Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Outerlimits Fuel Tanks Leaching? >

Outerlimits Fuel Tanks Leaching?

Notices

Outerlimits Fuel Tanks Leaching?

Old 09-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outerlimits Fuel Tanks Leaching?

Any One Know The Deal About Fuel Leaching With The Outerlimits Fuel Tanks? I Looked At A 39 Ol And The Owner Was Having The Fuel Tanks Replaced Due To Fuel Leaching The Boat Was Only An 2005 And Already Needs The Tanks Replaced. He Said This Is A Common Problem When Outerlimits Switched From Alum Tanks To Composite Lighter Tanks. Anyone Else Have This Problem Or What Years They Used These Tanks. I Was Going To Buy A 39 But Now With This Problem I Dont Wanna Buy A Boat And Have To Cut The Floors Out And Replace Tanks, The Boat Will Never Be The Same.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Registered

bump
Old 09-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Registered

why do you feel the boat will " never be the same " ?
Old 09-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Registered

had a fuel tank replaced in a boat one time, and began to flex and boat just was never like it was new
Old 09-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As with all pre ethanal boats, the fuel cells were constructed differently. Ask other manufactures, they have had their share of incidents. Also the fuel cells were manufactured by atl. Not Outerlimits, and they are installed in all brands of boats.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tgersx
had a fuel tank replaced in a boat one time, and began to flex and boat just was never like it was new
So you are saying that a bladder replacement is different then changing a motor or drive ? Maybe the tank replacement you had completed was done incorrectly ?
Old 09-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by animalhouse
As with all pre ethanal boats, the fuel cells were constructed differently. Ask other manufactures, they have had their share of incidents. Also the fuel cells were manufactured by atl. Not Outerlimits, and they are installed in all brands of boats.
If I'm reading this correctly, this person is saying, that, the fuel tanks were switched from aluminum to composite, during the building process, by Outerlimits sometime in the last 5 or 6 years. Does ethanol-blended fuel deteriorate aluminum fuel tanks? How long does it take for the composite tanks to deteriorate and need replacement?
Old 09-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Registered

So Fred is there an easy way of replacing these tanks without cutting the boat apart? I imagine its not as easy as swapping an engine or drive. And if the floor does have be cut up don't you think OL should take some responsibility and fix these boats? Were only talking about boats made within the the past 5 years not a 10 year old boat. I understand that you guys did not build the tanks, but it was your decision to use them. Who would want to by an slightly used OL knowing that they are going to have to replace the fuel tanks.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Registered

If i owned one of the above, it would be sitting in driveway, with all batteries removed and no shore power hooked up. we know what happens when we have fuel vapors and a ignition source. if that happens you will need to make only 2 phone calls, 911 and your insurance adjuster.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by whataride
So you are saying that a bladder replacement is different then changing a motor or drive ? Maybe the tank replacement you had completed was done incorrectly ?
As far as I know replacing a drive or an engine does not require cutting the hull or the floor, unless Outerlimits has provided an access hole or cover to remove tanks which would be great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.