Like Tree0Likes

Best boat hull for Lake Erie?

Reply
Old 09-06-2010, 09:47 AM
  #31
Registered
Trade Score: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clarkston, Michigan
My Boats: 22 Donzi Classic 525 EFI
Posts: 4,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerta one View Post
Glass breaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omerta one View Post
Yea so WTF does that have to do with a glasswindshield???
Absolutely nothing. Calm down. Your post said "glass breaks" in response to my post. How was I supposed to know that you had broken a windshield. I don't even have a windshield. I run my 22' Donzi on Lake Erie all the time and it can get hairy but so far the worst has been a couple of stuffs. We are heading for Put-in-Bay today from north Lake St. Clair in fact.
thirdchildhood is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:35 PM
  #32
Registered
 
rlj676's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Royal Oak, MI
My Boats: 28 Powerplay - HP500
Posts: 1,820
Default

I can recommend a 28 Powerplay as something that handles well in the rough, and makes a great first performance boat. I have a 28 w/ a single, which is extremely rare, most are twins.

Mine w/ a single is very well balanced. It always fly's flat, and I basically never use my trim tabs. Get's on plane easy, etc. Only thing it doesn't have for your list is enclosed head, but I imagine some others are rigged with one? Worth looking into for sure if you can find one.

Mine might be for sale in spring.
rlj676 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:02 PM
  #33
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Erie, PA US
My Boats: 35 Fountain
Posts: 996
Default

i live and boat on lake erie... i have owned a 28 active thunder, 311 formula and curretly 28 saber all great boats. i have had all in some unfavorable conditions - i have no desire to ever sell this saber, it rides incredible in the rough
Chris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:06 PM
  #34
Member #154
Platinum Member
 
Indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SW CT & Long Island Sound
My Boats: Missing my PowerPlay
Posts: 6,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
i live and boat on lake erie... i have owned a 28 active thunder, 311 formula and curretly 28 saber all great boats. i have had all in some unfavorable conditions - i have no desire to ever sell this saber, it rides incredible in the rough
Chris...you like it the best over the 28 & 311?
Indy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:07 PM
  #35
Member #154
Platinum Member
 
Indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SW CT & Long Island Sound
My Boats: Missing my PowerPlay
Posts: 6,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj676 View Post
I can recommend a 28 Powerplay as something that handles well in the rough, and makes a great first performance boat. I have a 28 w/ a single, which is extremely rare, most are twins.

Mine w/ a single is very well balanced. It always fly's flat, and I basically never use my trim tabs. Get's on plane easy, etc. Only thing it doesn't have for your list is enclosed head, but I imagine some others are rigged with one? Worth looking into for sure if you can find one.

Mine might be for sale in spring.
No kidding...the person who bought my boat was selling his impeccable 28 PP close to the range of the OP. Don't see it in the classifieds at this point.
Indy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:27 PM
  #36
Registered
Trade Score: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clarkston, Michigan
My Boats: 22 Donzi Classic 525 EFI
Posts: 4,637
Default

The lakes were acting up today. Even the big cruisers were heading in. We spent a good part of the day at Brown's Bar and running the channels around Harsens Island. No PIB run today!
thirdchildhood is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:31 PM
  #37
Registered
 
rlj676's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Royal Oak, MI
My Boats: 28 Powerplay - HP500
Posts: 1,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdchildhood View Post
The lakes were acting up today. Even the big cruisers were heading in. We spent a good part of the day at Brown's Bar and running the channels around Harsens Island. No PIB run today!
Probably just like yesterday......you need a 28 PP!

I've been out last summer when there was literally nobody else out on a Sat afternoon because the wind had it so kicked up.
rlj676 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:38 PM
  #38
Registered
Trade Score: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clarkston, Michigan
My Boats: 22 Donzi Classic 525 EFI
Posts: 4,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj676 View Post
Probably just like yesterday......you need a 28 PP!

I've been out last summer when there was literally nobody else out on a Sat afternoon because the wind had it so kicked up.
I do need a bigger boat for the big lakes but will keep the little Donzi for a few more years.
thirdchildhood is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:10 PM
  #39
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
omerta one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: LOTO
My Boats: 2009 Lip-Ship Gladiator; 1995 Cig 20
Posts: 2,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdchildhood View Post
Absolutely nothing. Calm down. Your post said "glass breaks" in response to my post. How was I supposed to know that you had broken a windshield. I don't even have a windshield. I run my 22' Donzi on Lake Erie all the time and it can get hairy but so far the worst has been a couple of stuffs. We are heading for Put-in-Bay today from north Lake St. Clair in fact.
You said to seriously consider a Formula...THEY have glass windshields.
omerta one is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:27 PM
  #40
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Ebay Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ohio
My Boats: 1998 Baja Boss 272 HP 500 EFI, 1984 BAJA 164 Sunsport 90 hp Evinrude
Posts: 1,521
Default

i was out around marblehead today in my 272 baja and was running it 45 to 52 off and on while i was out with no problems i have been at PIB and come back in 6 footers with no issues but i wouldnt want to do it all of the time
__________________
www.bajaboatowners.com
Ebay Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.