Running big water in a smaller boat, any tips >

Running big water in a smaller boat, any tips

Notices

Running big water in a smaller boat, any tips

Old 09-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Running big water in a smaller boat, any tips

I have been playing around with my boat on some rough days and really enjoy it. My boat eats 3-4's is fun in 6's, but gets interesting in anything bigger. I really enjoy the challenge though(and the rush) of picking a good line, reading the water, etc. I havent done much big water running so its been a learn as you go kind of thing. I run in Saginaw Bay/Great Lakes so wave patterns are tight and steep, not very regular so it can be a real *****. I know I need a bigger boat but not in the cards right now, just looking for any pointers from the guys in the know.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4-5....even 6 footers??? 5's in my boat, 29 kryptonite, is pretty much impossible if not just very uncomfortable. I don't think your riding that big of water. But, I typically try to trim the boat down enough so the bow doesn't fly. If the waves are spaced close enough, this allows the boat to ride on top.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

5s & 6s???? Wow. That's some big water, I stayed away from that stuff in my 33'. In Long Island Sound the waves are steep and hard hitting, never been in swells that big but the steep stuff will be real hard on your equipment...hardly fun. Now big holes are common at times and something you have to deal with, but in 5s & 6s you'd have 8 & 10' holes. Like I said...hardly fun. Sorry...can't give you any pointers on 6+.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:33 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjava66
... just looking for any pointers from the guys in the know.
In smaller stuff it's like with a hooker (I imagine)... Just plow through it all and don't care about much....

When it gets bigger then it's like with your future wife.... Take it easy, choose the right path be really careful or it can get VERY expensive, VERY dangerous and dare I venture BORDERLINE deadly....

Have fun now!!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
In smaller stuff it's like with a hooker (I imagine)... Just plow through it all and don't care about much....

When it gets bigger then it's like with your future wife.... Take it easy, choose the right path be really careful or it can get VERY expensive, VERY dangerous and dare I venture BORDERLINE deadly....

Have fun now!!!!
LMAO X 100!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH

Have fun now!!!!
Nice!!!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Registered

lol, I know its strange, and I don't do it regularly, but its fun. I am careful, but I don't want to break anything, but my boat is built like a tank. I wish I knew where the line between fun and damaging is. Went out yeserday, winds straight offshore at 20 to 30 and gusting, pick your poison by distance offshore lol. I was the only boat out that I saw. Came back in dripping wet and grinning from ear to ear
Old 09-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find nearest port. Change underwear.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

if its fun.... You are not in 6s!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dreamer
if its fun.... You are not in 6s!
I always guage by the biggest stuff, so really calll it 4's with an occassional 6. I'm over 6' and if the waves are as tall as me while I'm standing and driving (while in a trough) I call them 6' maybe not best way to judge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.