Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Checkmate Going Small (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/239544-checkmate-going-small.html)

Matt Trulio 09-22-2010 11:17 AM

Checkmate Going Small

I like what these guys are doing, http://boatermouth.com//index.php/ma...io/7/2514.html.

salesmanship 09-22-2010 01:04 PM

Back in the early 80's a 19' Checkmate in sparkly metal flake was a dream boat for me.

Matt Trulio 09-22-2010 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by salesmanship (Post 3214458)
Back in the early 80's a 19' Checkmate in sparkly metal flake was a dream boat for me.

The last Checkmate I helped test with a single outboard engine was a total kick in the pant. Really fun. Decently built. In terms of bang for the buck at around $60,000, I would say it was one of the best values I've seen in a long time.

BlackJack58 09-22-2010 03:34 PM

I think the single outboard market is a good way to go. The P1 Superstock series shows that you can even have some pretty good racing with them; I always thought the 27' cougars they use - with the single 330 and theback seat cockpit covers were pretty sharp boats.

http://www.mby.com/imageBank/h/HeightsofAbraham.jpg

Too Stroked 09-22-2010 04:17 PM

I'd agree with his philosophy in these challenging times. I love my "small" boat and learned how to drive fast and hard in small boats on Lake Ontario. I believe learning in a small boat makes one a much better driver because you can feel everything the boat is doing so much better. I consider myself lucky to have leaned in them.

I know people who've never driven anything under 35' that really have no clue how to drive a performance boat. I can hop in a 42' Fountain and put quite a few folks to shame because of where I started.

Oh yea, and one of my previous boats was a 20' yellow Checkmate Spectra 201. The beloved Ballistic Banana. Not a bad boat.

Keytime 09-22-2010 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Too Stroked (Post 3214681)
I believe learning in a small boat makes one a much better driver because you can feel everything the boat is doing so much better.

I agree 100%. Applies to vehicles, motorcycles, etc as well, IMO.

I've been told a Checkmate is a driver's boat, and I'd have to agree, even though mine is one of the larger ones. Mine loves running loose and fast (like a good woman :evilb:) and it's a blast to drive, but it's never done anything unpredictable or scared me in the LOTO slop. When I run with my friends, they are usually looking over at me checking out my skegs. lol Thanks to the Combs family for a great machine. :drink:

Catmando 09-22-2010 10:23 PM

I like the 28 with twin 300XSs and four bolsters AND a rear bench. It ran almost 82 iirc. At $160 it was pricey but Doug said he would deal. Looks like he's doing a good job with Checkmate after coming over from Baja...

VtSteve 09-22-2010 10:30 PM

Many moons ago, Checkmate used to make a 16' outboard, I think 'maybe' even a 14' OB as well. The hulls had some, errr, problems in those years. But they looked like a blast.

paul235 09-22-2010 10:37 PM

i love my little mate....well i guess its a medium sized one......but yesss they are a drivers boat.....trimmed to the gills with 6 inch pad in the water at 70 don't dare sneeze. :party-smiley-004:

Planetwarmer 09-22-2010 10:50 PM

I absolutely agree. Running a small boat is the best way to improve your driving abilities. You have to drive the boat. I have learned so much in my Donzi 22 Classic the last few years. I am constantly messing with the trim and tabs. It is by no means a set and forget boat. It is sooo much cheaper to run a small boat. And I honestly have more fun in a small boat. There is no need to do 150+ like you have to do to get the same thrill in a 44 MTI as you do in a 20 foot boat. 75-80mph feels just as fast, and costs so little (comparatively).

Too Stroked 09-23-2010 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by VtSteve (Post 3215021)
Many moons ago, Checkmate used to make a 16' outboard, I think 'maybe' even a 14' OB as well. The hulls had some, errr, problems in those years. But they looked like a blast.

They actually made an even smaller one. I forget the model name and specs, but it was around 10 feet long with seating for two and even had a tiny radar arch. There used to be half of one stuck right to the front of one of the Checkmate facilities in Ohio.

outriggers 09-23-2010 08:02 AM

My first boat was a 185 pulse with a 2.5 on it. Should have never sold it. I can't buy a jet ski for what I got for it. I had alot of fun, but it was a handful much above 60. Doug

Too Stroked 09-23-2010 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by outriggers (Post 3215188)
My first boat was a 185 pulse with a 2.5 on it. Should have never sold it. I can't buy a jet ski for what I got for it. I had alot of fun, but it was a handful much above 60. Doug

I think it might be prudent to better define “driver’s boat” here. My 20’ Checkmate required a good deal of skill to drive with a 225 Yamaha on it. I guess that might qualify it as a driver’s boat. On the other hand, even with a very experienced hand driving it, there was definitely an evil side to it. For instance, drive it too hard into a turn, and it would spin out with little or no warning. And, my motor wasn’t very far up the transom on the jack plate.

I consider my 22’ Progression to be a driver’s boat – but for a very different reason. Yes, it takes a practiced hand to make it sing. But when you do, there’s very little in the way of evil surprises. Crank it into a turn as hard as you want – and it just digs in and goes. I often say it’s like driving a Formula One car on the street. I think the big difference between this boat and the Checkmate is how much it communicates with the driver. The Progression is more hard wired to my nerve endings.

When you exceed the rating of a hull, like a Pulse 185 with a 2.5 on it, I’d suggest its well beyond “driver’s boat” territory because there just isn’t anybody who’s going to be able to drive it. Man, that must have been one sphincter puckering mother to drive!

BTW: Some of the most fun boats I’ve ever driven haven’t required a ton of skill to drive.

outriggers 09-23-2010 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by outriggers (Post 3215188)

I should have said it was a 175hp 2.5 it wasn't a 280hp. It took some nerve and skill to find its top end. I would have liked to have hydraulic steering than the dual cable, but I did have solid mounts on it. Alot of bang for the $ buck. Doug

Keytime 09-23-2010 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Too Stroked (Post 3215282)
I think it might be prudent to better define “driver’s boat” here. My 20’ Checkmate required a good deal of skill to drive with a 225 Yamaha on it. I guess that might qualify it as a driver’s boat. On the other hand, even with a very experienced hand driving it, there was definitely an evil side to it. For instance, drive it too hard into a turn, and it would spin out with little or no warning. And, my motor wasn’t very far up the transom on the jack plate.

I consider my 22’ Progression to be a driver’s boat – but for a very different reason. Yes, it takes a practiced hand to make it sing. But when you do, there’s very little in the way of evil surprises. Crank it into a turn as hard as you want – and it just digs in and goes. I often say it’s like driving a Formula One car on the street. I think the big difference between this boat and the Checkmate is how much it communicates with the driver. The Progression is more hard wired to my nerve endings.

When you exceed the rating of a hull, like a Pulse 185 with a 2.5 on it, I’d suggest its well beyond “driver’s boat” territory because there just isn’t anybody who’s going to be able to drive it. Man, that must have been one sphincter puckering mother to drive!

BTW: Some of the most fun boats I’ve ever driven haven’t required a ton of skill to drive.

Mine is more the latter.

Too Stroked 09-23-2010 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by outriggers (Post 3215392)
I should have said it was a 175hp 2.5 it wasn't a 280hp. It took some nerve and skill to find its top end. I would have liked to have hydraulic steering than the dual cable, but I did have solid mounts on it. Alot of bang for the $ buck. Doug

I used to sell Checkmates. I can fully agree with you when you say it was a handfull! That was one sweet looking boat too!

82predictor 09-23-2010 05:59 PM

VTsteve,

I have an '82 16.5' checkmate with a 115 TOP merc. The boat is built like a tank but is a little scary to drive at top speed (about 60 gps). Some guys have bridgeports on these and are running low 80's. Definitely a wild ride, it has about a 6-8" pad in the stern you need to stay balanced on! Way more fun than my Convincor ever was, as long as it was calm!

VtSteve 09-23-2010 06:16 PM

There used to be quite a few of the smaller ones on Winnipesaukee, waaaaay back in the old days. Tall Mercs on the transom of what could be best described as hulls with a steering wheel.

Many split/cracked hulls. Very light boat pounding in the waves. Powerplays there weren't. But along with the Magnum Missiles, I loved them. 60-65 mph was very, very fast back then.