Notices

Ride Share/Boat Slutting

Old 10-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
BTW, 4 of us OSO's are leaving Marco Island this afternoon for Key West and have some room if you can get here by 2 PM. LOL

Bob

See ya in 2 hours Just kidding Bob, but the rides I was referring to were with you, Birdog, and a few others, thanks again, I would offer a return ride in my high powered canoe, but it is well................... just plain ghetto compared to the experience you guys gave me. I AM going to run to cabbage key with a few of the outboard guys next week, and if all goes well, may join you guys for the Thanksgiving run

Rick
Old 10-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just like I would be leery of letting a stranger ride with me I would be hesitant to ride in someones boat I dont know.
Some people seem very nice on the forums but drive insanely or
behave badly around large groups.
As for trades I would rather just cover some of their costs and make my own arrangements. Cover 1/4 to 1/2 (depending how many on boat) the fuel and entry fee for the person giving me the ride.
Just like when buy a boat and/or car maybe best thing would be to reference other members and ask for reccomendations on who would be a good match ?
Old 10-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like an awesome idear...
Old 10-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
Just like I would be leery of letting a stranger ride with me I would be hesitant to ride in someones boat I dont know.
Some people seem very nice on the forums but drive insanely or
behave badly around large groups.
As for trades I would rather just cover some of their costs and make my own arrangements. Cover 1/4 to 1/2 (depending how many on boat) the fuel and entry fee for the person giving me the ride.
Just like when buy a boat and/or car maybe best thing would be to reference other members and ask for reccomendations on who would be a good match ?
Good points. And in many cases I think monetary would be the way to go. I also agree with driver styles and tendencies. For instance over the shootout Donnie from leverage potentially needed a ride one day. I told him no problem but I also laid out the plan for the day, the fact that we would be out from 10am till dark and that the ride home would be a bit bumpy due to all of the boat traffic. So, people would have to be honest with one another as far as the plan, expectations etc..
Back to the golden rule I guess, "Treat others how you would want to be treated."

Bob, I also think the charity idea is a great one as well. Wish I could get there by two LOL. At least we have the Harbor Hop at LOTO this weekend with a forecast for blue bird skies and temps in the mid 80's so I guess it could be worse.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by baywatch
Good points. And in many cases I think monetary would be the way to go. I also agree with driver styles and tendencies. For instance over the shootout Donnie from leverage potentially needed a ride one day. I told him no problem but I also laid out the plan for the day, the fact that we would be out from 10am till dark and that the ride home would be a bit bumpy due to all of the boat traffic. So, people would have to be honest with one another as far as the plan, expectations etc..
Back to the golden rule I guess, "Treat others how you would want to be treated."

Bob, I also think the charity idea is a great one as well. Wish I could get there by two LOL. At least we have the Harbor Hop at LOTO this weekend with a forecast for blue bird skies and temps in the mid 80's so I guess it could be worse.
What if you were to make arrangements to have someone(or yourself) pay $$ for a ride on your boat, or you on theirs, then someone gets injured, and there is evidence online about the exchange of $$, sounds like lawsuit to me. I would prefer to show someone a good time, then when back at the dock after the run if they wanna kick something in it is up to them, or the preferred way of just oweing each other rides. The $$ exchange to me sounds like too many people not buying boats knowing they can come on OSO and offer $$ to pay for a ride whenever they decide. I am not putting down the section, I think it is a great idea, and I love to meet new people, and show them around down here, but there needs to be some rules laid out before it becomes a free for all.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
What if you were to make arrangements to have someone(or yourself) pay $$ for a ride on your boat, or you on theirs, then someone gets injured, and there is evidence online about the exchange of $$, sounds like lawsuit to me. I would prefer to show someone a good time, then when back at the dock after the run if they wanna kick something in it is up to them, or the preferred way of just oweing each other rides. The $$ exchange to me sounds like too many people not buying boats knowing they can come on OSO and offer $$ to pay for a ride whenever they decide. I am not putting down the section, I think it is a great idea, and I love to meet new people, and show them around down here, but there needs to be some rules laid out before it becomes a free for all.

I agree, when money starts changing hands it can become a liability nightmare. I'd much rather show someone a good time and have them buy me a cold beverage, than ask for or accept cash. I love Bob's idea of a charitable donation as well.

I also think it could become somewhat of a free for all without some general rules. I get asked for enough rides, and I don't have anywhere near the hardware that most have. Don't get me wrong, I love sharing boating with others, but I can only imagine how many people would just start posting asking everyone for rides.

As an aside... we will be in Naples the last week of April, and are planning to drag the Formula down with us. I hope we can put some faces to the screenames of the some of southwest FL crew.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
I think it is a great idea Josh and worth exploring. We often get OSO's visiting SW Florida and some have joined us for an FMO event. Many are too shy to ask when seats are available but if there were a system in place to facilitate it, would be great. Rather than take money I have sometimes suggested if a person wants to make a donation to FMO's charitable fund raising would be nice.

BTW, 4 of us OSO's are leaving Marco Island this afternoon for Key West and have some room if you can get here by 2 PM. LOL

Bob
I would like to go on your next big trip to the VI or wherever really, I would love to learn from you the navigation aspect of getting a trip together, planning, plotting, executing, etc

Let me know, ill pay my way, and maybe some of yours as well
Old 10-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
I agree, when money starts changing hands it can become a liability nightmare. I'd much rather show someone a good time and have them buy me a cold beverage, than ask for or accept cash. I love Bob's idea of a charitable donation as well.

I also think it could become somewhat of a free for all without some general rules. I get asked for enough rides, and I don't have anywhere near the hardware that most have. Don't get me wrong, I love sharing boating with others, but I can only imagine how many people would just start posting asking everyone for rides.

As an aside... we will be in Naples the last week of April, and are planning to drag the Formula down with us. I hope we can put some faces to the screenames of the some of southwest FL crew.
I am sure you won't have a problem getting people in SW Florida to show you around, we just put together a run to Cabbage Key in a short period of time over on S&F with the outboard crew. I usually ride alone(wife is not much for traveling to go for a boatride, or rough water), and always have room on the boat for 1-2, but I also do not have the flash that some here have, just a skinny little boat with 3 seats, and a big motor strapped to the back
Old 10-08-2010, 11:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild
I would like to go on your next big trip to the VI or wherever really, I would love to learn from you the navigation aspect of getting a trip together, planning, plotting, executing, etc

Let me know, ill pay my way, and maybe some of yours as well
Randy, I know you well enough that I can say, it will be a pleasure to have you along. I am shipping Team PREDATOR back to St Thomas in late January and will spend time on and off in the Islands thru until late May when we will again do the 2011 BVI poker run before coming home. My next adventure will be going all the way "down Island " so there will be lots of opportunity. We can talk further as we get closer.
Bob
Old 10-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
just a skinny little boat with 3 seats, and a big motor strapped to the back
Sounds perfect

-Artie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.