the owner owes on the boat...if an owner is upside down, the asking price is outrageous...

i have seen identical boats listed with a 15k in between them...they are easy to spot.

some people are willing to sit on a boat longer than others...market always dictates a sale.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sleev-les
I am a potential buyer, but am not starting a serious search until closer to spring, but when I look at an ad, pictures are a big thing I look at. Ads focusing strictly on a stereo upgrade or built engines without knowing who built them or if they are reputable is a turn off to me. I would rather have something stock. Seeing how much went into building a motor does make me think "How many problems is this going to cause?" As a buyer, I also don't want to have to email a seller and request pictures and waste your time or mine or give false impression. I want to see as much of the boat and description in the ad that I can. If it looks good, then I will contact with the intent on a potential purchase. Price is a big factor too. I've seen a couple boats that are almost identical but may be the difference in a few thousand dollars. If by chance they are both in the same condition, of course I would go with the less expensive. Why spend more money for an identical boat?
X2 and the fact that the motors only have 2 hours on them scares me...I would like to know that the boat has been used on the current setup ...rather then hoping the boat will stay running...not saying that they are not build right just that i would like to see more hours on them....
Old 09-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
Seems the sub-30' singles are still selling strong
Or, I was just lucky. I sold my boat in 2 weeks.

I agree about the pics and the motors. I think OSO allows 10 pics, you should have 10.

It could be the size of the boat too. If you are going to deal with big power, big tow rigs, etc. might as well go 35 or 38ft.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may be better off putting some stock 502s in there and selling boat for less and then selling engines seperately.
Otherwise you will need to be willing to come down till it sells
and take a bigger hit.
If you want top dollar I suggest just using it till market rebounds,
too many great deals out there right and financing almost non-existant now so buyers with actual cash in hand can pick and choose.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Put your hi-res pics and videos on an outside site, and post the link to it in your ad.
And post the name of the builder, regardless of how unknown you think he may be. Otherwise it may seem like you are hiding something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.