Like Tree0Likes

Running big water in a smaller boat, any tips

Old 09-22-2010, 09:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: Fountain 32

Guys you all need to look at the lighting race in Atlantic City last week end check out that inlet and check out Sharkey imiges they speek for themselvs that is what the Ocean gets like in NJ
Rich
Old 09-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Registered

My Boats: Saber 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hartigh View Post
Our size boats will always want to clip the the top of the next wave since they are not long enough to span them completely. Or you may be letting of the throttle a little to soon and losing momentum. might try just a touch less trim in or tabs.
Yeah, I think I need to stay in the throttle a little longer, but been real cautious about trying to not blow the drives.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Registered

My Boats: SUTPHEN CPBA PRES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraft240 View Post
Gotta be careful..... Conditions change very fast. Here's a video of me running in the inlet. Notice the bow doesn't pop up until I hit a big roller and I'd consider that roller only a 4'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN7n5FdwMGA
Flying it like that and getting it that unlevel is always a bad thing. most would say over trimmed at that point.

Theres a video of a 31 sutphen rolling over on a landing similar to that one.

Sweet video though.

We had some nice water at the pavillion run last week probably 4s with the ocassional 5 or 6 thrown in just off montauk.

Weather underrgound called for 4 to 6's so not sure why we were suprised.LOL

It was a fun ride but I certainly had a little tab in it.
Driveds were tucked some too.
While It was a little tight in the 4's it was perfect in the 5's and it would launch to the sky and land tail first in the occasional sixes.
I was at the back of the pack with a late start so I was also in allot of wakes so they were from every direction.

My point is whats good for one wave is not always good for the next size up, so I try to average the trim and tabs.

My boat is a OB boat though and with the weight / power that far back behind the hull it reacts differently than a BBC boat. Its allot lighter too so it likes to fly rather than crush even with a few degrees of tab in it.

Hope that made sense. Its hard to convey sometimes.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (3)

My Boats: 22 Avanti, 25 Nova, 2 turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree,SBYC

This will help...
Attached Thumbnails
Running big water in a smaller boat, any tips-4875prsr1.jpg  
Old 09-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Registered

My Boats: PQ 260/Laveycreft 29MCOB/ Now Boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraft240 View Post
Its not macho . Fact is, unless your a professional throttleman or racing, you're not running through 5's in a 28 foot boat. Period. You can cruise, around 40, but in no way running 60,70, or 80mph. Just be safe out there. In those waters, like someone else metioned, **** breaks and **** can happen. Safe Boating, Enjoy!!!
Just goes to show you how good racers are, I've watched those Pantera 28ft races and the line between having the bow up too much for a flip from head on wind or too low for a stuff is less than seconds. I don't know how they adjust trim and tabs in that kinda time, perhaps it's just a minor adjustment but I give huge respect to that kind of driving, not to mention throttling back too. That is a WHOLE lot of sensory overload on your brain in a very short amount of time.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: 1999 Checkmate 283 Convincor

hj66, that Saber looked like a good buy. Is it pretty solid?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1992 Progression 22

Man, you could see that stuff coming a mile away! Just way too much tab for the conditions. This is one of the hazards of tabs. I think we can all agree that the ride was a heck of a lot smoother with him plugging the bow through the waves with the tabs down. With no tab in that kind of water, hed be pounding the hell out of both the occupants and the equipment. So this is where you have to feel out the conditions to see how much tab and trim you can run. And as somebody else has mentioned, since the conditions are constantly changing, so are the settings on your tabs and trim.

My general rule of thumb on tabs is that I use enough tab to control the attitude at which the boat flies. What Im looking for is a nice, level, controlled flight. Too much tab and you stuff. Not enough tab and youre looking at the sky. If I err, Id rather err a bit on the too much tab side though since kiting the bow can lead to tripping the stern on the next one followed by a real nasty stuff.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2000 Powerplay 25'

Here's a 28' Pantera running well and getting some big air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehklDnTS_Bs
Old 09-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1992 Progression 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerplay25 View Post
Here's a 28' Pantera running well and getting some big air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehklDnTS_Bs
Some really great rough water driving there! Also probably a really good reason never to buy an old race boat!
Old 09-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen View Post
Flying it like that and getting it that unlevel is always a bad thing. most would say over trimmed at that point.
I try to be extra careful with the kryptonite, being a light, aggressive single step boat. I was heading out of a notoriously rough inlet. As you could see the boat was tracking straight, little side to side motion, but never lost sight of the horizon. Right at that bouy the waves double size before you know what hit you. Only way to learn is to experience. It's those who lose sight of safety in light of fun, or adrenaline, that always seem to get hurt.