Outerlimits Fuel Tanks Leaching? >

Outerlimits Fuel Tanks Leaching?

Notices

Outerlimits Fuel Tanks Leaching?

Old 09-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tgersx
I shouldn't say that the boat would never be the same, I'm sure there are plenty of glass guys that can handle the job. My main concern is buying an expensive top of the boat and knowing that someone is going to have to cut it up to remove tanks bothers me to say the least. Also I'm just surprised that Outerlimits or an other manufactures that used those tanks didn't do a recall of some sort and fix the problem. If it was a car manufacture you bet there would be a recall. I'm also curious what other manufactures used these tanks and what years.
I agree totally with this statement. If this were a car manufacturer, you'd have a recall in a heartbeat. I can't believe boat builders are sticking customers with the bill for this.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do believe that a certain 48 turbine cat has issues with the bladder as well . Essentailly any boat with a bladder is a time bomb if not completly accessible to repair or replace
Old 09-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont see that much weight savings using a bladder ?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I dont see that much weight savings using a bladder ?
I don't either.. but when you are going for the lighter/stronger method..supposedly with the Carbon, and auto clave I m guessing everything is being taken into consideration for weight savings. To me, stick with what works.. Im old school.. less callbacks, makes more coin for the builder.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Jassman
I don't either.. but when you are going for the lighter/stronger method..supposedly with the Carbon, and auto clave I m guessing everything is being taken into consideration for weight savings. To me, stick with what works.. Im old school.. less callbacks, makes more coin for the builder.
Ive had a ATL in my race car before,I bet there would be maybe 20-30lbs difference.They usually sag when not full.I would guess that the fuel impregnates the rubber,maybe giving off fumes?I wouldn't think the ethanol would hurt it.

How do they vent it?

Ive seen a 28 OB Skater tank leak and the hole side of the boat fiberglass was bubbling,delamalating It had a one year old new paint job on it. Skater charged him 15k to fix it.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You know Aluminum tanks we would figure about a pound a gallon, Now by the time a bladder is installed with all the fittings straps and containment, the weight savings are not what one thinks, also the boat always smells like a fuel tank.

In Race stuff back in the day we would foam in two round tanks just forward of the main bulkhead these I never saw break, To this day I use that round tank mentality, One weld up the joint incredibly strong tank. Foamed in using two pour foam densities 8 and 4 Pound.Here is a fishing boat going together.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Steve 1
You know Aluminum tanks we would figure about a pound a gallon, Now by the time a bladder is installed with all the fittings straps and containment, the weight savings are not what one thinks, also the boat always smells like a fuel tank.

In Race stuff back in the day we would foam in two round tanks just forward of the main bulkhead these I never saw break, To this day I use that round tank mentality, One weld up the joint incredibly strong tank. Foamed in using two pour foam densities 8 and 4 Pound.Here is a fishing boat going together

what year is that picture?????

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 09-10-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
what year is that picture?????
Before I came back @2000 I think.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:48 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 1

In Race stuff back in the day we would foam in two round tanks just forward of the main bulkhead these I never saw break, To this day I use that round tank mentality, One weld up the joint incredibly strong tank. Foamed in using two pour foam densities 8 and 4 Pound.Here is a fishing boat going together.
very cool
Old 09-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by saxman
very cool
Sir thank you for the nice comment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.