Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Have you had a boat crash? And did you get back into boating? >

Have you had a boat crash? And did you get back into boating?

Notices

Have you had a boat crash? And did you get back into boating?

Old 10-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

We flew a 25 talon about 8 to 10' in the air when the hatch blew open due to me trying to be cool and replace hatch pins with hatch lifts (the pins were there for a reason). It went perpendicular to the boat tossed us up in the air at 110 ........the hatch finally broke flipped down over the out drive and flew us right back into the water right before we were going over. We took the hatch off and ran it some more that day. I put the hatch pins back in too with the new hatch and hatch lifts.
I will always remember that day. More cautious but still stupid fast.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stuffed a 46 Skater at 108mph. Lost three motors and came back on one. Still boating!! Know your boat, drive under control. Have fun!!! Good luck and be safe!
Old 10-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Registered

Glad you are ok, As said before it must have not been your time.

I think just before labor day one of our members here was killed when he was thrown out of his boat while another person was driving.

A number of years ago another member here had his boat throw him and his friend out of his boat. That person lived but I do not know if he made it.

About 3 years ago a fountain made a sharp turn on Lake
Travis. Both the driver and his young daughter were thrown out. The girl made contact with the side glass on her way out of the boat. She died either at the hospital or on the way there.

Thank your angel.

Accidents like yours and the ones I have listed stay in the back of my mine when I am out running hard.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by orthos1
We flew a 25 talon about 8 to 10' in the air when the hatch blew open due to me trying to be cool and replace hatch pins with hatch lifts (the pins were there for a reason). It went perpendicular to the boat tossed us up in the air at 110 ........the hatch finally broke flipped down over the out drive and flew us right back into the water right before we were going over. We took the hatch off and ran it some more that day. I put the hatch pins back in too with the new hatch and hatch lifts.
I will always remember that day. More cautious but still stupid fast.
That blows my mind, I never knew what the pins were for! I have an exposed motor, so don't have pins.

I'm glad you pointed that out, as members should know what those pins do, and why they are there.

I would have never thought on them as a safety issue.

I would have assumed it would just get blown off, but guess when running on the limit and balance, anything like that will through the balance out of whack, and could be tragic.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Never in an accident myself but vividly witnessed to two of them.

The first time I was 18 yrs old. A friend launched from a tug-boat wake. The bow had to be 15-20 ft in the air and the stern over 6 ft. The boat landed on it's side while the driver was half-way out of the boat. After it hit the boat rolled right side up and flopped the driver back into the cockpit. Simultaneously one of the passenders was ejected out of the stern of the boat and the other passenger landed on the dashboard. The driver suffered fractured vertebrea. I had the pleasure of holding his neck until the paramedics arrived. The passenger who was ejected suffered only a concusion. The other passenger suffered a broken tailbone and fractured elbow. (Owner of this boat had speed boats most of his life, he made a mistake)

The second time was last year. I was running the Apache in some rough water with my friend in his 41' Velocity. We were crossing raritan bay (ocean portion) running about 75 mph. The 41' hit a rougue wave, shot up high, tripped, stuffed and rolled over to the stbd side, ejecting the driver from the boat. The boat then hooked to the right where it came to a stop. I immediately stopped my boat so fast that I stalled an engine. I rescued my friend (driver) from the water, he suffered several broken ribs. The other passenger wasn't injured but was hit in the chest by the steering wheel when the boat stuffed. The side of the boat delaminated from the impact and the water pressure thru the side vents hydrolocked one of the engines. (Owner of this boat had speed boats most of his life, he also was a former racer, he made a mistake)

So... do I fear it? Hell no but as said above, I have a great respect for it!

Last edited by Panther; 10-06-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Turbojack;3224008]Glad you are ok, As said before it must have not been your time.

I think just before labor day one of our members here was killed when he was thrown out of his boat while another person was driving.

A number of years ago another member here had his boat throw him and his friend out of his boat. That person lived but I do not know if he made it.

About 3 years ago a fountain made a sharp turn on Lake
Travis. Both the driver and his young daughter were thrown out. The girl made contact with the side glass on her way out of the boat. She died either at the hospital or on the way there.

Thank your angel.

Ditto
Thank your angel.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your accident.

Don't forget your wife and friends. Talk to those you boat with on a regular basis. Don't get this kind of stuff bottled up. A boating friend of mine, crashed he's formula a little while ago, fractured he's skull. To begin with, he didn't talk much about it, simply because he felt imbarased. It wasen't anything he could have done different. Boat destroyed a drive, hooked and stuffed. We are now going to buy helmets for the fast runs.
Always check that your equipment is in as good running shape as posible, and drive as the conditions permit.
After he's been talking to he's wife and son, the guys at the marina, he "eager" to get back on the boat next summer. For the moment he's taking slow trips on our cruiser, just to get a feel for the water again.

Go easy, you can't rush these things.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Registered

i have raced bikes boats and cars. not to sound like an ass but its easy to die going fast its a lot harder to live with a permenant disablity. eventually your skill or luck will run out. guys that say just respect the water or get back on your horse after a close call probably have never been on the real edge. you got away with an incident do you really want to push it.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

I haven't myself, even when racing. Thankfully.

However, I have been sidexside with two accidents. Both with 2 ejections. Miami race in 2005. ScottyB and his co-plot launched, tripped and stuffed. BRUTAL, as witnessed by hi def video onboards. I turned into the race course perpendicular to the Supercats that were coming back around and got both onboard. We actually put them back in their boat and Scotty actually ASKED TO KEEP RACING.

Second time, a 35' Fountain pleasure boat with a NEW owner was running beside myself and a few other members. He was being reckless and tripped, stuffed, launched and stuffed again, sideways. Both occupants ejected, and Newton's Law being what it is, landed ahead of the boat and had the boat land ON THE SAME spot. I actually jumped in expecting to retrieve two bodies. Both were okay except for a seperated shoulder.
Afterwards the other members and myself actually debated putting the boats away and driving to Shooters for the day. We all agreed that we needed to GET BACK at it. I ahve never looked back but I do respect the water MUCH more as a result.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Now I can see how lucky I was.

Found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI

(I was not jumping waves, just going straight, on smooth water)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.