Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Warning to Great Lake boaters (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/23965-warning-great-lake-boaters.html)

turbo2256 05-09-2002 08:03 AM

Warning to Great Lake boaters

I have been warned that Canadians / Americans crossing boundries and are cought will have a hell of a time getting back.

Shane 05-09-2002 08:12 AM

Please clarify.:confused:

Milord 05-09-2002 08:21 AM

You will have no problem at all as long as you have an I68. If you do not have one, you will have problems and it is a $500 fine for everyone on board you vessel that doesn't have one. Oh and the fines are all given to the owner of the vessel not the person without one. So make sure if you plan on crossing those imaginary lines in the lakes that seperate Canada and the US that everyone on board has an I68. They require you to bring 3 small photos, like passport photos and a couple pieces of ID to a customs office. They will keep 2 of the photos and one gets put on the I68 form. They also finger print you. The cost is $16.

Team V 05-09-2002 08:23 AM

Has anybody been on the St. Lawrence river yet, 1000 islands area, and have you seen extra security measures?

Shane 05-09-2002 08:25 AM

That was my next question. Do these same rules apply to the St Lawerence/1000 Islands area? What is an I68?

Milord 05-09-2002 08:27 AM

I'm not positive on the location. I think it is everywhere there is a border. I am positive that I need it to go to Michigan or Ohio. It is a goverment form that basically says that you have been cleared to go between the 2 countries without having to go to customs or call them everytime.

RickA 05-09-2002 08:33 AM

I thought I read somewhere that the I68's where temporarily suspended due to 9/11

You may want to call US Customs to make sure.

Milord 05-09-2002 08:36 AM

They are no longer suspended. Many of my friends already have them. The change was that you now need the pictures and the finger prints. That was their answer to 911.

freckles 05-09-2002 08:38 AM

James, we were told you need an I68 if "you drop anchor or set foot on Canadian soil" (for us Americans), rather than "cross the border". Is this how you heard it? In other words, we can cruise thru Canadian waters, but as soon as we drop anchor and stay awhile or get out and walk around in Canada, we're hosed without an I68.

Did you get one yet and where did you get it?

Christine

turbo2256 05-09-2002 08:41 AM

From what I have been told there is no provision for crossing lines in a boat not enough customs people to do the job. Due to 9/11... The Americans / Canadian are hashing out how to handle this but at this time there has been no resolution to the delema according to my flotilla comander.