Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1990 Formula 242LS (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/238583-1990-formula-242ls.html)

MuddyToy 09-07-2010 05:30 PM

1990 Formula 242LS

Hey guys I am new to this performance boating thing and looking at picking up a 1990 Formula 242LS with a 454 Mag. 365hp, was wondering what to be looking at, what I should be looking at changing, what kinda speed I should get out of it, and what I can do to make it get into the 70s.

thanks
jon

firehawkcat 09-07-2010 07:19 PM

I would look at engine hours and shape of outdrive thats the most expensive stuff

masi242 09-07-2010 07:58 PM

Welcome, first I would get a survey yes it is worth the money, and a test drive. This boat on gps I beleive is 60 max but a great riding boat that is solid. post a thread in the Formula section someone may know the boat and lend some info.

BLee 09-07-2010 09:53 PM

I actually have a lot of experience with the 242-LS, and the 242-SS. One of my best friends still owns a clean one to this day with the same engine package you mentioned.

Outside of having a survey done, I would look for one with the drop out bolster seats they offered, as opposed to the other ones they offered that were 100% sit down seats.

I would want the docking lights, which were an option on them that look like headlights on the front. The 90's model has the contoured engine hatch, if I can remember, as well as the fitted carpet with the Formula logo, instead of snap in.

I'm sure it has a Bravo drive, so you can safely put about 500 or so horsepower to it without being concerned about the drive having issues, depending on how you drive it of course.

Having the correct prop makes a big difference on the 242's, so you can have it's prop labbed & gain a little speed there right away.

The engine hatch has enough room between the top of the flame arrestor and the hatch itself, for you to add a Whipple Charger blower. That, and a nice set of headers, would wake that boat up BIG time, without sacrificing the reliability. I would go ahead & put hydraulic steering, or at least hydraulic assist on it before supercharging it though.

They are nice boats! The last years they built them, they offered an upgrade 502 engine package. They would run 70 pretty easily, so you need to get your engine to about 420-450hp to be able to run 70+mph any time you want.

MuddyToy 09-08-2010 10:08 AM

Thanks Blee and everyone else, I am looking at doing that excat setup as u speak of but with the Procharger M1 on the 454 Mag, motor has 150 hours on it and has all the paper work for the rebuild, JE pistons, and all, drive has the shower setup, I will be viewing it on sunday with JRapp who has a 242 and know alot about these boats.

Knot 4 Me 09-08-2010 10:13 AM

Survey. Transom and stringers could be rotted on a boat this old.