Best boat hull for Lake Erie? >

Best boat hull for Lake Erie?

Notices

Best boat hull for Lake Erie?

Old 09-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indy, yes my wife and i both like the 28 saber the best, she said if feels like we are landing in "marshamallows" when running it hard in the rough. i can only compare to what i have owned or ridden in but all three boats i have owend where good boats and they each had their list of pros and cons. the best rough water boat i have been in is "old school muscle" oso member jack's 38 cigarette flat deck - that is a kick ass boat! you should ride in a few boats and really compare them. i wish i would have done that in the past, i would have saved a lot of money over the years.

Last edited by Chris; 09-06-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Registered

Lake Erie chop is allot of fun if in the right type of boat of course, if 33 is your max and you want a decent cabin and good speed, then try a 33 A/T with side by side seating which gives you a good sized enclosed head and cabin, twin 525 efi in the 33 is a solid 90 MPH boat easy to trailer and eats up the chop with the 4" step hull and a very solid and stable ride with deep seating. Take one for a test ride and you will see the difference.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have run the trek out to PIB to Kelley's Is. to Sandusky, Marblehead, Port Clinton and around the area a number of times in our 28ZX in various conditions (calm glass to 8'). I don't care to take her out in more than 5-6's. She handles it that well at cruising speed. 8's scare the chit outta my wife and I don't care to work at having fun. While we don't have an enclosed head (wish we did), we make do with the portapot. I do enjoy having the twins (350 mags/BravoI's) as opposed to having a single like in our old Donzi. Good luck in your shopping, I enjoy helping spend someone elses money!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

on lake erie somtimes 4's feel like 8's
Old 09-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Everybody has their favorites, but I noticed that this past Saturday the only two boats that made the Mentor to Cleveland run in 8-12' (not exaggerating, look at the wave report if you want) were Cigs - a 35 Cafe and a 36 widebody. The cafe has an enclosed head and some very nice examples are available in the $50-60,000 range.

And now for the hype: Since I joined the Maries, almost everyone I meet that was/is in another branch (or civilian) tells me some story about how they wanted to be a Marine but chose differently for one reason or another - since I bought my Cig, well, you know the rest...
Old 09-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two pages and no one even mentioned Apache ( I was reading quick so might have missed it)

My thought is to go for a combination of length and weight. IMO a 30's Cig, AT, or Formula would be better than a slightly longer Fountain or Sunsation. Also get a twin engine boat. The thing about Lake Erie is the morning could be fine and by the afternoon you can be in some really scary stuff. There are some days you could take a ski boat from Toledo to the bay and on other days we would not want to go in our Black Thunder.

Where will you home port on Lake Erie be. There is a run out of the southern part this Saturday, you will see a lot of Lake Erie worthy boats at that. Donna
Old 09-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
The lakes were acting up today. Even the big cruisers were heading in. We spent a good part of the day at Brown's Bar and running the channels around Harsens Island. No PIB run today!
I considered it the best day of the season!!! Phantom flew great and went around gull and really played in the big stuff!!! Some of the biggest waves I've seen out there yet with the wind coming almost directly from the south. had an absolute blast!

Best hull? No idea but i'd have to say the Phantom did pretty damn well today! Almost like Will knows a thing or two about building a boat
Old 09-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Registered

Now its time for a Gopro to capture some of the fun!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just looked at the Lake Erie forecast

When I saw some parts were going to get 5 to 7, building to 7 to 10, I stopped thinking about boat hulls and thought more about a small inground heated pool
Old 09-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been boating on Lake Erie on Cigs, Formulas, Scarabs, Donzis, Bajas, Powerquest, and Apache..... maybe more but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head (thank God for lots of friends who like having me around) Anyway, all have handled the Lake Erie waters fine (also thank God for captains who know what the hell they are doing) and it seems that the every time I was in a boat with big water, it was in Bajas (6 to 8s)

The two best user friendly boats that I have been on is the Scarab and the Bajas. The 30 Outlaw has been the best for creature comfort..... Scarab a close second. I agree with the dont rule out a boat if it doesnt have a working head. The porta potty works just fine .... and being female .... I use it a lot .... and clean it too Air conditioning/heat is pretty important for the overnights at the islands so a boat with air/heat and a porta potty would so beat a boat with a working head and no air/heat in my book

There arent too many bad go fast boats out there so you just need to try out as many different boats as you can and go with the one that feels the best to you. Everybody is different just like every boat is different. Find the one that fits you. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.