Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best boat hull for Lake Erie? >

Best boat hull for Lake Erie?

Notices

Best boat hull for Lake Erie?

Old 09-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response, as a kid I grew up on this unpredictable lake. Nothing gets your attention more the a storm rolling in when you are eight miles out . Originally I was thinking of a Baja272 or maybe a 302. Active thunder and sonic have an interesting hull design. How does the stepped hull handle the lake & what are the advantages ?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Registered

Stinger
If the 38 is running by sandusky, the owners name is Mike he is running close to 1000 hp each
Old 09-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

26' to 33' is a huge range.

It would be interesting to hear how the boats on the smaller end of that scale handle the rough stuff. I would think that any 26' to 28' boat that can reasonably handle very rough water is a great test of the hull. The larger boats can get by by sheer size and weight, the smaller boats have to do it by great design.

In following seas of more than 4' with swells, what 26/28 foot boats would people here feel comfortable and safe in?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

33 PowerPlay, there's no doubt about its ability to handle your waters. No enclosed head, just use the porta-pot if necessary. I wouldn't even begin to put a pot ahead of quality and ability to handle your waters.

If you don't know them then read up...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...lay-boats.html

I've seen several great deals on these boats over the past few years. Good luck!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by omerta one
Glass breaks.
Tommy, few years ago I was go'n down the Detroit river & a friend had a 312 Formula, maybe 1 foot chop, 50-55 mph & his entire windshield shattered all over him & his gf! they got cut up a bit, not bad!! ? is, is Why at those speeds/chop???????
Old 09-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VtSteve
26' to 33' is a huge range.

It would be interesting to hear how the boats on the smaller end of that scale handle the rough stuff. I would think that any 26' to 28' boat that can reasonably handle very rough water is a great test of the hull. The larger boats can get by by sheer size and weight, the smaller boats have to do it by great design.

In following seas of more than 4' with swells, what 26/28 foot boats would people here feel comfortable and safe in?
Have had my 28 Saber in quarter/following 6'-8'ers coming into Saginaw Bay off Lake Huron, nasty sloppy stuff. Got soaked but never felt unsafe, boat was solid as a rock, and we took some pretty good drops and shots.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had my 22' little stingray this summer in following 5 footers starboard and did pretty well I was soaked, I couldn't eat lunch, and I'm pretty sure the few cruisers that were just floating by at headway speed were laughing their arses off.

If I had to go into those waves, I'd have no kidneys left. I always appreciate a boat that can land on it's line in following seas, no bow down stuffing, not much drama. Some 25 footers can do this, but not many. The list of 28's that can is probably limited to the same or similar hull design. I can imagine weight distribution has a lot to do with it as well.

I hear Powerplay come up often in these discussions, but they aren't here anymore.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Yea so WTF does that have to do with a glasswindshield???
Old 09-06-2010, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran my bullet HARD on lake erie.....You will not break one

There are alot of Cigs on Erie and there is a reason for that
Old 09-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Registered

Get a 28' Pantera... mine might be to far away to be realistic for you but you could find one closer. Great boat for big conditions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.