Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Warning to Great Lake boaters >

Warning to Great Lake boaters

Notices

Warning to Great Lake boaters

Old 05-10-2002, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was my thought, too, James, but we've got friends coming up from Cincinnati in late June. We might be able to work something out, but if not, we'll go to "plan B" (whatever that is).
Old 05-10-2002, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Another problem is the Border Patrol, U.S. Customs and INS are not all the same agency. Additionally the INS is scheduled for restructuring this year. It wil be split into two seperate agencies.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:10 PM
wilerty

The two big Poker Runs in the Thousand Islands will be interesting. Especially the larger one in August.

Old 05-10-2002, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleveland Plain Dealer Article

The following article was in the Cleveland Plain dealer around mid-April.
Written by Molly Kavanaugh

Boaters facing tighter security
Fingerprints, photos needed to visit Canada

People traveling on recreational boats to Canadian ports, even for a day, face stricter immigration requirements because of increased concerns about national security.
The government now requires boaters 14 and older to be finger printed and to submit three identical photographs annually at one of three offices along Lake Erie.
In the past, they could apply for the permit once and renew the form by mail.
The changes could effect thousands of boaters like Bill Bechstein of Sandusky. He is not happy about it.
“What is it going to accomplish? I will definitely go get one-it’s the right thing to do,” said Bechstein, who visits Pelee Island and Leamington, Ontario, every summer. “But if they’re doing it for security reasons, I think they’re just kidding themselves.”
The program is currently known as the Canadian Border Boat Landing Permit program, or Form I-68.
It began in 1963 in Minnesota to facilitate boating and fishing in boundary waters.
The program expanded nationally, and a fee was attached in 1995.
“The program is really designed to accommodate legitimate boaters,” said Frank Pangas, area port director with the U.S. Immigrations and Naturalization Service office in Cleveland.
Under the changes, the form will still be valid for one year, and the annual cost, $16 per individual or $32 per family, has not changed.
Boaters who do not wish to apply for an I-68 still can report in at one of the eight 24-hour videophone stations in the Cleveland area each time they return from Canada.
Those sites are: Ashtabula City Public Dock; Fairport Harbor, Grand River Marina; Mentor Lagoons Marina; Chagrin River Yacht Club in Eastlake: East 55th Street Marina in Cleveland; Cedar Point Marina in Sandusky: Brand’s Drydock Marina in Port Clinton: and Put-in-Bay dock master’s office on South Bass Island.
Terry Jackson, Manager of Leamington Municipal Marina, said 8,000 to 10,000 Ohio guests visit the marina every year.
When the I-68 program first began, Jackson was worried that it would start to keep U.S. boaters away.
Those worries were unfounded.
He’s not sure what to make of the new requirements.
“I don’t think it will hurt us, but if (INS) got real bad with this, it could be major problems for us,” Jackson said.
Letters about the changes are being mailed to the 2,000 boaters currently listed with Cleveland’s INS office as having an I-68 form.
Pangas said that, based on his conversations with boaters at the Cleveland boat show in January, he suspects many visit Canada without the form.
U.S. boaters who fail to comply do not face a penalty per se, but they may be inconvenienced by having to produce documents, said Ins spokeswoman Kimberly Weissman.
Border patrol inspections and enforcement will be enhanced this year, Weissman said.

HOW TO APPLY FOR A PERMIT
IDENTIFICATION:
People applying for a permit must bring proof of citizenship and photo identification, plus three identical photographs. Children younger than 14 do not need to be present, but their birth certificates must be presented.
COST:
$16 per applicant annually or $32 per family (husband and wife, their parents and their unmarried children younger than 21). Payment must be by check or money order.
APPLICATIONS:
Will be taken in May at the following INS locations:
Burke Lakefront Airport,
1501 North Marginal Road,
Cleveland: Tuesdays through Fridays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
(216) 522-2265

Feick Office Building,
Suite 206, 158 E. Market St.
Sandusky:
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
(419) 625-2194

AFTER JUNE:
Call the office for an appointment.

IN TOLEDO:
An appointment is always needed, Call (419)-259-6474

If I read this right, It says that you do not need the I-68 form but must call/check in at one of the ports with a video phone.
MR OFFSHORE.... When I was younger I learned a lesson the hard way. NOTHING OUT RUNS A RADIO!

Cordell