Notices

Ride Share/Boat Slutting

Old 10-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its a great idea. Its a great opportunity to meet more people off oso. And you can always background the person on here. One post and you will most likely get a few replies about the person in question.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Terrible idea for liability reasons. If someone got hurt the site could be sued. I hate lawyers.........
Old 10-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Sounds perfect

-Artie
Far from perfect, it gets the job done, but is a handful to drive http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuq55nvN3vo
Old 10-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Terrible idea for liability reasons. If someone got hurt the site could be sued. I hate lawyers.........
Without citing specific articles, the communication act deal stipulates that a website that survives basically on the postings of the masses is not responsible for those posts.. like craiglist arguement about hooker adds... craigslist was never sued or charged I dont think. So oso would not be in the liable catagory as the forum provides an oppurtunity for people to discuss ride sharing but doesnt actilvely arrange it itself.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm worried that it would just turn into a bunch of guys begging for rides and would get over run with such post in short order. Plus if someone did post to offer a ride, I can see them getting 20 responses from all sorts of people. I think it has the potential to work, but there will have to be a lot of behind the scenes communication to make sure suitable people hook up for boat rides.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by baywatch
Scott, I agree with your statements. My personal biggest fear would be I line something up and Angel and I show up and we are with a crew similar to the crew in the white trash fountain ad on ebay.

I suppose it would boil down to the old risk/reward scenario.

As far as the hot pics of Angel that doesn't work so well with her career if you know what I mean. I haven't even mentioned to her yet that the trip probably isn't happening. I actually have three different options for her to choose from since we already have a sitter for the kid to stay at our house and take him to school and stuff (plus she would kill me if I didn't have a contingency plan).

Hey Scott, our other condo is open this weekend and we have room in our boat for the harbor hop (you could even bring the kids, we'll have Everest with us).
Thanks for the offer. I was tossing around the idea about coming down all week, but decided I would stay here and boat the river. I've got about 3/4 tanks still left and this is probably gonna be last weekend to burn it up. Playing golf in an hour and kids have soccer stuff all weekend too.

i know what you mean about the pics of Angel and was 99% jokin around.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Without citing specific articles, the communication act deal stipulates that a website that survives basically on the postings of the masses is not responsible for those posts.. like craiglist arguement about hooker adds... craigslist was never sued or charged I dont think. So oso would not be in the liable catagory as the forum provides an oppurtunity for people to discuss ride sharing but doesnt actilvely arrange it itself.
There is an ISP distinction for sites that are relatively unmoderated like CL. It gets trickier for sites like OSO that have more moderation/rules people involved with running the site.

I agree though, there probably isn't any liability for the site in publishing the thread. There may be enough to get it into court though, and sometimes that's all it takes...

Last edited by wjb21ndtown; 10-08-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I think things got slightly off track once we started into the liability end of things. If someone that I offered to join me at loto and stay in one of my condos for free ( hell, would probably even pick them up from the airport) had the audasity to sue me for a stumble I guess karma would hopefully get them and what karma didn't take care my umbrella policy would.

Pretty much you post: Looking to attend John Doe poker run would be my wife and I. Or We just had to members of our crew bail on us for the John Doe poker run looking last minute to fill their seats.

At that point anyone that would want a couple passengers for john doe poker run or could fill the vacated spots could send a pm with contact info to me and I can get with them to hash out the details. Pretty much it would just be an organized section to make the request. Would become way to busy if there was a bunch of back and forth banter in the area. The idea would be keep it simple and let the parties involved iron out the details. Definately not looking to create an auction area/highest bidder situation at all.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Caincando1
I'm worried that it would just turn into a bunch of guys begging for rides and would get over run with such post in short order. Plus if someone did post to offer a ride, I can see them getting 20 responses from all sorts of people. I think it has the potential to work, but there will have to be a lot of behind the scenes communication to make sure suitable people hook up for boat rides.
Great points and that is why I think something like a trade of sorts I'll show you my area and you show me yours" would work well and that would weed out the meat head types that are just looking to spill beer in someones boat.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Thanks for the offer. I was tossing around the idea about coming down all week, but decided I would stay here and boat the river. I've got about 3/4 tanks still left and this is probably gonna be last weekend to burn it up. Playing golf in an hour and kids have soccer stuff all weekend too.

i know what you mean about the pics of Angel and was 99% jokin around.
I figured you were joking, have fun on the river.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.