Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
23' Warlock thinking of re-rigging with big power this winter...suggestions? >

23' Warlock thinking of re-rigging with big power this winter...suggestions?

Notices

23' Warlock thinking of re-rigging with big power this winter...suggestions?

Old 10-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 23' Warlock thinking of re-rigging with big power this winter...suggestions?

I have a 1996 warlock 23' xri mid-cuddy. Currently running 70mph with worked 454mpi and bravo 3. I am kicking around a big motor 800hp or more with a different drive. I love the boat and its size for our lake I just want to go much faster.
Questions.
1. Will the boat handle that kind of hp well? safety issues at speeds 90 to 100mph?
2. Will a shorter lower unit help, looking at a xr drive with imco or sportmaster lower 2" shorter? How do I measure to check and see what would be preferred or is it trial and error? Should I run an extension box?

There are 2 to 3 boats on our lake running 85mph+, I would like to run with them or faster, but I still want to have a dependable fun lake boat.

Thanks for any suggestions, I know many people on here have rigged plenty of boats, I just hoping I can minimize mistakes.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

just saw you have a b3 drive but give your numbers ,whats your X now measure from gimbal center of the shaft to the bottom of the keel most are 16 to 18 '' or measure from propshaft being level up to the keel that could be 4'' to 8'' depending on boat. I've seen boats without steps and notches run 3 3/8'' to 5'' picking up speed and handling. so if your at 5'' you could try a 2'' shortie and pspace it down 1/2'' to 1' if needed. post in the warlock section to see if a box works on them.keep us posted

Last edited by AIR TIME; 10-06-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
just saw you have a b3 drive but give your numbers ,whats your X now measure from gimbal center of the shaft to the bottom of the keel most are 16 to 18 '' or measure from propshaft being level up to the keel that could be 4'' to 8'' depending on boat. I've seen boats without steps and notches run 3 3/8'' to 5'' picking up speed and handling. so if your at 5'' you could try a 2'' shortie and pspace it down 1/2'' to 1' if needed. post in the warlock section to see if a box works on them.keep us posted
Thanks, I'll have to measure and see. By the way, how do you like the konrad?
Old 10-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last edited by SS930; 10-06-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're idea of reliable is rebuilding the engine every so often and eating a XR here and there, it sounds like a package you might be happy with.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SS930
If you're idea of reliable is rebuilding the engine every so often and eating a XR here and there, it sounds like a package you might be happy with.
I was hoping if I ease into the throttle, since the boat is so light, that it might last. What drive would you recommend? #6 would probably be out of my league.