need some info/input on challenger 28 ddc boats >

need some info/input on challenger 28 ddc boats

Notices

need some info/input on challenger 28 ddc boats

Old 09-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some info/input on challenger 28 ddc boats

Stumbled on one and don't no anything bout them and Google isn't generating much useful info...

Any useful info is much appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

They made a 28' and 33' offshore. DDC (Duo Delta Conic) is a Harry Schoell bottom design. Active Thunder uses this design as well. The MSWP uses the 28's on LOTO, though they are starting to replace them with OB CC's. Challenger bought the old Mariah molds when they went out of business in the early 2000's and reintroduced some of those models.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Registered

They junk or what? I'm hearing flak about there craftsmanship being questionable.... kinda scary.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Not to poo on anyone that owns one, but IMO the fit and finish was lacking. Not sure on their construction. I know the MSWP beats the living crap out of them on LOTO. Not sure how well they hold up.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Registered

The one I'm looking at is an 07, and has never been titled with 20 "demo" hours aka thrash hours since it has a 600 merc racing motor. Lol... bolsters look cheap as well as the cuddy. Makes me leary... how does this boat stand up to ky 03 288 sunny engine differences aside?
Old 09-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do some searches on here for past threads. From what I am told they had a lot of plywood construction in the cabin; just black painted plywood. There was a newly delivered 28 at the Emerald Coast Poker run a few years back that was an electrical mess and left the owner stuck out on the water with only the ability to start the motor, no tabs, no trim, no lights, nothing.

As far as performance, I can't really comment directly, but:
AT makes the 33AT with their tuned version of the DDC bottom and it runs 92+mph.
Challenger made their 32' (33' with platform) and their DDC bottom and it only ran 82mph as tested in a magazine review.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Registered

I have a DDC-28.. a 1997 model actually that I purchased from the MSWP as it had been replaced with a CC Donzi. Obviously there are some differences in the boats on their construction, as I have a friend that has a 28 and another friend with a 33, Both newer models that were customer ordered with options. They are fond of their boats except for a few little things and the customer service they received from the plant. Mine on the other hand has been a "project boat" as it was a Plain Jane since it was for Enforcement. I have went through it all and put in complete interior and cuddy interior which was a "drunk tank" before. I will post some pictures to you if interested, but I will say the boat I have is built like a TANK and is underpowered in my opinion with the stock Merc 454 Magnum. I am building a blower motor 500EFI for it now, that should give it plenty of umpfh. It had a Bravo three drive when purchased but I removed it and installed a Bravo XR on it as my project dictates the need. I received all service records for the boat when I purchased it, a couple years ago.. It currently has 1920ish hours on it and the engine has never been touched by records except some tune ups and a fuel pump. It had had the transom replaced as did 18 of the 20 boats the MSWP had of this model as one of the state mechanics had told me. These boats I am sure were beat to the pulp given the work they did, however mine has NO stress cracks anywhere except on the swim platform where it had bumped into something obviously. I am very pleased with how solid mine is and is VERY deserving of a big powerplant... Mine I am sure would last me a lifetime with proper care and maintenance. According to some information I have found on the net, My boat was number 11 of 12 (by serial number) built in Ohio as they had jobbed out some of the police boats to be built for them as they were behind on production in Missouri. Maybe that is why mine seems like a rock verses what some others have had to say about these boats. I had Prestige build me a custom trailer for it prior to them going out of business as I bought the boat without a trailer. Anyone who sees my boat has no idea she is nearly 14 years old now (hull). I would buy another one if the price was right.. but it would be a 33.