Notices

Carbon fiber vinyl

Old 10-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigboat28
I was looking for a whole interior pic done in the carbon vinyl. Mine is going to be yellow just cant decide what to do.
Here is one in the silver.
Attached Thumbnails Carbon fiber vinyl-dscf3820-small-.jpg   Carbon fiber vinyl-dsc00361-small-.jpg  
Old 10-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator
Jeff,

All vinyl testing for Baja Marine was done by Sea Ray, and I better not post any documents owned by them. The test boats at Baja never lasted more than a year, but the carbon vinyls we used held up well, and passed the SR testing.

Here are some stadards, and terms to look for in testing of vinyl products:

REFERENCE DOCUMENTS:
• ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials)standards: See table 1
• AATCC (American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists) standard: 147-1998(99)
• SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) standard: J855-1994
• Federal standards: 191-5304, 191-5651.1, 191-5874
• CFFA (Chemical fabrics and Films Association): Standard Test Methods, Glossary of terms for the Chemical Fabrics and Film Industry
• CIE ( International Commission on Illumination) : S001/ ISO IS 10526 Colorimetric illuminants, S002/ISO IS 10527 Colorimetric observers

DEFINITIONS:
Abrasion - Measurement of the ability of the chemical coating to resist surface wear when rubbed against another (abradent) surface.
Adhesion – A measure of the force required to separate a chemical coating from the base substrate.
Bacterial Resistance – A determination of Bacteriostatic activity of chemical coated fabrics.
Blocking – Unintentional adhesion between plastic films, or between a film, and another surface.
Colorfastness to light – A determination of the resistance of chemical coated fabrics to exposure to laboratory simulated sunlight.
Color variation - Total amount of color change (listed as E in tables 2 and 3) between master and sample being tested. (DE=[(L)2+(A)2+(B)2 ] in the CIELab system)
Crocking – A measure of resistance to transfer of color from a chemical coating to another surface (usually a fabric) by rubbing action.
Fabric – Refers to the textile material used to enhance the physicals of the composite formed by the coating/lamination of the plastics to the textile. The fabric usually is in a woven, knitted, or non-woven construction. Woven fabrics consist of fabric formed on a loom with two separate yarns (warp and filling) that are at right angles to each other. The two yarns go over and under each other in a designated pattern. Knitted Fabrics are formed by a single, or multiple yarns, making interlocking loops. Non woven fabrics are formed by laying a continuos web of random spaced fibers to form a uniform batting. The fibers are then bonded to form a fabric by chemical adhesion, thermal or chemical processes.
Flex - A determination of the change in surface appearance of a chemical coated fabric when subjected to multiple flexing.
Low Temperature Resistance – The measurement of the ability of a chemical coated fabric to withstand cracking at low temperature.
Mildew Resistance – A determination of the ability of a chemical coated fabric to resist fungal growth.
Tear Strength – A measurement of the force required to continue or propagate a tear in a coated fabric.
Tensile strength – A measurement of the force required to break a coated fabric.
Volatility – A measurement of Volatile weight loss of a chemical coated fabric when subjected to an elevated temperature.

WOW..thanks..in a nutshell..will the CF interiors last as long as the std very good type of vinyl, or should I use it in accent areas.. thanks again.Jeff
Old 10-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

That is the question I am wondering about too, also does the carbon fiber hold and show more dirt?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the question I am wondering about too, also does the carbon fiber hold and show more dirt?
We have found that they hold up much better than the standard vinyl. They also dont show the dirt as much. Do they retain the dirt, I'm sure. but you will be able to go longer during the day without having to wipe it down.
Customers and other boaters in my area have mentioned how much more durable they seem and hold up.

BTW. The feeling of them is a bit more stiff than the standard. But a good upholstery shop will allow for that with the padding.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dale,

I think you would be happy with the carbon fiber as an accent color in the Pantera. In my opinion all carbon fiber might look out of place in a classic 88' But you could get away with deleting the sewn channels to update the look. Any vinyl with deeper texture will be tougher to clean. The best method would be to use a small (soft) brush, with Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and dry towel for deeper stains. Just one opinion.

XT
Attached Thumbnails Carbon fiber vinyl-100610_1457.jpg  
Old 10-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Registered

XT, I was actually thinking just a straight yellow interior in carbon fiber. You don't think that would look good in my boat? I need some ideas, I can't decide what to do. The colors I would like to work in are yellow, purple, lime green and maybe some orange. The boat is yellow with 2 strips that are the color in the seats. There are pictures of the boat in the Pantera forum.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Registered

I am fine with getting rid of all the chanels. I like the interiors in the newer 28's.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Registered

XT, any ideas?
Old 10-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry Dale, I was hoping to see some other opinions posted on this issue. At this point I would have to say we need to send you some vinyl samples to play with, or just bring the boat north to work with? Post the question in the Pantera section to see what other owners think!

XT
Old 10-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Registered

XT was it your phone number?