Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   power cabin door (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/238831-power-cabin-door.html)

509 SC 09-10-2010 10:12 PM

power cabin door

I was wondering if anyone knows how the power cabin door on a Cigarette or other boats work? Is this something that can be retro-fitted to an existing sliding companionway? Any one know of someone who sells power sliders? Thanks, Steve

offshoredrillin 09-11-2010 05:54 AM

it runs off a a pump just like the tabs and has a pole attachment. the left sdie of the door is hollow and the ole attaches inside and the door slides back over the pole. I'm sure you could use a hatch pole mounted sideways as long as you have solid mounting points.

509 SC 09-11-2010 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 3204898)
it runs off a a pump just like the tabs and has a pole attachment. the left sdie of the door is hollow and the ole attaches inside and the door slides back over the pole. I'm sure you could use a hatch pole mounted sideways as long as you have solid mounting points.

So I'ld have to have a fiberglass door like Cig uses, mines just 1/2" plexi. I thought they worked like a power antenna with a motor with a spool and a cable assembly. I guess it's another pipe dream, thanks for the response. Steve

SpeedDoc 09-11-2010 01:31 PM

A Cig I worked on a month ago had a Long threaded rod attached to a motor and the door had a worm gear mounted to it, spin it one way it opens, spin it the other way it closes.

Audiofn 09-11-2010 03:00 PM

You could rig up a linear actuator no problem to do this. Just find out what the travel of the door is and get an acuator the same length.

509 SC 09-11-2010 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 3205303)
You could rig up a linear actuator no problem to do this. Just find out what the travel of the door is and get an acuator the same length.

Jon, Where would I look for something like that? Steve

Audiofn 09-11-2010 08:11 PM

There are thousands of them. Just type in Linear actuator 12 volt into google and you will find lots. You will have to know the travel distance of the door to get the correct one.

REMEDY 09-13-2010 10:11 AM

Mcmaster-Carr.

Roger 1 09-13-2010 01:02 PM

The ones that I have seen have had a custom made two way hydraulic cylinder actuated by a Mercury trim/tab pump mounted under the helm.
If you want to go the electric linear actuater route, these are some pretty good ones. You can obtain them through Motion Industries.

Roger

509 SC 09-13-2010 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Roger 1 (Post 3206553)
The ones that I have seen have had a custom made two way hydraulic cylinder actuated by a Mercury trim/tab pump mounted under the helm.
If you want to go the electric linear actuater route, these are some pretty good ones. You can obtain them through Motion Industries.

Roger

Thanks for the info! Steve