Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Thinking about buying a go pro camera. >

Thinking about buying a go pro camera.

Notices

Thinking about buying a go pro camera.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a couple of vids on my ski using various mounts including the suction cup. Even though it's on a safety line, it has yet to come off, even as hard as I run it. Also, when you shoot at 720p wide angle, it shoots at 60 frames per second. That means you can slow it down to 30 frames (normal speed) and get some smooth slow motion shots. The only downside is their sound and how any shaking can get amplified. I am an audio engineer for a living, so I am able to squeeze out my engine noise and enhance things in general. GoPro offers a bunch of options to their mounts and I hope to calm down the rattling through that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twUdIQMGzUs

Also, get the anti-fog strips! That's what's up with the first clip.

Slomotion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCsfguQHkxs
Old 10-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a good friend of mine got a new gopro and this is what we got the first time out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_csmVp3QhKU
Old 10-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
The HD model is pretty new, although the one a friend of mine just got is different from the one I bought in May. If you're going to watch the videos on and older TV, a laptop or your phone, the HD is probably not needed. If you're watching on a mid-size or larger HD TV, go for it.
The one C_Spray is referring to is mine, got it last week direct from GoPro, couldn't find any deals on E-bay, yahoo etc. I bought the GoPro Hero HD 960 for $175 but it doesn't come w/ the suction cup mount that C_Spray had which ended up being another $30. Works well, easy to use.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I should be clear that the only difference that I could determine between NASCAT's GoPro and mine was the markings. His came with updated firmware, but I was able to download the new version as well as an updated owners manual for free. The suction cup mount was part of the "Motorsports" kit that I bought. (It was good enough for a 127 mph run...)
Old 10-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Chuck what about the Upside down mode, did you determine yours had that too? Symbols UP for up & UPd for upsidedown videoing.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
The suction cup mount was part of the "Motorsports" kit that I bought. (It was good enough for a 127 mph run...)
The suction cup holds extremely well. I've had mine on the side of my car at over 190 mph... too bad it wasn't turned on at the time. The only thing I'd worry about on a boat would be a significant wave hitting it... the mount is a little flimsy to withstand something like this.

Another mount I found to be really helpful is the roll bar mount. It's very secure and camps on to any round-ish bar less than 2" in or so in dia. I got the ebay seller to throw that in when I ordered mine.

I had the fogging issue too. What I now do when possible is to leave the camera and case (open) in the sun a little while to drive off as much moisture before use as possible before I seal it. Drastically helps...
Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Verdict is in go with the GoProHD much better optics...

Now I need another cam cause I lost the one on the snout in the lake yesterday!!!

In cockpit from yesterday.

Press "YouTube" icon bottom right of picture then in the new window press 720HD bottom right of picture where it says "360" and then "expand" right beside it.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4HCfe-Xjc0[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by GLH; 10-20-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Question: the "crackling" noise you hear in a lot of the videos, what is that from?
Old 10-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Chuck what about the Upside down mode, did you determine yours had that too? Symbols UP for up & UPd for upsidedown videoing.
It does now. That was part of of the free firmware update.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
Question: the "crackling" noise you hear in a lot of the videos, what is that from?
The microphone is the weak point. Even though it fits snug in its casing, any part of the mount systems that rattles will translate to the mic. (Sound travels much better through solids) That's my only gripe and I am trying to mellow down the shaking to minimize that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.