Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Poker Run Questions....opinions Wanted! >

Poker Run Questions....opinions Wanted!

Notices

Poker Run Questions....opinions Wanted!

Old 09-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poker Run Questions....opinions Wanted!

My friends and I have talked about putting on a Poker Run here on the Ohio River for several years and next year might be the year we actually do it. I have some questions and wanted my fellow OSOs to chime in.

1. Total distance and distance between card stops. I have mapped out several possible routes, but how long is too long?

2. How important is it to start and finish at the same location?

3. Entry fee and payout ratio. I want to make it friendly so that anyone could participate, but also would like a nice turn out of equipment. We would donate part of the money to a local charity. What kind of money would make it fun, yet interesting?

Finally, what are some of the best poker runs you have been to and what made them so great? What little things would you do or like to see in a poker run?

Any ideas or comments will help me greatly, just trying to put on a run that a guy with the 20' boat will have as much fun at as the guy with the 40 footer!

Thanks!
JC

Old 09-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Step one. Talk to a lawyer and some insurance people. No Joke.
If you organize the event, you MUST have yor azz legally covered but good.

Total distance of around 100 miles is what we generally aim for.

Start doesn't matter but finnish should be where the evening's festivities will happen. Need time for a dockside tail gater after the run and public viewing of the boats.
Best option is to have a host hotel nearby for obvious reasons.

As for payouts, can't help ya there. We stopped doing that a while back and ALL the cash goes to the named charity.

We do have 50/50 draws at the event though so someone usually gets some decent coin to take home although oftef a percentage of that prize gets donated back as well.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its best if the start ( where you launch) is where you end.

Some people yank their boats out immediately after the run so they can leave after dinner.

Have seen a lot of runs lately not actually using cards during the day. Avoids clusterphuck of banging into docks etc grabbing cards out of a fish net at each stop if its windy.

Deal all 5 cards before dinner at end.

Actual prize $$$ at end doesnt matter. Give away trophies instead.
Have other prizes for best paint and exotic engine compatment . Makes it fun.

Enjoy !!!!