Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Tragic News From Seneca Lake, One of Our Own >

Tragic News From Seneca Lake, One of Our Own

Notices

Tragic News From Seneca Lake, One of Our Own

Old 09-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RIP Don. I'm in absolute shock right now. Spoke to Don a few times and every time we spoke I felt like he spoke to me as we were life long friends. He absolutely loved boating and was even in the works purchasing an eliminator! RIP my friend, you will be missed!

This is Don's boat. He was selling it after this season.....
Attached Thumbnails Tragic News From Seneca Lake, One of Our Own-don.jpg  

Last edited by Mastercraft240; 09-05-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It is always hard to hear this kind of news. Such a great guy taken way too early in life.
Our thoughts and prayers for him and his family.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

At this time they are still searching for Don. Various S&R teams are using sonar and underwater camera's to aid in the search. It is believed that he went down in 140-225ft of water. We were forced off the seen last night at 12:30 a.m.. I knew in the back of my mind our attempt was futile but I was hoping for any sign. I guess it's just something I wanted to do. At this point I'm praying his body is recovered. It would certainly allow some closure for friends and family.
Saturday the Wind was blowing really good out of the West. Don and Frank were heading North hugging the West shoreline to find some clean water. As the article states, Frank was driving. Knowing Don, he was in the passenger seat with a Laptop trying to fine tune his new motor. IMO it would be challenging for even a vetern driver to compensate a strong West wind running at a high rate of speed....waves always pushing the hull to the right. As per my conversation with a witness at the seen Frank and Don experienced a violent hook. Only time will tell if they experienced a mechanical issue or a act of nature.
I would like to add the actions of the individuals (a few members here on OSO...no they were not racing, they have homes on the West side of the Lake) who arrived at the seen within minutes were nothing short of heroic. As noted earlier the tether did not function correctly as a result the boat contiued to circle. One man rode along side the boat until he jumped across, shut the boat down, and in the end brought the boat to rest. They aided in the removal of Frank who was later taken by Helo. to the hospital.
The entire situation is grim. Don was a close friend. We spent countless hours discussing projects, boating, and riding snowmobiles all over NYS. I admired Don because he told it like it was. When he got involved in a project he went all the way. He had his captians Liscence, his pilots liscence, was a scuba diver, Loved Hot Rods, Loved to go fast, enjoyed cycling, was an avid marksman, a great business man, loved the outdoors and a outstanding Family man & friend. I especially admired the time he spent with his young son Donny. When you think your a good parent....you would question yourself after watching Don. He would include Donny in everything he did. Don also had great admiration for his parents....and for that matter his entire family. His father is certainly proud of his achievments...he's not afraid to let anybody know. Don was a true Mans man. He would give you the shirt off his back to help you out. He will be missed.

R.I.P. Don Roberts

Please use Life Jackets. The price is to high to pay.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Registered

R.i.p.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Registered

This is way to sad to put into words. R.I.P.

Last edited by RHM253; 09-05-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Registered

RIP sorry for the friends, family and people who know both of them.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 09-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Registered

Sounds like he was one hell of a good guy. My condolences.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Registered

I finally got to meet him just this past summer ...yes a real good guy ...sorry to hear of this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.