Like Tree0Likes

Where do you midwest guys boat?

Old 10-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by baywatch View Post
LOTO for us. I can make it in 2 hours door to door from st. charles county.

Eddie on here has a nice house for sale on carter lake west of Omaha. Not huge but can get on the water from your place and still come to LOTO once a month like griff.

Carter Lake is east of Omaha, actually as far east as you can go without driving into the river. Buy that house, move here, then on the first day of work tell everyone in your new office that you bought a house on Carter Lake and watch the wide eyes and dropped jaws. Let's face it, other than the few nice houses on the canals, it's a friggen war zone down there. No way in the world you would walk a block away from your home day or night. There is a reason that house won't sell and Carter Lake is the reason. I live on 192nd and Pacific and the homes sell as fast as you can put a sign up. With that being said, Lotto or if you have a small boat Branched Oak down by Lincoln isn't bad. I used to Live NW of Omaha at Newport Landing which is a private lake and only allows 22' and under boats, but it's 1,000,000 times better than Carter Lake.

I believe Griff's an Omaha cop, tell us about the City of Carter Lake and the parts of Omaha that surround it. If you're from Detroit you'll feel right at home.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Registered

My Boats: Spectre 30, 1999 Blown 540's

Come join us at Mark Twain Lake, NE Central Mo. We have several from Iowa every weekend. IT's a Corp Engineers Lake, but peaceful, no chop to speak of, 2-Marinas, no bars though.
17,000 acres normal pool to 35K at fuller levels.

It's probably 250 miles from Des Moines.

Cheers
Old 10-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Registered

My Boats: 36' Apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by isellpower View Post
Carter Lake is east of Omaha, actually as far east as you can go without driving into the river. Buy that house, move here, then on the first day of work tell everyone in your new office that you bought a house on Carter Lake and watch the wide eyes and dropped jaws. Let's face it, other than the few nice houses on the canals, it's a friggen war zone down there. No way in the world you would walk a block away from your home day or night. There is a reason that house won't sell and Carter Lake is the reason. I live on 192nd and Pacific and the homes sell as fast as you can put a sign up. With that being said, Lotto or if you have a small boat Branched Oak down by Lincoln isn't bad. I used to Live NW of Omaha at Newport Landing which is a private lake and only allows 22' and under boats, but it's 1,000,000 times better than Carter Lake.

I believe Griff's an Omaha cop, tell us about the City of Carter Lake and the parts of Omaha that surround it. If you're from Detroit you'll feel right at home.

Wow, what do you really think about Carter Lake. LOL..

I am sure Scott would be happy to share some "cops" stories.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:39 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....

Quote:
Originally Posted by isellpower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by baywatch View Post
Wow, what do you really think about Carter Lake. LOL..

I am sure Scott would be happy to share some "cops" stories.
West of the city of Carter Lake is North Omaha. It is very poor and there is a lot of crime including shootings, drugs, and your typical ghetto street crime.
It is probably the poorest and most violent part of the city of Omaha.

If you head east out of Carter Lake, you are on Abbot drive which leads to downtown Omaha and the riverfront. Downtown Omaha is very safe and has lots of restaurants, bars and hotels, the Qwest Convention Center and new ball park for the CWS.

The actual city of Carter Lake is very small, probably less than 10 square miles. There are a quite a few of what people would be referred to as white trash there. There are also some very nice neighborhoods along the lake where eddie's house is. You can get a lot more house there than you can on any other small lake in the Omaha area.

It really depends on what your needs are. If you travel a lot and/or work downtown, then it would be a very good option to consider. Its 5 mins from downtown and the airport. Airplane traffic noise is not bad at all since most flights enter from and leave toward the east.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Registered

My Boats: Saber 28

Thanks for the info guys. Not sure if its going to happen or not, but at least if it does I could possibly keep boating. Griff-Pretty sure Carter Lake is the lake you go by when you leave Epply? I have family in Omaha and get there semi-regularly. Im not much of a city dweller, I like being within reasonable distance of all the perks though, so if I do move out there it will be in the outskirts somewhere. Omaha is a great area, have always liked it when I visit, though some parts have gotten pretty bad, and the growth/sprawl in the last 30 years is phenomenal.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:01 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjava66 View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Not sure if its going to happen or not, but at least if it does I could possibly keep boating. Griff-Pretty sure Carter Lake is the lake you go by when you leave Epply? I have family in Omaha and get there semi-regularly. Im not much of a city dweller, I like being within reasonable distance of all the perks though, so if I do move out there it will be in the outskirts somewhere. Omaha is a great area, have always liked it when I visit, though some parts have gotten pretty bad, and the growth/sprawl in the last 30 years is phenomenal.
Yep, that is Carter Lake. Right across the street form Eppley. I actaully live on the east end of Papillion which is a suburb just south of Omaha. I'm about 10 mins from the Bellevue Marina.
Also, only 15 mins to downtown Omaha.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (7)

My Boats: What ever they let me us

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjava66 View Post
We didn't build in West Omaha due to the taxes and traffic problems. I work downtown and it takes me less than ten minutes to get to work each morning. I was born and raised in Omaha, but the taxes were not worth it for us. We love being on the water at 5:00 p.m. every night after work and having the boat in the back yard ready for a spin. It's like living in the country with all Omaha's city services w/out having to pay for them. The Qwest Center, Old Market, new ball park, river front project are all taking off now too. Lot's of changes going on at the lake these days: http://www.carterlakepreservation.org/