Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is brand more important than a deal in 2010? >

Is brand more important than a deal in 2010?

Notices

Is brand more important than a deal in 2010?

Old 09-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

For you "used boat" guys the analogy still works:

08 42 Fountain 700's/Donzi 43 ZR 700's vs. a OL 700's/Cig 42X 700's is about a 50% difference as well.

For the million dollar income/net worth buyers, you would be stunned how many folks at that level are still price shopping/reconsidering purchases.

Remember if you live in a 100K house that lost 25% in value it is also relative to the guy in the million dollar home that lost the same 25%. To compound the losses, consider the "blue collar" guy might have lost 1/3 of the value in his 401K and the million dollar guy lost 1/3 of his net worth. Now 401K money isn't needed for years so it may come back 100% before you need it but it does affect your thought process on big purchases. Your net worth or perception of it affects how you spend.

This "big purchase" new or used is still only for about 100 hours of use per year! Pretty big commitment for something that costs a fortune and represents about 1% of your time.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You've convinced me. New golf clubs, sell the boat
Old 09-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by VtSteve
You've convinced me. New golf clubs, sell the boat
Ha, golf clubs are something I use even less than the boat!

I bought a new set of Titlest clubs 20 years ago, re-gripped them a couple times and play about twice a year. Play all the time and I get down to about an 8 handicap, play twice a year and I am a solid bogey golfer.......

My neighbor is a PGA agent and is a scratch player, after 9 years as his neighbor I have yet to play with him! I wouldn't want to give him any trash talking ammo for the future!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats some funny stuff there.I wonder if BobbyB ever had a chick do any due diligence before she went out with him.LOL
Originally Posted by rlj676
Fl and Ca have a totally different breed of chick. A Midwest chick does not do her due diligence on cars/boats/homes that Fl/Ca chick does when chasing a wallet!

I don't see how "resale" can be a consideration in favor of the Cig in these two boats here. In 5 yrs, the Cig can lose the entire Fountain in value, even a Fountain won't drop to $0 in five years. j/k

If you buy the new Cig over the Fountain, you know you are paying a premium for the brand and boat you like. A Top Gun is the top of my list for a V, so I'd pay a premium for one for sure. These boats are so far out of my league though I can't really grasp the cost difference.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

For what it's worth. A guy at the marina asked me about a boat in the water he was looking at. He said " Is that a Cigarette boat ? "
It was an older 32' Sunsation. 90% don't know the difference.

Last edited by Interceptor; 09-18-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling