Notices

San Diego to Cabo Record Run!

Old 09-29-2010, 04:11 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerboat Magazine
"After a complete rebuild, the 632-cubic-inch engines are going into the catamaran early next month. Conrad expects to be able to cruise at more than 100 mph in the Pacific Ocean (conditions allowing) while keeping the engines around 4,000 rpm with a low boost setting."
That's what we run on DOI about 100@4000 rpm and actually we are not in boost at that point. Running it for 8 hours might be a task however.

I wish them good luck, it's an ambitious project I hope the local Federales and controlling druglords leave them alone. If not they could always do San-Fran to LA that's one that has been done.

Hope you guys have good weather and make it.

Last edited by GLH; 09-29-2010 at 05:03 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:27 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

....especially with how quiet things have been on the endurance racing front.
Come on Joe, Jon & Charlie have just won the "Around Long Island" deal and Tom gave a whack at beating the three hour and change time last weekend. The Brits seem to be gearing for there " Around Britain" race in 2011 (they did it in 2008, here is a 90 minute documentary about it; http://boatmad.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=21439 ), I just read stuff here about Britain to Monaco coming back to life...Charlie (TopBanana here)and HORBA are working on Miami - Key West deal, these Powerboat Mag guys should read more of what us "nitwits" online are posting on message boards.

Plus Bob (Bobthebuilder here) knocked Key West to Cancun down couple years back... http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-jennifur.html

As for other long distance stuff here are a few I gathered a while back, those indeed have been left alone for a while;

I guess Miami to NY would be held by the Gentry Eagle;
http://www.gentryeagle.com/page4.html

CHAPMAN TROPHY 1988
Miami to New York
Boat: Gentry Eagle
Record time: 19 hours & 17 minutes

It refers to the "Charles F Chapman Trophy" apparently this gentlemen;
http://www.motorboating.com/articleHtml.jsp?ID=21015985
http://www.chapman.org/index.php?main=2&nav=12

The trophy is apparently form "Motorboating Magazine";
Article June 1963...
"Anyone looking for a new trophy? Motorboating Magazine has placed the Charles F. Chapman Trophy into competition. It will be awarded to any motorboat owner who runs his boat from*Miami*to New York faster than Sam Griffith did with his Bertram rig last year.
Those who try, but fail to improve on Griffith's mark, will get certificates.
Chapman is the boatman who navigated for Gar Wood on the record-breaking 1921 Miami-New York trip. No one did it faster until Griffith came along 41 years later."

Holder as far as I can see of this trophy have been the following;

1962 Sam Griffith / Bertram

1964 Charles Johnson / 31h 32m same article as below

1974 August Dr. Bob Magoon / 22h 41min 15sec /40 Foot Cigarette... ref;
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...37/1/index.htm

There is reference to a try in 1976 by Billy Martin in NJ no idea how it worked out, here;

I think this is the one that interests me however.... for now;
Tampa-Miami 3:45
Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES

Originally Posted by*SHARKEY-IMAGES*
From SBI's website:

Fabio Buzzi Sets new Super Boat International World Record Run from*Tampa*to*Miami*

MIAMI, FLORIDA – November 25, 2004 – Key West World Championship racer sets a new Super Boat International World Record run from*Tampa*to*Miami. After racing in a three race format World Championship Race in Key West and winning the title of World Champion in his class on November 21st, legendary racer Fabio Buzzi placed his FB Design vee bottom race boat on a trailer and headed for the*Tampa*Skyway Bridge. Fabio had one more feat for his boat before it headed back to Italy, which was to make a new record run.*

At 7:41:00am on Tuesday morning, the Sony boat was back in the water with a crew of three and heading for the marker at the entrance of*Miami’s Government Cut, it arrived at 11:28:30am. It took the crew 3hrs-47min-30sec to make the trip, beating the old record of 3hrs-57min-00sec. Fabio Buzzi accomplished this amazing triumph with his 47’ FB Design hu
Isotta Fraschini diesel engines with tri max drives.*

Super Boat International Productions, Inc. sanctioned this record run and owns the rights. The official timers were Bill Livingston from*Tampa*and Gary Ballough in*Miami.*

Congratulations to Fabio Buzzi’s crew Gianfranco Zanon, Monica Rapezzotti, and Binda Antonio all from Italy.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ld-record.html

GL

Last edited by GLH; 09-29-2010 at 05:08 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

....especially with how quiet things have been on the endurance racing front...........quiet? don't know about Jon and Charlie but my ears are still ringing!
Charlie and HORBA are also working on a 4 race series for next season, LI, Great Lakes, Florida, and West Coast. The Brits have promised to return to LI to attempt to bring the V-bottom trophy home. Not only do they have Round Britain, they have many other endurance events as well. Endurance racing is alive and well in Europe.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:20 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
I thought that may have been you there. I should of came over and said hi. Glad you liked the boat!
Yea, that was me, I'm very un-assuming - LOL!

That was the first time I've seen Mike in exactly 20 years, last time we met he was with his mom!!!!!!

You guys have some operation, I like the special projects going on, to say I was floored was an understatement. I wish all of you the best of luck and I'll be stopping by more often as I'm putting an agent in Boston.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
I think this is the one that interests me however.... for now;
Tampa-Miami 3:45

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ld-record.html

GL
With a machine like that and living in the northeast, I'd think you'd be chomping at the bit for that Around LI Race or a record attemp at the same. In fact, hit me up if you need a hand with nav, sticks, or the wheel!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND
Until then buy a Sonic
Now that's funny!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As cool as it sounds...I just don't see them making it. I wish them luck and I will be there to see them off.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree.The San francisco to Long Beach already has a record to beat and far safer than 800 miles in Mexico with all that is going on down there.
Since there is no known "record" for the mexico run-they could go 50 mph and claim a new world record.
It kind of reminds me of a offshore race with one participant who then claims to be a world record holder.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skater40
I agree.The San francisco to Long Beach already has a record to beat and far safer than 800 miles in Mexico with all that is going on down there.
Since there is no known "record" for the mexico run-they could go 50 mph and claim a new world record.
It kind of reminds me of a offshore race with one participant who then claims to be a world record holder.
It is not as much about a record as it is to support the sponsors. However, if there currently isn't a record (I don't know) then it never hurts to set the bar for the next guy to try and top.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quicklt1
yea ok... outerlimits cant even make it around Long Island..

good luck sounds like a H@LL of a run

Last edited by RunninHotRacing163.1; 09-29-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.