Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What spares/tools do you carry onboard >

What spares/tools do you carry onboard

Notices

What spares/tools do you carry onboard

Old 05-08-2002, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Troutlys list plus air compressor, complete set of air tools (impact, ratchet, grinder, drill, hammer) various electrical supplies (spark checker, VOM, strippers, wire, connectors), canvas/vinyl repair stuff.
I know it's overkill, but I think I have a tool related OCD.
Worst tools: Easyout
Best tools: Case of beer
Gary
Old 05-08-2002, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey skatermike, i run 3 cles ive had some cloggin up and you gotta be good to take off the sideplates in the water,but wwhat tricks do you do with a cloth hanger? tripps
Old 05-08-2002, 08:44 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ALL YOU CAN CARRY + MORE
Old 05-08-2002, 09:14 PM
Registered

I carry bubblegum and a clothes hanger. You would be amazed at what you can do with these two things.

I carry everything that troutly mentioned, plus some spark plugs, an extra washer and prop nut, and prop.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Speedometer tool: 2" length of 1/2"diameter wood dowel with a .090" drill bit epoxied into it. Use it to clear debris from the speedo pickup. Hop in the water and do it blindly. If you drop it, it "falls" to the surface (wood floats).

Jumper cables. Flashlight w/spare batts. WalMart tool kit plus good pair of Klein lineman pliers. Some wire and a $6 multimeter. Transmission Fluid (for trim and power steering) in addition to engine oil and drive lube. Spare assortment of fuses. A few bulbs (nav/stern lignt bulbs, courtesy light bulbs). Tube of waterproof grease. Bar of soap and some Goop (for cleaningh hands and/or arms after fixing). Plastic bucket of assorted stainless fasteners, lockwashers, nylock nuts, and stainless safety wire. Roll of mechanic towels from AutoZone. Small spray bottle of Dawn dishwasher liquid and water to spray on any gas discharge when fueling. Can of starting fluid (ether) to use for starting and for parts cleaning. Can of "liquid electrical tape" for waterproofing.
Prop wrench and sparkplug teehandle.

I keep stuff in a PLASTIC box styled after an ammo box. It has a rubber gasket that makes it fairly watertight.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:04 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

All of the above!

This year I went to Menards and bought a "Gatemouth Jr." tool bag. It is the coolest thing to put your main tools in! It zips shut and when open you can store lots of stuff in the little pouches on the inside. It make finding you tools easy, especially screwdrivers, nutdrivers, pliers, vise grips, etc. Plenty of room for wrenches and sockets, too. Check it out.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ALL of the above (exept air tools )

PLUS : pipe wrench , big hammer ,little hammer , thick work blanket ( to keep from getting burt working around motor ) , spare 1 1/4" hose for water pick up ,( broke one and almost sunk ), timing light , lots of rags and hand cleaner , and spare blower belt !
Old 05-09-2002, 12:11 AM
kwb
Registered

good suggestions...

I would add a water impeller to the list and (1) each of all the belts on the motor and tie wraps.
Old 05-09-2002, 12:18 AM
Luke_Chinewalker

my suggestion would be to buy a triple engine boat but only run on 2 engines that way if you blow an engine or drive you can start up the spare engine and continue on your journey

Old 05-09-2002, 12:55 AM
MIdnightRider

That just triples your chances for the need of more tools and parts. I have had the most need for spare starters in the past. But I carry enough **** to fix about anything, and it always seems to come back to my favorite tool when it gets to that point, BEER, and lots of it.

Quick Reply: What spares/tools do you carry onboard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.