Surface Drives on Cats, Why Not???

Notices

Surface Drives on Cats, Why Not???

Old 09-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time to plane and min plane speed:

Just doing some research, for comparison purposes on let's say a 42 Fountain stagger with 525's.

Merc 6 drive
Arneson Bravo Conversion
Bravo 1

is time to get on plane the only negative on these surface drive boats? Of course time to plane with 2000 HP engines would be vastly different than with modest (undersized) power.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 88Fount33

Just doing some research, for comparison purposes on let's say a 42 Fountain stagger with 525's.

Merc 6 drive
Arneson Bravo Conversion
Bravo 1

is time to get on plane the only negative on these surface drive boats? Of course time to plane with 2000 HP engines would be vastly different than with modest (undersized) power.
This thread is about CATS, right?
Old 09-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 88Fount33

Merc 6 drive
Arneson Bravo Conversion
Bravo 1

There are some variables in your equation as plaining with a Bravo in comparison (Bravo with a high X dimension, a Bravo with a low X dimension, or a Bravo with a stupid high X dimension) will all be different on their own. The Surface Drives on a 42' Fountain will jump right up on plane with no problems. We have quite a few of these exact applications and there is absolutely no problems in this area.

Every boat is different, transom angle and such, but for the most part getting on plane is not an issue at all. Take a Donzi or Fountain for your example, they jump right up on plane real fast with the Arnesons.

Take a look at Ken Paddock's 32' Skater with Arnesons getting on plane. Very respectable reguardless of whose drives are on the boat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjvwpMn_MNo
Old 09-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So are these surface drives so damn expensive that no prices can be posted anywhere??? I'm not buying today so I dont want to waste anyone's time by calling, but is Arneson pricing only known buy some ultra secrete society, and even they need a batman super decoder ring to get the prices???

I'm beginning to see why nobody uses the damn things... pricing is a complete secrete! WTF...
Old 09-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't hold me to it, but I believe a Bravo conversion (the ASD 6/7) is around 20-22K. Maybe Rik will chime in and correct me on the exact price.
Eddie
Old 09-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Don't hold me to it, but I believe a Bravo conversion (the ASD 6/7) is around 20-22K. Maybe Rik will chime in and correct me on the exact price.
Eddie
Thanks Eddie. I assume that's per side, correct?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
Thanks Eddie. I assume that's per side, correct?
Yes, per side but @ 23K ea.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So for 23k how much power will the bravo conversion handle?
Thanks
Old 09-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

The drive can handle whatever you want to throw at it. The weak link is the tranny. It all depends on what tranny you use. For the ultimate in reliability, you can use a Bam 1550. I have a customer (mean streak on OSO) with a 388 Hustler Slingshot. He has a pair of my 925 efi's (970 hp, 1075 ft lbs)and ASD 6/7's. They were originally ASD 6's. I changed the tubes out to the 7's that have a much larger skeg. It really helped tame the boat down. I believe he has Bam 1100-1300 trannys. He has just about 300 hours on the engines and drives and has not had a lick of trouble. The Arneson's were the best choice for this boat. The boat has a transom that is not really tall enough for 6's, and to much power for Bravos. He also didn't want to move the engines forward and lose cockpit space with #6's.
I have another customer with a 36 Nortech cat with ASD 7's and a pair of my 925's (1020 hp, 1080ft lbs) The boat originally had Bravos and would not stay together. It had 525's with Whipples and was eating Bravos. After switching to the Arnesons, no more problems. He has had some tranny trouble (loosing reverse), but that's it. Like I said, you can go to the 1550 Bam, but I believe it has to be the wetsump version. I don't think the dry sump will fit in the Arneson extension box. I may be wrong, but I don't think it will fit. It doesn't change the amount of power it can handle though. The tranny is still good for 1550 hp. Hope this helps.
Eddie

As a side note: there is all this talk about docking. The Hustler is the best docking boat I have ever driven. It will do anything and go anywhere you tell it. The Nortech is just as good around the dock.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Young Performance
The drive can handle whatever you want to throw at it. The weak link is the tranny. It all depends on what tranny you use. For the ultimate in reliability, you can use a Bam 1550. I have a customer (mean streak on OSO) with a 388 Hustler Slingshot. He has a pair of my 925 efi's (970 hp, 1075 ft lbs)and ASD 6/7's. They were originally ASD 6's. I changed the tubes out to the 7's that have a much larger skeg. It really helped tame the boat down. I believe he has Bam 1100-1300 trannys. He has just about 300 hours on the engines and drives and has not had a lick of trouble. The Arneson's were the best choice for this boat. The boat has a transom that is not really tall enough for 6's, and to much power for Bravos. He also didn't want to move the engines forward and lose cockpit space with #6's.
I have another customer with a 36 Nortech cat with ASD 7's and a pair of my 925's (1020 hp, 1080ft lbs) The boat originally had Bravos and would not stay together. It had 525's with Whipples and was eating Bravos. After switching to the Arnesons, no more problems. He has had some tranny trouble (loosing reverse), but that's it. Like I said, you can go to the 1550 Bam, but I believe it has to be the wetsump version. I don't think the dry sump will fit in the Arneson extension box. I may be wrong, but I don't think it will fit. It doesn't change the amount of power it can handle though. The tranny is still good for 1550 hp. Hope this helps.
Eddie

As a side note: there is all this talk about docking. The Hustler is the best docking boat I have ever driven. It will do anything and go anywhere you tell it. The Nortech is just as good around the dock.
The horse's mouth has spoken.

Rik you should pay Eddie to write your ad copy. Cannot get a better recommendation than that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.