Notices

cougar boss 42 ?

Old 09-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cougar boss 42 ?

I just bought a 1989 cougar boss 42' with twin 460s but dont know much about them i am redoing the boat i could use any info on these boats that i can get and what they are worth i cant find any to compare to did they not make very many of these
Old 09-29-2010, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome aboard and congrats on your boat. Those are awesome rough water boats. Contact Cougarman or CougarUS1 (I think) on the board he has a lot of knowledge on these boats. I'm sure he will show up on this thread soon when he sees it. Post pics.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by fieroguy
I just bought a 1989 cougar boss 42' with twin 460s but dont know much about them i am redoing the boat i could use any info on these boats that i can get and what they are worth i cant find any to compare to did they not make very many of these
Sorry don’t have as much info on these.
my understanding if my memory is correct, that this is the splashed
version of a cougar built on American soil by a different group other than the by Steve Curtis in England at Cougar Powerboats.

From what I was told this caused some serious bad blood between the two company's as you can imagine.

Try to get a hold of Sean Stinson here on OSO he knew quite a bit about it from back in the day.

Anyways congrats on your purchase, hope she serves you well.

Hope you have some pictures to share with us?

Jon
Old 09-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a smaller version of your Boss Cougar. Cougarman pretty much summed it up nicely. The Boss Cougars were built on 188th street, by A.J Roberts sometime around 1985+. Not a lot of history or boats which were produced on US soil, so details are few and far between. Brownie might be able to tell you more about the company or your boat.

With that said, they are very stout and solid cats with nice deep tunnels, great for offshore useage.

Post some pics when you get a chance.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have pics but dont know how to post them i dont get the url thing but thanks for the replys i know now it isnt a cougar there was a lot of confusion on the paperwork does anyone know if these have any real value to them just want to find out how nice to make it dont want to make it to big of a hole in the water
Old 09-29-2010, 08:13 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact Steve Curtis he can be found through the Miss Geico shop.....He can tell you the whole story.....Someone stated in an earlier post about them being built on 188th st that is very true and Mr Roberts was the man behind Boss Racing Team.....They were basically right across the street from where Fort Apache once stood!!!!! Brownie should have alot of info on this as well!!!!
Old 09-30-2010, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

When Cougar moved back to England (After Tony Roberts bought the Building) the deal was anything left at the building after a certain date was his (so he thought) The first thing he did was Pop a mold off of the 46' V bottom (this saved him from actually having to design & build boats on his own) then he popped a mold off the 30' Cat with the very narrow tunnel. From his 46' mold he made a few 38's & 42's and a tripple omc (Lol) powered 46' for himself. When they blocked the mold to make the smaller 38 & 42 models they had a problem with the temporary Transom block breaking loose, which also loosened up the Gel & glass on the rear running surface (Check your Bottom for straightness/Hook) He built 14 boats for the Venezuailan Navy 7 42 V's & 7 30 Cats all with arneson drives & 300hp Merlin Deisels. some of those V bottoms had a 4" deep Hook 4' long. they filled them with Gel Paste and Polished it. ( I bet it came off in pieces the size of a birthday cake) anyway, tony roberts was NOT a Boat builder but he did make copies of a good boat (not good copies of a boat-don't get them confused) If the bottom of your boat is good and straight go enjoy it anyway.

Last edited by fastdonzi; 09-30-2010 at 05:42 AM. Reason: f
Old 09-30-2010, 05:45 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And there you have it folks!!!!!! Straight from a person that was there!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

i have pics but dont know how to post them i dont get the url thing but thanks for the replys i know now it isnt a cougar there was a lot of confusion on the paperwork does anyone know if these have any real value to them just want to find out how nice to make it dont want to make it to big of a hole in the water

If your not a paying member you may not be able to add pictures.

If you are......when you are writing a comment for a post.
scroll down below the submit button and you will see another
button that says manage attachments.

Click that....then you next page will have five slots to add pictures.
click browse for each of the five slots to retrieve the photos from
the folders you have them saved in.

Then hit up load

Then hit submit when your all done.

Jon
Old 09-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

As far as real cougar or copy......general consense is most people think
they are bad azz.

Selling either is a whole different story.
they are truely an aquired taste and preference.

So don't get caught up in the value, hole in the water etc.
if you love boating, its an extension of you and how custom and trick
you make it. Have fun with it,.....that is the reward.

No body re coupes the money we spend on these things.
its just a passion, there's boaters that will do this as long as
the possibly can. And thers portfolio boaters that will come and
go cause there bored with it.

As far as the boat and any problems it may or may not have.
anything can be fixed properly with todays shops and technology.

There is a wealth of info on OSO and they guys can always help keep you pointed in the right direction. What shops to work with and what shops not to work with.

Lastly if you do any major work, fiberglass repairs etc. Document all the work with photos, paper work, the shops etc.

Then if you ever sell, you can add that comfort level to the next buyer
with all the proper sweat equity added to the boat.

Doubt. It will bring any extra money, but is a nice piece of mind.

Enjoy the boat, still a great rough water ride.

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.